The Perverse Pleasure of a Good Thrashing.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tiddles

The Perverse Pleasure of a Good Thrashing.

Postby Tiddles » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:33 pm

This has nothing to do with nipple clamps and feather dusters (I have seen things you would not believe!) :shock:

It is fair to say that the last few weeks have been especially C R A P with little sign of improvement :cry:

Even railway modelling was giving me a head ach. Spending many hours trying to redesign the layout on AnyRail but not achieving the results I wanted :x

I decided to go run some trains but somehow watching a finely detailed precision engineered loco pull a 30 car train at walking pace did not do the trick :(

So I dug out my Triang Flying Scotsman with real chuffing sound and attached a train of equally ancient Pullman coaches and turned the knob up to 11 :lol:
I found myself filled with a childlike delight as the train whizzed around me at a scale speed of 200+mph. The spinning bluer of side rods, manic chuffing and rattling coaches combined with the thump as the train hit the points just seemed to excite the senses. I emerged from the model room a much relaxed and happy man.

The problems will still be there in the morning but this evening they have been suppressed by a good thrashing :D :D :D
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: The Perverse Pleasure of a Good Thrashing.

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Sounds even more perverse if you read it in the voice of stephen fry
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Excellent, some times it is just fun to get back to our childhood !!
All Aboooooard !!

johnco

Postby johnco » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Today I ran my black 5 with 6 blood and custards on my not completed layout at high speedfor about 15 mins, then I replaced the loco with an A4 and ran the train in the opposite direction for about the same amount of time. Not satisfied with this I then replaced the A4 with (wait for it) with a Foster Yeoman class 59. What next you may ask, well the next loco off the shelf was a Peak. After a mad hour of high speed untypical trains I went in for my tea with a smile on my face. Happyness. The tea was good too.
The next running session will be more prototypical and sedate.

faulcon1

Postby faulcon1 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 am

I altered my Hornby sound HST CV settings to the maximum and ran it at speed step 126 with the power car both pushing and pulling and yes it did fill me with a strange delight. Had it derailed it wouldn't have filled me with delight as operating it on a high garden railway would mean a deathly plunge to the ground.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am

johnco wrote:The tea was good too.

Was it beans on toast? :D
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Tue May 01, 2012 8:36 am

It is amazing what a spell in the railroom will do for the inner being, I had been to an old friends funeral yesterday and was not feeling "the May West" :( , but after going up to the loft and running a "semi" a "brit" and 9F for a hour, Life became more bearable.
There is something about a moving steam engine no matter what size or scale, that can bring a feeling of peace, contentment and old boyhood wonder at the magnificent machines that once were so much part of everyday life. Long may the preservation societies continue their good work.
Being in engineering all my life I always look at a steam loco with great respect for the amount of man hours and skills (sadly now lost) of the men that designed and built them.

May they bring us all enjoyment for may years to come.
Tim
aka Forfarian

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 pm

As well as the layout I have the pieces to make up an oval of PECO setrack, a Minitrix Britannia and three Farish Pullman coaches. When things get too much there is nothing better than putting it all together and spending time reliving my childhood (albeit that in those days it was a Tri-ang/Hornby OO trainset I had!).

But reverting back to the title of this topic there was a layout at the Perth show, IIRC, last year which had the usual 'hands off' signs on it but they read - 'Do not touch as a severe thrashing always offends' :D

OK they weren't totally successful as while we were there a small child managed to demolish a set of level crossing gates. Unfortunately we left before we saw if the threat was carried out...

johnco

Postby johnco » Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Afte a good thrashing (see mondays posting) I decided to have a proper sedate running session on Tuesday.
Upon placing the black 5 on the track the screw holding the coupling rod to the centre driver fell off and on to the floor, never to be seen again or attracted to a magnet.
The magnet found a lot of other things, mainly trackpins.
i put the loose screw down to the previos day's thrashing, I'm not very happy so it will be a long time before I run a train again at maglev speeds.

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Sat May 05, 2012 12:12 am

johnco wrote:Afte a good thrashing (see mondays posting) I decided to have a proper sedate running session on Tuesday.
Upon placing the black 5 on the track the screw holding the coupling rod to the centre driver fell off and on to the floor, never to be seen again or attracted to a magnet.
The magnet found a lot of other things, mainly trackpins.
i put the loose screw down to the previos day's thrashing, I'm not very happy so it will be a long time before I run a train again at maglev speeds.

OK there are jokes about 'loose screws' but as this is a family forum...!!!!

But, mug your wife for a pair of her used tights, put them over the end of the vacuum nozzle as a filter and attach with an elastic band. Give the floor a good vacuum and check the 'filter'. It is amazing what you can find...

johnco

Postby johnco » Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks for the hosiery suggestion, I'll try it out soon as the floor in the train shed is getting a bit messy. Normally I don't do hoovering, it might be taken for practice for the real thing in the house.
Can't think of a loose screw joke.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Today was sunny, and living in a courtyard and not having a garden meant i couldn't lay any track in one, but out the front in the courtyard bit there was a space big enough for me to lay a third radius oval and give my hornby d tank 0-4-0 no. 1203 in its light blue livery with light blue coaches (that came as a christmas present years ago in the 100 quid deal in argos) a thrashing. Anyways, never did i think for once back then that in future i would be living where i am running this little train on a sunny may afternoon/evening in the republic. It sort of gave me time to reflect and betterd me from the bad mood residing from the day before's trip down to social welfare office which i left feeling rather depressed. I then decided to run my BR blue b12 and its coaches from the anglian set and listened to it chuffing its way through the irish air. Then I gave it a good thrashing before packing it all up and having dinner.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Sun May 06, 2012 11:12 am

Nut screws washers and bolts!
newspaper headline, interperet as you see fit
Tim
aka Forfarian

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Sun May 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Forfarian wrote:Nut screws washers and bolts!
newspaper headline, interperet as you see fit

Depends on the punctuation??? (as per Eats shoots, and leaves!)

Big respect to commas are maybe required?

Lynne Truss, where are you when we need you???

johnco

Postby johnco » Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 am

Oh yes, I remember that joke now from my schooldays back in the1950's.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”