Annie and Clarabel are not correct coaches for Thomas

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
stevebaby

Annie and Clarabel are not correct coaches for Thomas

Postby stevebaby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 am

This has probably been done to death before, I did not realise until a friend told me that the Hornby Annie and Clarabel coaches are not true to the Thomas the Tank Engine story. He told me to look at the pictures in book 3 Tank Engine Thomas again, and they are shown as 2 bogie coaches. So why has Hornby made them 4 wheel carriages instead? Does anybody know the answer?
Regards
Stephen

HARRYMALLARD

Re: Annie and Clarabel are not correct coaches for Thomas

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:02 am

in the original stories, they were bogie coaches, but on the Tv series,they appeared as 4 wheel coaches
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 am

The choaches where based on the original scratchbuilds by the good rev. as far as I know they are not based on any particular prototype. If you wanted to model a simmilar type dapol produce a kit or r-t-r 57ft stainer coach and brake coach with a coat of a teak coloured brown and yellow lining they wouldn't look too different from the orginals and more realistic than Hornby's offering.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am

Hornby just used their "generic" 4-wheel coach to represent Annie and Clarabel here. They've done that quite a lot; you'll see those 4 wheel coaches in any of dozens of liveries, especially with the starter/childrens' train sets.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 am

Have had them in two types of blue,got a red & a green one,as well as two in brown with yellow lining & "shirtbutton" GWR logo livery.Like flies they get everywhere :lol:

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 am

Hornby obtained their licence to produce TTTE models before Guillaine/HiT started getting fussy about them all looking like the TV series. Hornby therefore just used or adapted what was already tooled up so with zero (almost) tooling costs I suspect that Thomas has been subsidising the main range ever since. Bachmann got their licence sometime later which is why their models have to look more like the TV series.

There are loads of anomalies between the original books and the current ones - Thomas still has his front buffer beam too low, Toby never got his chocolate and blue paint, Donald and Douglas are still black etc etc ...

Neither Hornby nor Bachmann's Clarabel has a Guard's compartment either. It probably doesn't do to look too closely.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm

They aren't quite right but I use LNER clerestory coaches to represent Annie and Clarabel. They're smaller than your typical coach, they have white roofs and flat ends (i.e. without doors) and the colour is close enough for my purposes. I think I might try respraying them or something at some point.

ollieollieollie

Postby ollieollieollie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Tee hee. This did make me chuckle. A fictional, talking engine that drives himself & you chaps are worried about what coaches he pulls! :lol:

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 pm

No he doesn't. In the original stories engines are controlled by drivers. They can't control themselves with any precision. And the notion of an engine being alive, in its own way, is one that has been around for ages.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:41 pm

having read all of the good rev's stories about thomas hundredds of timei can say that they were controlled by the drivers, but they took more of a backset role in driving them and left it to the engines. having said that though, i agree with ollie, i think the market it is aimed at hornby isn't expecting them to complain. :D
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:55 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:having read all of the good rev's stories about thomas hundredds of timei can say that they were controlled by the drivers, but they took more of a backset role in driving them and left it to the engines. having said that though, i agree with ollie, i think the market it is aimed at hornby isn't expecting them to complain. :D

Well said :D

Kevin Sharpe

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

If you listen carefully you can hear the Reverend W V Awdry, spinning like a top...... :lol:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 pm

kevin sharpe wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:having read all of the good rev's stories about thomas hundredds of timei can say that they were controlled by the drivers, but they took more of a backset role in driving them and left it to the engines. having said that though, i agree with ollie, i think the market it is aimed at hornby isn't expecting them to complain. :D

Well said :D

Kevin Sharpe

i think the only complaint about thomas is the new tv series, i liked the old ones when i was little as they were faithful to the stories. i go to shops where there is thomas merchandise and i see characters and i think who the hell are they? no doubt all the drivers are now black so as not to appear racist. i kno for sure that you can't refere to the fat controller as the fat controller anymore which is just stupid. rant over, i really should stop, i'm 13 now :mrgreen:
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

jon_c

Postby jon_c » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Isn't there the time when Thomas decides to go out on his own and drives into a house. Think the story is/was 'Thomas comes to Breakfast'.

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Alarmingly I read that story today. It happens because a careless cleaner fiddles with his controls. Apparently Thomas nudges things into action though.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”