Newbie question about diesel locos hauling coaches

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Richey1977

Newbie question about diesel locos hauling coaches

Postby Richey1977 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 pm

I wonder if anyone could help me put together a plausible train configuration. It doesn't have to be strictly accurate, as cost and space (as ever) are constrained, as is the range of models actually avalaible….

I'm building a small-ish layout, and whilst I'm not going to nail it down to any specific era, I am having Network SouthEast branding at the station, and I've got some NSE stock in the form of 33035 'Spitfire' and a handful of Mk 2 coaches. I'll be mixing this up with anything else that takes my fancy though, because I don't like the thought of admiring a model, and feeling inhibited by it not being 'prototypical' on my layout. I'll certainly be adding some BR blue to the scene, and may well play the 'heritage line' card if I see anything older that suits me. Having said that, I also really like the EWS models avaliable, so there'll be some time travelling done.

My question is this: In the days of diesel locos hauling coaches on shorter routes (I guess the majority of this work would have been done by multiple unit, but bear with me…), would there always have been a driving cab at the rear? If so, then I'd like to source one, or convert an appropriate coach to a DBSO. If there were examples in the last 30 years or so where it didn't happen, then I'm a bit more relaxed about it.

My current layout plans give me the option of having either a terminus or a through station. Would this affect what I should do with the back end of the train?

Thanks again.

Bigmet

Re: Newbie question about diesel locos hauling coaches

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Real trains have a loco on the front end, and the loco goes the other end for the other direction. So your 33 pulls its train to a destination, and then 'runs round' to pull it back the other way. Nice interesting loco movements to keep the layout operator happy. All this new-fangled nonsense with driving trailers is a modern fad, it won't catch on...

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 pm

DBSOs were a rarity, just Glasgow-Edinburgh and then one of the Anglia routes I think, with DVTs starting to appear on East and West coast mianlines.

Unless you want to copy a specific train formation, the general 'rules' if you like are that it must have a brake coach for the guard, and some First Class if your particular route still had it. The rules on number of brake coaches varied a bit in earlier years but I think you'll be safe with just one somewhere in the consist for NSE days.

A typical Transpennine formation in the eighties was:

Loco (45, 46 or 47)
Mk 2 open first (FO)
5 Mk2 open seconds (SO)
Mk1 full brake (BG).

A typical 'scratch set' to replace a failed Yorkshire DMU around the same time might be:

Loco (scruffy Tinsley 31 or 47)
2 or 3 Mk 1 open seconds (SO)
Mk 1 brake second or brake second open (BSK or BSO).

No first class on local services in South or West Yorks by then. I know that's not NSE but it's what I remember and the principles were the same !
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Richey1977

Postby Richey1977 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Ah yes... I saw some go around loops in place at a terminus station the other day, so it should have been obvious.

Forgive me - I'm new to this. I'm also aware that I've asked more daft questions than I've posted pictures, so I'll rectify that as soon as.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 am

There were often dmu failures that would either see a loco haul the unit or the entire train being replaced with a loco and a few coaches (normally mk 1 or early mk2). However some regular trains were short loco hauled rakes eg brum-norwich, class 31/4 and 5 or 6 coaches.

Dont forget in the south you had push pull first With class 33/1 and 4tc sets.

Hth

Jim

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Where is space permitting, I would prefer trains with run-rounds where the locomotive changes end. However on my "Dreamliner" train. I use a Class 60 with a rake of 9 MkIII's and a DVT. The main reason why I have used a DVT with my Tug is because I have detailed the bufferbeam at one end thus making it impossible to run the locomotive round. In model form, its nice to let your hair down and run what you like in any form you like. As the saying goes "A little bit of what you fancy, does you good!" ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

fatmac

Postby fatmac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:50 pm

There used to be a service in Wales that ran a Cl 37 & 3 mk1/11 coaches, it pulled them one way & then propelled them back. (In the 70's, I think.)

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 pm

I remember running through Woking Blue 50's as the hourly express, (37's were only ever on works trains and very rare), I believe they were mk 2's. I don't remember them being large logo's, which if I was modeling would accidently be modified to include the large logo's.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:30 am

Richey - there is a superb Yahoo Group "BR loco-hauled coaching stock 1948-97" run by a chap called Robert Carroll, this has details of train formations and all sorts of loco hauled passenger carraige stuff, would strongly recommend joining and looking through the files.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”