bachmann 08

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm

first off yes it looks nice and runs well ( when it runs )

but why oh why do these models get such good press ( they are cr*p !! )

baught it new on saturday from a good local model shop and got a large discount because of damage from new ( yes quite a few handrails had snapped ) and because not running well out of the box

also it is a br blue weathered version and although overal the weathering is ok the box just ahead of the cabs left hand side with the two circular plates has eaither avoided paint or they have attempted a totaly unprototypical oil slick between the two circular access plates

also i am suspecting connecting rods and cranks/pins etc are plastic

fair enough i got it cheaper but to be fair if i calculated a realistic value it would be nearer 25-30 quid

on my recconing id rather sacrifice detail for quality or pay more for decently made details in metal ..

User avatar
TK421
Posts: 962
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm
Location: Faringdon with one R

Re: bachmann 08

Postby TK421 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

The hornby version is meant to be the better of the two. However I got the bachmann version second hand as hornby don't produce it in the black livery (which i'd say is the best livery to suit this loco) but i've not had any of the problems you describe, mine was dcc fitted when I got it and she runs perfectly at slow speed. Maybe bachmann have let there standards slip over the years in the production of these models.

As for the weathering I had a bachmann 4mt with an entire side rod in ex-works condition I can only assume the previous one had snapped in service and this was it's replacment :P I generally find factory weathering a poor attempt as it usually is just some dirty brown paint sprayed around the bottom.

As for the crank pins and rods I thought they where metal as my paint wouldn't adhere very well when I tried weathering it but again standards could have slipped.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

User avatar
Roger (RJ)
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK.

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I don't think you have any reason to complain. You seem to have known it was a poor runner and had bodywork damage.
tornado64 wrote: got a large discount because of damage from new ( yes quite a few handrails had snapped ) and because not running well out of the box
..
The Bachmann 08 is well thought of by many who have bought it and generally has a good reputation as an accurate model with good haulage power.

Maybe you could take it back and politely ask for your money back as it doesn't fulfil your expectations or swap it for another model?

Brossard
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 am
Location: Brossard, QC

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Brossard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Agree with Roger re the Bachmann 08. I had the Hornby 08/09 and fitted sound to it. The level of detail on the Hornby version is excellent and I think it looks better than the Bachmann. However, the gears made a loud noise and it just wouldn't run slowly over electrofrog points without stalling, despite my efforts to try to adjust the pickups (not easy to do because of the design). The main thing about the Bachmann model is that the center axle is sprung - this makes good running more probable.

I am disappointed in the bonnet handrails, which are plastic, mine are broken.

WRT to poor running, my advice would be to check the pickups and ensure they are in contact with the wheels at all times. If not, remove the wheels and adjust the pickups. Phosphor bronze is very springy and it is well nigh impossible to tweak them sufficiently with the wheels in.

John
John

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Roger (RJ) wrote:I don't think you have any reason to complain. You seem to have known it was a poor runner and had bodywork damage.
tornado64 wrote: got a large discount because of damage from new ( yes quite a few handrails had snapped ) and because not running well out of the box
..
The Bachmann 08 is well thought of by many who have bought it and generally has a good reputation as an accurate model with good haulage power.

Maybe you could take it back and politely ask for your money back as it doesn't fulfil your expectations or swap it for another model?


as i said in my OP.....baught it new on saturday from a good local model shop and got a large discount because of damage from new

the whole point is that i have never had such a cra**y flimsy model in my life ( i have had more robust airfix WW2 biplanes )

the whole point is that it is made with cheap shoddy materials ( others have said the same ) at present i have ripped off a fair percentage of the handrails to replace them with metal scratch built ones

the whole point is that an item should be fit for purpose being that a model railway loco receives a lot of handling to get on and off tracks etc the fragility of this model falls well below par

personaly i'd give the hornby price for a properly built bachmann 08 with parts made from decent materials

a strip down and some scratchbuilding will see it right , but it shouldn't happen with new items i get the impression from this loco that i will not waste money on bachmann products again

User avatar
Forfarian
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Forfar, Angus

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Forfarian » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

It does not sound very NEW to me, I think the guy was trying to off load it.


If you understood that it was damaged, poor runner and cheap, then you cant blame Bachmann for these problem, you pays your money!
Tim
aka Forfarian

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Forfarian wrote:It does not sound very NEW to me, I think the guy was trying to off load it.


If you understood that it was damaged, poor runner and cheap, then you cant blame Bachmann for these problem, you pays your money!



doubt it as i said it is a reputable shop , the wheels had no marking on them indicating no running , the problem is a typical airfix / mainline / bachmann

the detail is good and they generaly run well ( for a while at least) but the mechanicals / build quality leave a lot to be desired !!

