are we killing model railways future ourselves ??

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
tornado64

are we killing model railways future ourselves ??

Postby tornado64 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

a thaught occured this morning i baught an old basic hornby 37 chassis , body to arrive later for some bogies i already had and it is a relatively straightforward , cheap and simple job ( as it was when i was younger ) to get a loco up and running

leap forward to todays loco's et al yes we know you can start cheap but in reality wich child ever realy wanted that so onto the 300 quid lights sound etc loco that is so complex and fragile that in reality it has been taken out of a childs grasp to set up the layout he realy wants unless of course one of two vital factors are present rich parents that just throw money at something or a parent that is very intrested and knowledgable themselves

whilst yes it is great having these uber complex models then having a railroad range like i say wich kid is going to be happy with a railroad 08 when they've seen the 08 with sound etc yet the sound one is well out of range of savings

couple to this my memmories of going to my local hornby stockist and being able to buy loco and scalextric spares ( fancy that ) a far off dream with todays products how many parents will replace a 200 quid loco because it is too fragile for kids to be using you want to be selling more afterwards

the point is that it is now being aimed towards the adult market wich is good for us but with fewer and fewer starting at the bottom there will be less of a market in the future to offer us such things as the present aimed at age group is a dying out species and sadly i'm one that is heading that way

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: are we killing model railways future ourselves ??

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:30 am

That's quite a good point. but then most kids want instant gratification these days without having to work for it.

Just look at the RC car world, most of the big brands (Kyosho, Tamiya, Traxxas etc) now offer RTR cars of a reasonable quality. Something that they didnt do so much 10 years ago
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am

so true i guess if you are a certain age like myself you were taught to repair things rather than throw away i gues a lot today would be stumped with even simple mechanics

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Far from killing it, model railways are just evolving to suit a different - principally adult - customer base. Modelling of all sorts is in decline among the young, but still retains its appeal; consider that model boats and soldiers are further past their peaks of interest, but both still actively supported by manufacturers, orienting the product to adults.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

I think it maybe more to do with the advancement of technology
as everything is nearly computerised.
Gone are the days of making a gun from the wooden dolly pegs like
you used to or mobile phones from string and tin cans.
Then again maybe it will all come round again much like fashion to see the face
on the grandchildren when you say I used to wear them yeas ago.
John

markh

Postby markh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm

i think model railways to day which are being pointed to the older generation (alought im 19 :shock: )& many of todays young uns are becoming intrested in ps3 & xboxs playing call of duty & fifa 13, or busy on there iphones now see model railways as somthing of an old mans hobby, But yet some of them have a ticking train bomb planted in the back of there minds. I have seen many model railway enthusiate being a returni to the hobby so maybe if some todays children are bought a trainset & get a few yaers out of it then maybe once there older they find there old trainset or buy a model railway magazine then that bomb planted in the back of there mind goes off & there intrested in model railways. altought wind the clock back years agor to the days of triang you could by alsorts of fun gizmos to add fun to the layouty rocket launches, exploding box cars, coal tippers. so realy if we bring back the play effect to get kids intrested then i think we should

mark

sorry if i get anjoying
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 pm

madmack wrote:i think model railways to day which are being pointed to the older generation (alought im 19 :shock: )& many of todays young uns are becoming intrested in ps3 & xboxs playing call of duty & fifa 13

Thirty years ago everyone was playing Manic Miner on their Spectrums & Commodore 64s and foretelling the death of model railways, Scalextric and whatnot.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I think that model railways is more for the adult,children are not into playing with toys anymore they just want computer games etc.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 pm

SirMeliot wrote:Thirty years ago everyone was playing Manic Miner on their Spectrums & Commodore 64s and foretelling the death of model railways, Scalextric and whatnot.

Yep, I remember that model railways, scalectrix and plastic model kits will all be finished.... Well there were 17 million commodore 64s made, I bought one for my birthday 1983, were are they all now. Did anyone finish 'Neptunes Daughter' or 'Banana Drama' on the 64? just thought I'd ask. Never managed to finish either of them myself.

Even to this day more Commodore 64s were made than any other computer. Not a lot of people know that. :)
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

krusty

Postby krusty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Modelling is a hobby that generally speaking is passed on to the next generation. My Uncle bought me my 1st model kit, an Airfix Red arrows Hawk, and helped me build it on the kitchen table. Then when I was a little older I would buy kits and my Dad would help me with them. From the age of about 9 or 10 I could then sit and build basic models with no assistance.
This encouragement from family members is, I think, the key to the continued success of our hobby and other similar disciplines.
So to round things out, we all have the responsibility to promote our interest and demonstrate to others what a great pastime modelling is.
So make a start and buy a younger family member a model kit and a tube of glue this Christmas.

Krusty

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 pm

It too has been a concern of mine, if model railways go what am I going to do when I retire (that's still 40 years away!) :lol: There is no doubt that computers have bought the downfall of many things, but kids today are a lot different to when I was a kid and that was only 20 years ago. The only toy that is popular today as it was when I was a kid is Lego, and even that was on the decline up to 1999 when it bought out it star wars range. But that's got to be a positive sign after all what's so different about making your own lego city to making a model village with a railway? :lol:

Times have changed I don't think blue peter go anywhere near sticky back plastic anymore. But fads with kids come round again all the time, furbie is back this year, tamagochi's a few years back, transformers just to name a few, even the turtles have returned. Maybe with all these kids programs now made on a computer they'll get bored of seeing pixels every waking second and start to want to do creative things.

I think one problem is price, toys r us currently sell the flying scotsman train set for £140! Far too high a price for a present. I don't think kids are bothered about detail differences, when I was a lad, i'd have sorts of locos pulling all the wrong sorts of rolling stock. The other problem is probably our unimaginative rolling stock on today's railways, EMU's are nice but they are no class 47 spewing clag as it hauls a cross country service out of the station. But I could be wrong where I used to live you'd always see young lads on the farm bridge at Cholsey filming the trains go by.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

I think there's a lot of truth in the OP. How many packages say "not a toy - over 14's only" or similar? I have two normal (?) kids, a boy of 4 and a girl of 6, who are actually bored with Nintendo DS, Wii etc, and like making up their own games, and like watching me modelling. But there is - naturally - a desire to pick up locos and coaches and things and play with them.

They've got a loop of Hornby track with a siding or two (on the floor) Thomas and Toby, and about eight bits of rolling stock... I'm sort of hoping they'll just get interested. But there's really not a lot targeted at young children, and by the time they might want to get involved, they will have developed other interests for themselves.

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 pm

TK421 wrote:when I was a lad, i'd have sorts of locos pulling all the wrong sorts of rolling stock.

I'm quite happy to testify that there is no special obligation to grow out of that!

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Steve Hill wrote:
TK421 wrote:when I was a lad, i'd have sorts of locos pulling all the wrong sorts of rolling stock.

I'm quite happy to testify that there is no special obligation to grow out of that!

I try telling myself that, but I'm just too fussy these days :lol:
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:19 pm

No I can't see it happening... Model Railways have always had "entry level" models (Playcraft in my day) and more "scale" models (H-Dublo) and a lot in between... Now is no different from what I've seen of RTR, it's just that with modern technology even the entry level stuff is probably better in quality than the H-Dublo stuff of my younger days! Cost wise, having taken into account inflation I doubt there is much difference, I know the Dublo stuff was well out of my price range in the old days, all that's happening is that modern technology is giving us cheaper but better quality models!

I hope we're not going to get into another of those discussions where the doom mongers predict the imminent demise of the hobby, as I can see no signs of that at all...

(Cue the "half empty" mob...) :mrgreen:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”