railway art thread

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Terrier

Re: railway art thread

Postby Terrier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Bit more today, some colour at last! :)

Chris P

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:11 pm

I admire anyone who can draw trains of any description and the pictures on this thread look great - can I ask a (possibly stupid) question? How do you get the wheels to look right? I realise that you could use a compass if the train/loco is viewed side on, but obviously that won't work if there is any angle or perspective involved.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Wheels, especially the spokes and rods are a bit of a nightmare to place, i do however have a special weapon in my arsenal, and it's an absolute winner for wheel arrangements and spokes and also getting a loco 'just right' ..and it's tracing paper :D

I'm a fairly decent draftsman for most things, but wheels... i fall back on tracing paper and reversing this to create a guide, often not a very clear guide, so it's not all plain sailing, but that's what i do... and the other secret weapon in an artist's arsenal for dealing with wheels on steam locomotives.. is 'smoke and steam' ...saves a bunch of headaches does a nice whoosh of steam. 8)

Chris P

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm

Terrier wrote:Wheels, especially the spokes and rods are a bit of a nightmare to place, i do however have a special weapon in my arsenal, and it's an absolute winner for wheel arrangements and spokes and also getting a loco 'just right' ..and it's tracing paper :D

Well it looks like your secret weapon is working - that picture of the G6 looks like it's coming along nicely. Thanks for revealing your secrets!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:10 pm

No probs, there is a certain amount of talent involved, but why make life harder i always say. :D

Chris P

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:03 pm

I use many techniques but seldom tracing paper I use , the grid method , free hand , and more recently for working from photos a digital projector ( no different to Leonardo davinci using the camera obscura !! )

the most important part is regular practice

a small section from a larger oil painting all drawn freehand

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

had some downtime at work a couple of days ago so decided to have some sketching practice , done on cheap printer paper and a cheap hb pencil but filled in a couple of hours

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Fantastic artwork as usual - I really like the way you've implied the shininess of the loco.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”