Cliches of Layouts or Model Railways that you dislike.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Cliches of Layouts or Model Railways that you dislike.

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:52 pm

trainsandco wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
AndrewG wrote:I also dislike over-weathered stock.

me too, when i went to warley last year there was the company "grimy times" and what they actually did, for a fee of i don't know how much, coated your brand new sparkling loco in dirt :x :x :x

Which is how a lot of locomotives ran...

i know, but this is model railways, so you are actually allowed to allow people to recognise what colour it is :x
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:54 pm

also, another gripe at reality, locos that creep about pulling one truck at a time. i dont care if they did or not, it looks silly :x
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

johnco

Postby johnco » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:49 pm

My biggest gripe is OO modellers who complain that an item of stock is a mm to long or short when they have accepted that they are using trackwork that is seriously out of scale.
I accept it that P4 modellers can legitimately complain about incorrect dimensions.

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:37 pm

johnco wrote:My biggest gripe is OO modellers who complain that an item of stock is a mm to long or short when they have accepted that they are using trackwork that is seriously out of scale.
I accept it that P4 modellers can legitimately complain about incorrect dimensions.

Railway modelling is only a representation, not a perfect art, even P4 doesn't have a working fireman shovelling coal on the footplate of a steam loco. I agree about 'nit-pickers', and about a millimetre in length, who can tell when looking at a working layout at an exhibition from 4 feet away ?? Some of us don't have all the time in the world, let the suckers worry about every fine detail - and not get round to running anything.And 'flying scotman 123', along with others with petty gripes - get a life.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

I share the view of the last couple of poster that some modellers spend far too long criticising perfectly good models because they are not absolutely perfect. I started modelling again in the 1980s, when standards were considerably poorer than today, but consider this, apart from a few rivit counters, most people were extatic about the introduction of Lima (yes Lima) models. After decades of a limited Hornby model range we suddenly had a massively increased range of models. If you weren't totally happy with the standard, Monty Wells ran a series of articles in the Railway Modeller with suggested improvements that were within the skill set of most average modellers. In the words of Harald McMillan - "you have never had it so good".

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I would say that not only have we never had it so good, manufacturers now have the ability to supply models to a standard beyond what is needed for an operating model railway. Some of the currently produced details can only be really appreciated either by picking up the model (preferably in cotton gloves) and examining it at close quarters, or taking photographs of it using a close up lens. I really think the manufacturers should be sticking to good mechanical specification and dimensional accurate bodies, either leaving the super detailing to the after sales market, or offering the choice of the detail kit for DIY or factory applied for those for whom money is no problem. Several people have recently mentioned their great reluctance to take a hacksaw to a wonderfully finished model to produce something that they want. Now what was this thread about?
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Yep, i'd go with the Harold Macmillan thing. rtr when i was a lad, and i'm only 36! (next year i can do the peasants scene from The Holy Grail! :lol: :lol: ) was kind of basic compared to what you can pick up now from a variety of manufacturers, especially with ready to plonk down buildings, i don't do these myself, as i prefer to make things (or eventually get round to making lol) but the stuff available now, in comparison to a couple of decades ago, is well, likes been said already, pretty damned good quality.

Chris P

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am

trainsandco wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
AndrewG wrote:I also dislike over-weathered stock.

me too, when i went to warley last year there was the company "grimy times" and what they actually did, for a fee of i don't know how much, coated your brand new sparkling loco in dirt :x :x :x

Which is how a lot of locomotives ran...

Oh, that poor Britannia... :cry:
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:05 pm

ngresley wrote:

Oh, that poor Britannia... :cry:[/quote]

poor britannia? its helping that failed diesel clearly ;) don't you remember the story of 'Super-Rescue'?

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:54 pm

:D Hi all
Just been reading through this.and seem to think that some of have forgotten that we all started with a train set often a hornby one but some may have had other makes.So lets keep a sense of humour and keep doing our best.We were all juniors once in this great hobby so lets do the best we can and try to improve the mark 2/3/4/etc

Kevin Sharpe

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:36 pm

kevin sharpe wrote::D Hi all
Just been reading through this.and seem to think that some of have forgotten that we all started with a train set often a hornby one but some may have had other makes.So lets keep a sense of humour and keep doing our best.We were all juniors once in this great hobby so lets do the best we can and try to improve the mark 2/3/4/etc

Kevin Sharpe

Well said young sir.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 pm

They are all glorified Train Sets ..... even P4 (particularly P4 steam)
You couldn't get a P4 layout to run trains with a station as the required platform length would be too long and any curves would take the complete hall.
Any locomotive powered by electricty from the wheels (particularly steam) is just a toy train as in fact they all are.

If you want a nice train set build it the way you want and if somebody dosen't like it that's their problem - Not yours.

Back to my garage to play trains mixing GWR steam with 06 diesel shunters that were confined to Scotland and anything else I fancy doing !!!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Dad-1 wrote:
Back to my garage to play trains mixing GWR steam with 06 diesel shunters that were confined to Scotland and anything else I fancy doing !!!

Geoff T.

Such frivolous behaviour from a mod :D
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 pm

D2420 did get a gig at Reading!!!
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Dad-1 wrote:They are all glorified Train Sets ..... even P4 (particularly P4 steam)
You couldn't get a P4 layout to run trains with a station as the required platform length would be too long and any curves would take the complete hall.
Any locomotive powered by electricty from the wheels (particularly steam) is just a toy train as in fact they all are.

If you want a nice train set build it the way you want and if somebody dosen't like it that's their problem - Not yours.

Geoff T.

I think calling them model railways may give some that sense of it "being okay to play with trains at "your" age" much like many of the toy soldier collectors who have to call them miniature models, miniature figurines etc... They are TOY SOLDIERS !! When I am off down the basement, I always say I am off downstairs to play with my trains/soldiers. :) Could careless what others think.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”