Idiots guide to posting photos

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clivef5915

Idiots guide to posting photos

Postby clivef5915 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:18 am

Hi all,
I have really searched the forum but failed to find 'The Complete Idiots Guide To Putting Photos On This Forum'. Please could someone point me in the right direction to find the guide, or, construct a step by step guide of how to do it. I have photos of my layout from conception to present day on my computer using Picasa 3. How I then get them onto this forum I have no idea. Please regard me as a techno idiot and you won't go far wrong!
Your help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks
clive f
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Bufferstop

Re: Idiots guide to posting photos

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 am

Are your photo's shared online for anyone to see without signing in to your account, (ie. they have a public URL). If so you include a line which goes [img]the_public_URL_of_the_photo[/img].
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Many thanks for a response Bufferstop, but you've lost me already! My photos are only in Picasa 3 on my computer, not online, and to what 'account' do you refer? See, I'm an absolute Richard Cranium when it comes to all this!
Can you literally guide me step by tortuous step through the whole process, from photos being only on my computer through to someone being able to see them on this forum ? I would be most appreciative and will buy you a drink if we should ever meet !! (that's assuming you are over 18 of course)
Many thanks
clive f

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm

In order for images to be seen on web forums they need to be loaded onto an on-line image hosting site, otherwise they would only be seen when your computer is conected. I tend to use a site called Photobucket at http://www.photobucket.com, but there are others availablesuch a Image Shack at http://www.imageshack.us. The sites are free to use, unless you wish to upgrade to increase the storage capacity. Once you've up-loaded your images you'll find a panel with various image links to allow you to add images to email, set up a direct link to the image hosting site or post to forums (slightly different with Image Shack). You simply copy and paste the link to where you want it. For example, this is how the image link would appear, [IMG http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/ ... titled.jpg[/IMG], though in this case I've removed a square bracket from the first image tag so the picture wont appear. I hope this is of some help, its easier to do than try to explain.
Last edited by GeoFF03 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Clive if you don't have a Picasa account then I'd open one on photobucket. It's easy to upload your pictures and generates the [img] tags for you. If I have an image that I want to upload I load it into Paintshop Pro, but any photo editor will do, Resize it so that it's 800 or less pixels wide, and save it in a folder called Upload. Your computer probably has a folder called download so one called upload seem sensible. The board can't display images wider than 800 pixels, and it gets fooled by some photo sites which resize "on the fly".
With the boards eitor open to compose a post and my files in Upload I log in to photobucket, click the upload button, and select the images. Once uploaded there are a number of options I click straight onto store in album. Once you can see your image in the album and you select it a panel with a number of link options appears. Click the one for [IMG], it will flash "copied" for a moment.
Now I switch windows to the post I'm composing click "Ctrl V" and the IMG line appears.
I repeat that for each image I want in the thread, Then type my text before, between and after the images.
There is a facility to upload an image from your computer to the board but, you can only add 5 to a post, the storage limit runs close to full so it often won't work and it costs the boards sponsor more money the more we store.
Hope this helps.
John W
aka Bufferstop

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am

clivef5915 wrote:See, I'm an absolute Richard Cranium when it comes to all this!

So am I, so I am very appreciative of this thread!

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 am

You can add images directly from your computer.
Click on the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder that holds your image.
Left click on the image that you want to upload and then click on the open button.
The file path should now appear in the Filename box. You can add a comment in the file comment box if you want to.
Click on "Add the file". The file is uploaded from your computer to this website. You could click on "Place inline" instead. This adds the image in a slightly different way.
You can now click on "Preview" to see how the image looks on the screen. You can add further images as required.

Make any amendments and try out the various options as much as you want and keep using the preview option to see what happens.

Once you have written what you want to and you are happy that your image is visible in the preview you can click on "Submit" to complete your posting.
Screen02a.gif
Screen02a.gif (77.81 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse too much!
Attachments
TestImage01.jpg
TestImage01.jpg (4.12 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:11 am

Oh no, now I've broken Photobucket! :shock: Following the good advice in this thread, a few days back I successfully uploaded 5 or 6 photos to photobucket just to make sure I could do it. Logging in this morning to upload some more, all of my 'Library' is blank and when I click on 'Help' nothing happens. All I'm getting are 'grey' screens with nothing responding.
I know its me, (I'm a jinx when it comes to computers and fings) but I don't have a clue of how to rectify it. Has something changed since I was last on photobucket?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Regards
clive f

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm

The new PhotoBucket interface seems to allow you to quit without actually putting the images into the library. Once you got the thumbnails appearing in the middle of the screen they need to be moved to the library. This step used to be automatic, but I think they've allowed you to do things to the image before saving them in your "library" or an Album. I don't think it was you, try again, but make sure you are looking at your library when you finish. It's should be better with subsequent uploads as you will see the files that are already there.

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Photobucket new interface is definately not working, I have tried to access my libraries and got nowhere. There was even a link to take you to the old interface which did not work. :evil:

Richard

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”