Cliches of Layouts or Model Railways that you dislike.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Terrier

Re: Cliches of Layouts or Model Railways that you dislike.

Postby Terrier » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 am

My thoughts are this: Cliches exist in any field of creativity, from street poetry to warhammer and always will, it is interesting that this thread has asked people to share about cliches they 'dislike' as opposed to cliches that people may 'like', which i find is indicative of an inability to find the positives in other individuals creative trevails. And i say this in response.

"LIVE LONG & MODEL!!" :D

Chris P

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:25 am

To be honest, I must say that it's this kind of attitude I dislike. I trust that all the people who made comments about their dislikes have perfect layouts themselves?
Carpe Diem!

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 pm

rosenblad wrote:To be honest, I must say that it's this kind of attitude I dislike. I trust that all the people who made comments about their dislikes have perfect layouts themselves?

No I don't think anyone does, however I think all of us have things we dislike that we try to avoid on our layouts. I intensly dislike card buildings, even in N gauge I think texture is important and it lends itself to the techniques I use. However one of my favourite all time layouts is N Gauge and is made almost exclusively with card, one of the reasons I like it so much is that I could not tell.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

champion

Postby champion » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Ok i have to admit dislikes in the model railway world but are aimed at the product released and no research in the loco.
One example is dapols release of hymek D7005 in blue to name a few.D7005 nether carried blue and was one of many scapped in green.This means who ever has brought one either a total repaint or a re number job and is not easy in n gauge.One other to mention is farish in todays world releasing a well outdated version of another western as D1015 wene the cl 20 and 55 are getting a revamp.
Having said this dapol now listen to comments and in the model side of things we run what we like and i injoy seeing others work.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Life's full of cliché! You could put a whole row of Metcalfe semis on any layout, they'd be a cliché but so are the originals. 1920's semi-detached council houses! You'll find whole estates of them all over the country and just about indistinguishable from each other, always get lost on those estates 'cos every junction looks the same. Don't know if you've noticed but Aldi appear to have just one set of plans for a new build shop. "Also in white" scraped in the dirt on the back of a white van, now there's a cliché I haven't seen modelled. How about it Jim S-W?
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:39 pm

rosenblad wrote:To be honest, I must say that it's this kind of attitude I dislike. I trust that all the people who made comments about their dislikes have perfect layouts themselves?

I'm with you there chap, negativity is my main dislike.So if something turns up on more than one layout then it's a cliche right ??; it's not easy being original, - and good.

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:35 pm

You could put a whole row of Metcalfe semis on any layout, they'd be a cliché but so are the originals

Fine, but when your onto your thid layout in an exhibition with entire estates made out of Metcalfe houses its hard to get excited and those layouts just do not stand out (made worse by them almost always having a factory and brewery on them!).

I'm with you there chap, negativity is my main dislike.So if something turns up on more than one layout then it's a cliche right ??; it's not easy being original, - and good.

Come on guys, you need some balance. How awful would an exhibition be if people did not try to model something new ?? I don't think people are being negative here, its reasonable to find things that you dislike and I think its reasonable to discuss them. Nitpicking individual layouts is out of order but people discussing what they are bored of is surely helpful to anyone planning an exhibition layout.

I am sure some people would be bored of seeing the Ratio kits on my layout, I really like them though (I find the kits really enjoyable and often challenging to build) but apart from these 5 kits everything else is (currently) scratch built (to wildly varying standards!). As questionable as some of my structures are I put more time and effort into them than I would have done carelessly throwing out pre-cut, pre-coloured card.

Negativity is a bad thing but constructive criticism is fine, I think that avoiding cliches is a good way of avoiding an unsuccesful layout.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Jill the stationcat

Postby Jill the stationcat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:51 pm

InFullSteam wrote:Are there any that anyone wants to name?

I'm thinking Perth show last year, a certain German layout evidently totally based on a childish fascination with the release of gas from the neither regions!

No train 'movements' (sorry for the bowel reference!) but the Faller road vehicles were buzzing about like Bluebottles!

The operators (railway modellers???) didn't seem to like the comments they were getting from the spectators as regards the lack of trains but as they apparently represent the Scottish Flower perhaps they felt they could be 'prickly' as to their responses!!!???

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 pm

my biggest pet hate is the delapidated building or new build part constructed which has a slate roof with the exposed ends of tile courses showing but the overlaps are not correct and if it was a real roof it would leek like a sieve. the fault is that the bottom of one course only goes down to partly cover one course below it. on a real roof each slate covers 3/5 ths of the top of the slate below it and 1/5 of the slate the course below that. this error also crops up in highly detailed constructions that get appear in model rail journal!.if the roof has modern concrete pan tiles then they overlap sideways too effectively making one long slate so they don't need to cover the course 2 below at all to get a water proof roof.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Cliché its just plain kitsch.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 pm

not so common now i guess but steam era lovely countryside chocolate box lay-outs. Prefer a bit of scutt meself but each to their own. I'm not a perfectionist (well not technically capable of it at least) so being tuned off by what track they're using is a bit over my head all told

AndrewG

Postby AndrewG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am

'Urban grot' has been done to death. I also dislike over-weathered stock.
Steaming through Devon...

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 am

My comments on metcalfe were merely trying to say that although i like metcalfe buildings (they are good, i have some), i get bored of exhibition layouts that just plonk the brewery down and go 'theres a factory', with no attempt at modification, or justifying what it is or how it looks. however, on a home layout or kids exhibition layout i can perfectly understand leaving them as they are when the builder has finished the instructions :)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

blooregard wrote:As questionable as some of my structures are I put more time and effort into them than I would have done carelessly throwing out pre-cut, pre-coloured card.

Try doing some Scalescenes models before you write off card - much more flexible and sophistiscated (and a lot more work) than Metcalfe or Superquick.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:41 pm

AndrewG wrote:I also dislike over-weathered stock.

me too, when i went to warley last year there was the company "grimy times" and what they actually did, for a fee of i don't know how much, coated your brand new sparkling loco in dirt :x :x :x
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”