More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:57 am

Well, a well known eBay boxshifter accepted my best offer (5% less than full price) and then slugged me with a postage cost far exceeding any previous costing relative to the weight of the items in the listing. Give with one hand and take back with another. Perhaps they have changed their shipping contractor?

jaym481

Postby jaym481 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Isn't postage shown in the listing? I'm always wary if it isn't.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 pm

jaym481 wrote:Isn't postage shown in the listing? I'm always wary if it isn't.

Postage cost is not shown for shipping outside the EU. I have dealt with the store literally hundreds of times and the postage cost has always been very reasonable. This is one reason I have always returned. Maybe a coincidence that acceptance of a best offer discount (the items were way overpriced) coincided with a high postage cost.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:42 am

I had to laugh!!!! Are they really serious?????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HORNBY-Wagon ... SwJb9Wq2H6

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 am

Curiously enough Amazon UK are looking for £50 for the same wagon, does it have gold plated wheels?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HORNBY-Wagon-R6510-Railfreight-Brake/dp/B004QGORHG

Hattons were looking for £12 but it is out of stock

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

RFS

Postby RFS » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Robert Smith

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:36 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hattons were looking for £12 but it is out of stock
Jim

That sounds like a bit of Scouse logic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Bufferstop wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:Hattons were looking for £12 but it is out of stock
Jim

That sounds like a bit of Scouse logic.

Sounds like --- You can have mine for five quid, but I do not have one. If I did it would be £60. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:39 am

An eBay 'newbie' with a feedback of '1' purchased a locomotive from me and decided to pay by bank transfer. I have awaited a week with no response from him other than he went through checkout indicating he would be paying me the money shortly. I awaited the week and raised an item not paid for dispute and sent him a message asking him his intentions as I wanted my 10% fee refunded if he was not proceeding with the sale.

He responded tonight that he would pay next week. Five minutes later he messaged that he had paid the money. I checked my account but no money was credited so I asked him when he paid. He replied that he paid a week ago on the night of the purchase. Why would he tell me in one message that he would pay next week and then a few minutes later message that he had paid a week ago? All sounds a little fishy to me. Now either he made a mistake with the bank details as I did not receive the money, or he is pulling a con job on me or possibly as a newbie he may think that by going through checkout that eBay will automatically withdraw money from his account and deposit it in my account. Of cause a simple check of his account will show that no transaction took place.

I have added him to my blocked bidders list and hopefully the dispute resolution process will time expire so that I can end the transaction in case he decides to actually pay me over the weekend.

We were all newbies once but no doubt we would have dotted the i's and crossed our t's until we were blessed with an eBay feedback a lot higher than '1'.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:07 am

GWR_fan wrote:I had to laugh!!!! Are they really serious?????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HORNBY-Wagon ... SwJb9Wq2H6

:oops:" woops sorry guv, got the deimal point in the wrong place"! Again?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Glue marks on it and the wheels don't turn, are they mad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Hornby-R22 ... fresh=true

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:47 am

its not worth £79 if it was mint boxed!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:35 pm

This must be "nonsense" for Ebay.
I put a bid in for a Farish N gauge blue era class 37 "37251".
Nobody else put in a bid, I won the loco & it arrived intact.
Tested the engine & it worked fine.
Won for £80+4P&P & it seems to be practically mint.
How weird-a nice Ebay transaction.....

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 am

GWR_fan wrote:An eBay 'newbie' with a feedback of '1' purchased a locomotive from me and decided to pay by bank transfer. ............. All sounds a little fishy to me. Now either he made a mistake with the bank details as I did not receive the money, or he is pulling a con job on me or possibly as a newbie he may think that by going through checkout that eBay will automatically withdraw money from his account and deposit it in my account. Of cause a simple check of his account will show that no transaction took place.......

Thankfully my unpaid dispute case has ended and I have received my refund on the final value fee and shipping fee. Very odd though that despite the buyer on three occasions telling me that he had paid for the listing in rather terse tones, he has not bothered to challenge the closing of the case. I am sure if he had paid then he would be voicing his opinion.

I do not know if the buyer set out to swindle me or he is just a 'dumb' newbie.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 am

GWR_fan wrote:
GWR_fan wrote:An eBay 'newbie' with a feedback of '1' purchased a locomotive from me and decided to pay by bank transfer. ............. All sounds a little fishy to me. Now either he made a mistake with the bank details as I did not receive the money, or he is pulling a con job on me or possibly as a newbie he may think that by going through checkout that eBay will automatically withdraw money from his account and deposit it in my account. Of cause a simple check of his account will show that no transaction took place.......

Thankfully my unpaid dispute case has ended and I have received my refund on the final value fee and shipping fee. Very odd though that despite the buyer on three occasions telling me that he had paid for the listing in rather terse tones, he has not bothered to challenge the closing of the case. I am sure if he had paid then he would be voicing his opinion.

I do not know if the buyer set out to swindle me or he is just a 'dumb' newbie.

This sounds awfully similar to several cases I dealt with; some people think that when you enter a credit card during registration on Ebay that when you buy something later on this is debited for the cost of the item; NOT how it works. Of course the unpaid dispute would then start as no payment had been registered with Ebay/Paypal yet some still didn't "get it" that they had not paid.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”