User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: bachmann 08

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:22 pm

The Hornby version is delicate as well. Most of my products are Bachmann except the 08 (that is Hornby) From my own research it seems that Hornby has far more issues with their products that Bachmann does. The dealer should have sent the 08 back not sold it cheap, it looks bad on Bachmann and they (in this case) have not had a chance to rectify the issue.
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
Shaun Wilson
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm
Location: Banff , Aberdeenshire

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Shaun Wilson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 pm

How did the shop owner know it wasn't running well if it doesn't look like it has been run. Damage from new would suggest it was damaged in the post or while in the owners possession, which would also suggest it has been thrown about a bit. You sure the shop owner never used it as a stepping stool to get too a high shelf.

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm

thebritfarmer wrote: The dealer should have sent the 08 back not sold it cheap, it looks bad on Bachmann and they (in this case) have not had a chance to rectify the issue.



why on earth should he if i was content to buy ??? the issues with the handrails were reported in a video reveiw on you tube ( so why not buy cheap and repair instead of paying full price knowing you are without doubt going to have to repair it anyway ???

the running will probably be paint from the weathering ( but then again it shows a slapdash build !! )

all i can say is that those who think these are " quality " items , have never witnessed a quality item !!

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Shaun Wilson wrote:How did the shop owner know it wasn't running well if it doesn't look like it has been run. Damage from new would suggest it was damaged in the post or while in the owners possession, which would also suggest it has been thrown about a bit. You sure the shop owner never used it as a stepping stool to get too a high shelf.


i asked to see it run and to check it ,it had issues running from the start ( i feel it is paint from the weathering and broken rails ) so negotiated a fair discounted price from the shop owner ( who is more than superb by the way )

this is in no way a retail complaint i negotiated a deal knowing the problems so i could rectify them later

the whole point is that it is cheap and tacky build quality , to be fair compare it to an 0-6-0 i recently baught hornby ex dapol austerity 0-6-0 i have stripped that handled it roughly , cut down interior parts to fit dcc , and guess what ( all handrails and detail stayed in place ) because they are made out of decent maerials and are fitted well

both are in the same price ball park

ollieollieollie
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Sunny Norfolk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby ollieollieollie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Nowt wrong with mine. Runs fine & all the detail bits are firmly attached. Very happy with it. But then I didn't buy one that I knew from the outset was damaged & didn't run very well & then decide to moan about it. :o

Bigmet
Posts: 7792
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: bachmann 08

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

tornado64 wrote:...why on earth should he if I was content to buy?...

Yeah, you sound so deeply contented. Paid too much for a known to be damaged and poor running item. Whining now...

User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: bachmann 08

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm

tornado64 wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote: The dealer should have sent the 08 back not sold it cheap, it looks bad on Bachmann and they (in this case) have not had a chance to rectify the issue.



why on earth should he if i was content to buy ??? the issues with the handrails were reported in a video reveiw on you tube ( so why not buy cheap and repair instead of paying full price knowing you are without doubt going to have to repair it anyway ???

the running will probably be paint from the weathering ( but then again it shows a slapdash build !! )

all i can say is that those who think these are " quality " items , have never witnessed a quality item !!



Because you think badly of Bachmann and it goes against their reputation. Had he sent it back this could have been avoided and you could have bought one without issues to begin with.

I don't get your point of this thread though you are moaning about the issues of this model but are content to keep it and refit the handrails etc...just doesn't make sense IMO.
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
tornado64
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: north west uk

Re: bachmann 08

Postby tornado64 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
tornado64 wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote: The dealer should have sent the 08 back not sold it cheap, it looks bad on Bachmann and they (in this case) have not had a chance to rectify the issue.



why on earth should he if i was content to buy ??? the issues with the handrails were reported in a video reveiw on you tube ( so why not buy cheap and repair instead of paying full price knowing you are without doubt going to have to repair it anyway ???

the running will probably be paint from the weathering ( but then again it shows a slapdash build !! )

all i can say is that those who think these are " quality " items , have never witnessed a quality item !!



Because you think badly of Bachmann and it goes against their reputation. Had he sent it back this could have been avoided and you could have bought one without issues to begin with.they all have issues the hand rails are far too flimsy

I don't get your point of this thread though you are moaning about the issues of this model but are content to keep it and refit the handrails etc...just doesn't make sense IMO.



it makes perfect sense !! others that do not have my modelling abillities are going to buy this product and when the innevitable hand rails snapping off does happen they are going to be pissed !!


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests