My Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bocaj

My Layout

Postby bocaj » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that I have not created a thread telling you what my layout will look like.

My layout mesures 8ft by 4ft 6inch and it is locted in my bedroom in the loft.
I am not mesuring any pacticular era or period but I am trying to keep to steam locomotives.
It has a double oval with a tunnel which will cover a dark corrner of my layout. It will also include a large locomotive and goods yard and an of scene area with a turnatable and sidings for my Class 08 shunter, my M7 and Smokey Joe.
It will have a large station which I will build out of a number of Metcalf kits and maybe a row of houses also built by Metcalf.
On the top of the tunnel their will be a small wood and a Farm which may be abandond but I am not sure about that yet.

The Layout will be able support 6 coach trains which are on test on the layout right now.
It will be controlled in a 50:50 mix of DC and DCC so I do not need to worry about decoders emeidatly after buying the locomotives.
It will have a controll desk which will be part of the behind the scenes area.

When I come round to wiring the layout up, which should not be too long as I have just finished laying the track I will fit DCC operated points so I don't have to streach into the layout to change points. The point decoders will be either placed attatched up side down underneath the board or in the controller area.
The point moters will be placed underneeth the board to avoid having to buy point moter houses.

I will keep you updated as the layout progresses,

Jacob :D

joshing_man

Re: My Layout

Postby joshing_man » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:38 am

If this is to be your layout thread I will move it to the correct section (Personal Layouts - Planning or Under Construction). If it is just a Public Awareness Announcement then I'll leave it be! :lol:

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 am

Hi Andrew,
Please, move it to the Persnel Layouts section

rovermaestro

Postby rovermaestro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Jacob I noticed your thread and enjoyed reading the description of your layout which sounds very promising. Its a really good size with good sized trains. You have obviously thought ahead quite a bit. I am looking forward to a picture or two in due course. Good luck with your plans.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:59 pm

sounding good what scale is going to be? I assume OO with the mention of the famous smokey joe. Must also say I'm jealous with the space you've got to use in your bedroom I'm struggling for space and I have a whole house to use :lol: at least with 4 and half foot you don't have to use tight curves.

But most important question do you have a name for it yet?

I look forward to seeing the progress
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:13 am

Hi,
Thanks for your coments,
Yes, it is OO Scale, I think that OO is the most realistick model railway you can have but I also do like the smaller gauges.
I am also glad to have room for it, my bedroom is very big though as it is in the loft. When we had just finished getting the board up I thought it was huge! And I still do!
Not sure what the name for it will be 'Allerton Junction' as I am thinking that I am going to be bacing it on a imaginary preserved railway which will be based on what was once a Real Railway line before Allerton Bywater Pit Closed sometime in the 1990's. The Railway runs from Allerton Bywater to Garforth.
I'll get you some URL's to the pictures of my Layout now.
This first picture is taken from the corner of the board. It shows the large goods yard and the of Scene area which is not yet actually of scene. http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5103/018eef.jpg
This imige was tacken from the controll area. It shows the Leval crossing and the goods yard. Their is a great veiw of the Flying Scotsman and Evening Star.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1775/019zw.jpg

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
Time for an update I think. I'm just going to be using this thread for updates now, its a bit easyer than creating a new Thread for each update. The Layout has come along way scince I started this thread. I have bought alot of Metcalfe kits, which are still being built! We are currently working on the stations. A whole new branch line has been built for acsess to the new sidings which are to be built on the new board extension, these sidings are to be built for locos only as the goods yard in the Middle is going to be converted for Freight and Rolling Stock only.
Their is also a small goods and loco yard down the back of where the tunnel is going to be, it is only big enough for one big locos and maybe two 0-6-0s. It will be hidden behind the tunnel. The Turntable sidings have also been extend to six sidings, three of them are big enough for a large loco.
I have managed to sort a bit of tempory wiring out under the board as it was all getting a bit of a mess! :roll: :lol:

Their will probably be photos soon!

As usualy any questions about the layout can be asked!

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Oh yes, The name for the layout is going to be 'The Alerton Bywater and Meathly Preserved line' as those are the two villages which it is mainly in!
Last edited by bocaj on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Everyone,
I forgot to add, the board is going to be exstended soon, just a small bit coming of the Baseboard. I can't rember what the size is but I'll check soon. It will be acsessed from the Postal branch and will have a loco storage yard on it.

Last edited by bocaj on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKPjj_koFY

Another quick update in that vidieo, I though I would let you see my layout!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Just had a look at the video and I like the way you've got it all laid out. This should look really nice when you've gone some scenics in place. I'm pleased to see you're planning to extend the board a bit as that goods siding is precariously close to the edge right over the stairs :shock: That would certainly be a long drop for any freight wagons that took a wobble!

Are you posting some photos on the forum at some point too?

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the nice comment and watching the video. I thought the same thing about the sidings when I built them, but don't worry I have found a sloution! :D
When the board get's extended, the siding will be half on the main board, and half on the extension. Before the extension is put into place no loco or wagons will be put into the sidings, for saftey reasons!
Unofotunatly, I have being having problams uploading photographs to the forums, but I will have another try soon.

Thanks for your reply,

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have been doing a bit of planning into the roads and where everything is going to go. Other than that, I'm now not that sure that their is going to be a canal anymore, but I have not made a desision on that yet. The Reason I'm not sure is it may not be than visable amoung all the trees and things, but I may just make the forrest a bit smaller. So, other than that, nothing had been happening.

As Usual, any questions about the layout can be asked!

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I remember watching the video and thought I had commented on it :oops:

Nice layout Jacob I particularly like the station, you have made a nice job of it. (also like the scarf on your wardrobe :D On & On)
All Aboooooard !!

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi thebritfarmer,
Thanks for watching the video and commenting about the station. It's not compleated yet but It will hopefully be finished soon, it's only the platforms to build so it will hopefully be finished soon.

Ps, I take it you like Leeds United too! :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”