not enough southern railway info and locos

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: not enough southern railway info and locos

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 pm

b308 wrote:Have you tried Abe books for secondhand or Ian Allan for new? Abe gives 9000 books for a search on "southern railway"!!

ah ha, i like the phrase "second hand"! will have a look at them, as ever i don't want to spend to much, especially as all i want it for is reference.
live-frog wrote:More than half of them are on Southern Railways with good stock lists at the following railways : Bluebell Railway = 13 Southern Locos , Mid Hants = 12 , Swanage = 5 ,Kent & Es.Sussex = 5 + a few others scattered about.
yes, although i am surprised that none have turned up in the south west that i have seen: SVR GWR WSR etc naver seen any southern locos there and would have thought they would have made it that far. but there is plenty of great western obviously, and br, but a few from LNER and LMS as well. either i have been unlucky for the past 10 years of visiting, or they just don't get around as much. why is this then?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

poliss

Postby poliss » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Just found this website on the Southern. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mickssrsource/index.html
He lists lots of books in the erm books section.

6C

Postby 6C » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 am

There is hugely more Southern than before - with a few excellent Limited Editions too.

When I were a lad it was all GW - the only ready-to-run Southern - was Sir Dinadin.

There is a relative dearth on Southern books though, I have to agree.

The section running on ex-LSWR metals does seem better served compared to the other Southern areas too...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 am

There are enough titles, on Southern Railway subjects, from Oakwood Press, and Middleton Press to fill a book case alone. For any specific needs have a word with Kevin Robertson, his knowledge on SR matters, regarding books, is worth it's weight in gold.

Paul Mays - former owner of Motorail Books, Bournemouth.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

thank you everyone for being so helpful, as i said before, i was just surprised how little anything on southern railways had travelled outside that region, not even to the south west. looked at all websites and going to place an order for a couple of books but as ever am short of money at the moment having spent the last on some much needed points for new layout. also really must take a holiday next year n that region and get my own pics as recommended. thanks again
Alex
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:23 am

flying scotsman123 wrote: also really must take a holiday next year n that region and get my own pics as recommended. thanks again
Alex

In that case I can fully recommend Swanage, apart from being one of the most attractive areas, sunniest, driest, and warmest places on the south coast, and of coarse me being biased as at one time I was a volunteer on the railway there :)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm

And look what has just showed up. http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=35&vis=2

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh dear! My layout is only big enough for tank engines.

I might have to think about doing a bigger layout. :wink:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”