Improving point switch blade contact

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clivef5915

Improving point switch blade contact

Postby clivef5915 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 am

Hi all,
I'm sure I've seen something about this somewhere but I'm blowed if I can find it (or am I dreaming) It's to do with improving electrical contact on Peco points between the switch blade and the stock rail. Is it that a small 'spring' (similar to the overcentre spring) is placed between the two rails at the heal? Have a look at Brian Lamberts sketch which will probably show it better than I'm describing it. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Points
Or is there another way which will improve electrical continuity other than relying on switch blade contact?
Ps - all track work is down and ballasted so anything to be done will have to be from above as it were.

Cheers in anticipation
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Flashbang

Re: Improving point switch blade contact

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 am

Hi
On Insulated frog points you can add two Hornby digital clips (8232) per point. These make a connection between stock rail and the adjacent closure rail. These then remove reliance on the actual point switch blade making connection onto its stock rail when closed together. These are designed to be really used on DCC (Digital) layouts where the normal self isolating feature of Insulated frog points isn't required. http://www.hornby.com/shop/digital/r8232-hornby-digital-electric-point-clips/
A similar thing can be done by soldering two link wires underneath the point, one wire link on each side, bonding the stock rail to its adjacent closure rail.

If this is carried out on a dc powered layout the unset direction will become live all the time.
However if you wish to improve the reliability on insulated frog points by carrying out either of the above conversions you can then add Insulated rail joiners onto the points Vee rail ends and then install new dc rail feeds after the IRJs These new feeds coming via a simple On/Off switches, so as the rail beyond the IRJ can then be isolated by operating the switch as required!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

Flashbang wrote:Hi
On Insulated frog points you can add two Hornby digital clips (8232) per point. These make a connection between stock rail and the adjacent closure rail. These then remove reliance on the actual point switch blade making connection onto its stock rail when closed together. These are designed to be really used on DCC (Digital) layouts where the normal self isolating feature of Insulated frog points isn't required. http://www.hornby.com/shop/digital/r8232-hornby-digital-electric-point-clips/
A similar thing can be done by soldering two link wires underneath the point, one wire link on each side, bonding the stock rail to its adjacent closure rail.

If this is carried out on a dc powered layout the unset direction will become live all the time.
However if you wish to improve the reliability on insulated frog points by carrying out either of the above conversions you can then add Insulated rail joiners onto the points Vee rail ends and then install new dc rail feeds after the IRJs These new feeds coming via a simple On/Off switches, so as the rail beyond the IRJ can then be isolated by operating the switch as required!

The soldered wire as described by Flashbang is what I have used throughout my layout and I can vouch for its effectiveness.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for the info. Will give the Hornby clips a go to begin with.
Ta
clive f
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone got any ideas what to use for the old hornby points, as the whole thing moves, rather than just the lower half as with odern ones
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:Anyone got any ideas what to use for the old hornby points, as the whole thing moves, rather than just the lower half as with odern ones

Go with the wire bridging between the two rails as described above, it will work just the same for old Hornby points.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Ok thanks
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”