Model Railway on TV tonight

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Postie

Model Railway on TV tonight

Postby Postie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Hello all

Don't forget tonight on BBC4 at 9pm " The joy of train sets - the model railway story". It's got a good write-up in the Radio Times and should be interesting.

Regards
Charles

Dugie Diesel

Re: Model Railway on TV tonight

Postby Dugie Diesel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately ive just seen this post (10.30) but im sure it will be repeated so ill keep an eye out :)
Don't mess with my Choo Choo.......

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 pm

iPlayer FTW!

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm

It's repeated tomorrow (Thursday) at 03.00 but note that it has sign language accompaniment. Otherwise it's on again on Tuesday 29th at 12.30am without sign language.
Robert Smith

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 am

anyone got a recording I could borrow?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 am

Well I thought it was a good programme, entertaining and a reasonably balanced views. Pity though it only brushed over the recent developments in the hobby, made no mention of the later commercial and technical changes such as the general move to China for manufacturing with the associated improvements in model quality, or the move towards DCC etc. Probably would have een better as a two parter.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 am

I think it wisely left the later years of our hobby well alone to be honest. The hobby itself has become so diverse that the programme could have ended up being a six parter with the normal viewer losing interest halfway through the second episode. The programme from the outset made it clear that it wasn't about the railways themselves it was about the history of how train sets & model railways got to where it is now to continue being an excellent hobby. I think it got that point across very well without getting too technical for the layman.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am

That Breton metre gauge model by Maggie and Gordon Gravett. What a brilliant piece of scratch building even the Citroen H van looked like you could jump in and drive it away.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am

The prominent use of the Hornby-Dublo 'Father and son' advertising was marred only by the narrator failing to point out the necessary extra finger for railway modelling.

But it was a decent overview of how the hobby began and developed in the UK. Good to see a few really exceptional layouts, like the Gravett's 'Pempoul' and Mike Sharman's old Broad Gauge set up, which is thirty years ago now and still looks the business.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 am

Bigmet wrote:The prominent use of the Hornby-Dublo 'Father and son' advertising was marred only by the narrator failing to point out the necessary extra finger for railway modelling.

But it was a decent overview of how the hobby began and developed in the UK. Good to see a few really exceptional layouts, like the Gravett's 'Pempoul' and Mike Sharman's old Broad Gauge set up, which is thirty years ago now and still looks the business.

Did you also recognise the narrator on the vintage footage of Mike Sharmans broad gauge layout. None other the late Eric Thompson (Emma Thompson's father)who was also the original voice over to the Magic Roundabout!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 am

On the whole it was enjoyable and a worthwhile watch. I'd have liked a little more about recent developments and maybe the first 20 minutes + on Basset Lowke tilted the balance a bit, but a good show.

However, some of those shirts, beards and haircuts from the 70s. Will we ever outlive that image ?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 am

Hmmmm.........no edit here.

I meant to add that on scratch-building, Pendon could have had five minutes, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

A good programme I thought which brought back a few memories for me. I too remember the Hornby box on Christmas day and the track on a board waiting downstairs. That model of the French meter system was fantastic as was Pete Watermans layout. I met him once and his enthusiasm knows no bounds. I thought that the linking of "Thomas" and young people becomming interested again was a valid point. I liked the China Clay model and it's builder also. There was no snobbish superiority about him was there?

All in all a very well presented documentary which my wife enjoyed as well.
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:30 pm

I thought it was a very good program too. There have been some comments on here relating to not enough 'modern' content. The program's title was 'the joy of train sets, the model railway story' not forgetting that the years leading up to 'modern technology 'are far greater in number than the years since so I personally think the balance was about right.

E2V your comment suggests you don't have satelite TV tuned to Brit channels. It might be possible that you can get Astra 2b coverage there in Finland. When I sold up and moved here to France I was surprised to learn it's possible to get a signal and that you don't need a Sky card either. I'd left mine with the house because I thought the card was co-ordinated to my Sussex address, it seems I could have brought the equipment here and used it without any problem. [lesson learned]
I'm now about 500 miles south west of Sussex where I lived before, you're probably about that distance north east of the UK, you might need a 90 centimeter dish though.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Lysander wrote:...However, some of those shirts, beards and haircuts from the 70s. Will we ever outlive that image ?

In my case, definitely not. I look pretty close to an Iain Rice/Bob Symes cross from among those who featured in the prog.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”