More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Several months ago I baulked at buying two of these from my favourite store for GBP20.00 each when the msrp was just GBP4.60 each. I gave in and purchased them. I have been following the only water crane seen since then and it went for silly money. My GBP20.00 each now seems a sensible purchase.

The silly money interest was basically down to three bidders who obviously wanted the item.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HORNBY-SKAL ... true&rt=nc

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 pm

I heard a funny situation once on a preserved railway. One member owned a nice diesel loco. Then he saw a certain part for his loco on eBay. He started bidding and the price went up and up. He finally put the highest bid he was prepared to pay which was way over its value, and he won the bid.
Then a friend of his came to him to say "I saw a part you wanted and I kept bidding for it, but it went up to a silly price so I eventually let the other guy have it".
I was rather amused to hear the conversation progress to find out that they were the only ones bidding for it!

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Mountain wrote:I heard a funny situation once on a preserved railway. One member owned a nice diesel loco. Then he saw a certain part for his loco on eBay. He started bidding and the price went up and up. He finally put the highest bid he was prepared to pay which was way over its value, and he won the bid.
Then a friend of his came to him to say "I saw a part you wanted and I kept bidding for it, but it went up to a silly price so I eventually let the other guy have it".
I was rather amused to hear the conversation progress to find out that they were the only ones bidding for it!

:lol: That tickled me that did!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 am

Its probably not the first time its happened...I bet the seller is happy!

Boxcar Willie

Postby Boxcar Willie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Now this guy is having a laugh - "kit built" indeed!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HORNBY-KIT-BUIL ... xyc2pTcRu4

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Boxcar Willie wrote:Now this guy is having a laugh - "kit built" indeed!

It's our old friend Gostude, expect nothing less :D

He never learns
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 am

I think he understands that there are some right idiots out there. Check out what he's sold.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm

He labels anything "kit built" that has had anything done to it, like details added, repaints, new decals, anything he imagines will justify the price he's asking. Beats me where he finds his customers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 pm

I don't know if its changed as I haven't sold stuff for a while but I remember that certain items of stock can't be described properly using the options they give you...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

I think that's his problem. That and the £ signs in front of his eye's making it a bit difficult to see what the options are.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Would you send someone a cheque in this situation? Have a look at the terms and conditions half way down the page,even though it says you can pay by paypal or credit card.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUPE ... SwMGVadGuo

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

mkrob wrote:Would you send someone a cheque in this situation? Have a look at the terms and conditions half way down the page,even though it says you can pay by paypal or credit card.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SUPE ... SwMGVadGuo

I thought that Paypal payment acceptance was mandatory, don't think you can avoid it.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Boxcar Willie wrote:Now this guy is having a laugh - "kit built" indeed!

I've seen kits described as scratchbuilt which seems quite common on places like YouTube. The issue I think lies in the younger generations not understanding what a kit or scratchbuilt is. I have also seen scratchbuilt in a title where a repaint was done. A nice repaint, but no scratchbuilding had taken place.
Though there are times when scratchbuilding does blur at the edges as to what is or is not scratchbuilding, and the same goes for kit building, especially now we have 3D printing which is hard to describe and could do with its own catagory as could be scratch or kit building... Difficult one! But in general, I know that scratchbuilding or kit building is definitely not repainting a ready made item. It does not mean that skills required in painting are not shared with scratch or kit building, as they are.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Regarding payment, I only accept cheques or postal orders as I know where I am with them. You go to the bank and wait for them to clear, and then you send the goods off. Simple.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:I thought that Paypal payment acceptance was mandatory, don't think you can avoid it.

You're right Jim you can't avoid it, you have to offer Paypal as a payment option.

As for the earlier comments on the 'Gostude ebay sales', his listing descriptions and prices
are always good for a laugh :wink:

Jim.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”