Mixing OO with HO guage in one layout

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mdakl@hotmail.com

Mixing OO with HO guage in one layout

Postby mdakl@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 am

Hi
Has anybody tried mixing American HO Locos with OO Locos in one layout,
I am a collector of OO guage (Hornby, Bachmann & Dapol) but i am always interseted in American HO guage Locos but never though of buying it so far for fear of noticeable difference in size with OO, specially i dont want to make 2 different guage layouts but only a single layout to include both if that is possible,

Regards,

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Mixing OO with HO guage in one layout

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 am

depends how fussy you are....

You can run HO stock on OO but I wouldn't mix them or run them at the same time as the size difference is blindingly obvious. (I have OO and a little German HO)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

It's your layout, do what you want! The HO scale stuff isn't much different in size to the OO scale stuff as the larger locos in real life have been reduced in size by the scale...

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

I have a couple of HO things on my layout (just got a big American steam engine the other day actually) and while there is a noticeable size difference I don't think it's a deal breaker by any means.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 am

Just watch out for any lineside and close fitting overhead structures with the larger US stuff. The smoke deflectors on a steam era footbridge can easily get clipped, also near scale positioned platform faces, especially if there are points or curves in or close to platforms.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am

I have one complete US train (Santa Fe F3A+B unit with six silver california zephyr coaches) which I bought in the US on holiday and putting it side by side with some Bachmann OO Mk1 coaches there is not a lot of difference in size. I am guessing it's because the Americans build their trains bigger because they are not restricted to our loading gauge.

In answer to your question yes you can run OO and HO togethe but as Bigmet says keep an eye on your scenery!.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:16 pm

It depends on how fussy you are. 00 was invented so that HO mechanisms of the day would fit into a British outline model. As such British 00 and European HO models will appear very close in size, but not so much with American models which are often significantly larger in real life. I have a couple of European wagons which don't look too out of place, though if you're familiar with the prototype vehicles things may look a bit odd. You may run into issues when trying to couple 00 and HO models as the couplings will be different, though a lot of modern stuff comes with NEM362 couplers which can be interchanged with the UK equivalent. It's the same in N gauge as two different scales are in use (1:148 and 1:160).
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 pm

just so long as you don't mix people, that does look odd!!!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

mdakl@hotmail.com

Postby mdakl@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:25 am

Metadyneman wrote:I have one complete US train (Santa Fe F3A+B unit with six silver california zephyr coaches) which I bought in the US on holiday and putting it side by side with some Bachmann OO Mk1 coaches there is not a lot of difference in size. I am guessing it's because the Americans build their trains bigger because they are not restricted to our loading gauge.

In answer to your question yes you can run OO and HO togethe but as Bigmet says keep an eye on your scenery!.

Thanks for the information, but as you mentioned that there is not a lot of difference in size, is that means that the American Ho is the larger or the opposite ?

mdakl@hotmail.com

Postby mdakl@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:43 am

Yesterday i recieved my first HO item, it is an Electrotren Car Carrier , i found that it is smaller than my OO Locos & coaches , i think this situation differes with the American Ho as it is larger in reallife,is this information true ? , my question is for those who do have HO Locos and OO items, does the Ho Locos when settled beside the OO Locos & coaches looks larger in size or do they have the same size or look smaller ?

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:11 am

In real life the American locos are considerable bigger but HO scale is 1:87 whereas OO is 1:76 and that brings the size of the stock closer. It depends what stock you are getting, the car carrier, for instance, is very low and so the difference between it and a British version would not be as noticeable as it would if you compared locos... Look at this link which shows a Duchess (our biggest passenger loco) alongside it's Stateside equivalent...

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/British-T ... 81633_.htm

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 am

In general, models of European locos and stock in HO will look undersize alongside UK OO. Lower roof line, small doors, lower buffer height, smaller wheels. Width will often be much the same as they have a foot more width at maximum in their loading gauge: 10' at 3.5mm/ft = 35mm,while the typical 9' maximum width in the UK at 4mm/ft = 36mm.

With models of North American types the much larger loading gauge means that an HO model typically comes out larger than an OO model for both width and height. There are no buffers to compare heights, but the very small wheel size on freight stock in particular is very noticeable.

I give my European and US HO a run out on my OO layout once in a while, just for the pleasure of seeing it run; but don't operate it side by side with OO as such.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”