Re: BARGAINS!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:05 pm

RFS wrote:
mjb1961 wrote:Absolute bargain ,4 lengths of peco flexi ,brand new never used ,,bargain at £125.99 ,if you are interested then search ,,goldfishinovations,,on eBay :roll:

Being as the listing shows 124 sold, I assume the seller is out of stock and hence set the price this high to deter buyers till he has more stock.

If he has run out of stock then why is he still advertising? :roll:Besides I only posted it as a laugh,I mean what sort of moron would actually pay that amount ,

Got me intrigued now RFS ,I've just search him and he has 'more than 10' as available,,I reckon he's trying it on ,hasn't the peco factory been closed because of the covid 19 and I'm sure it's created a shortage of track and it's pushed up the prices.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Just hang on, Peco is back in action and the first catch up shipments have gone out.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Just hang on, Peco is back in action and the first catch up shipments have gone out.

People profiteering from a pandemic,,,

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 pm

mjb1961 wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Just hang on, Peco is back in action and the first catch up shipments have gone out.

Not at all.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:11 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
mjb1961 wrote:

Not at all.

Correct, profiteering can only be applied to excessive prices demanded for items essential to sustaining life. Otherwise it is a case of supply and demand, I would really like a Hornby Clan, but they are scarce so people are looking for mega bucks for one, so I dont pay it and life goes on. Similarly track is not an essential, but some folk think they can make a fast buck when supply is interrupted. You have two choices, pay the price or wait, you are unlikely to die waiting for the price to return to normal.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 pm

mjb1961 wrote:
RFS wrote:
mjb1961 wrote:Absolute bargain ,4 lengths of peco flexi ,brand new never used ,,bargain at £125.99 ,if you are interested then search ,,goldfishinovations,,on eBay :roll:

Being as the listing shows 124 sold, I assume the seller is out of stock and hence set the price this high to deter buyers till he has more stock.

If he has run out of stock then why is he still advertising? :roll:Besides I only posted it as a laugh,I mean what sort of moron would actually pay that amount ,

Got me intrigued now RFS ,I've just search him and he has 'more than 10' as available,,I reckon he's trying it on ,hasn't the peco factory been closed because of the covid 19 and I'm sure it's created a shortage of track and it's pushed up the prices.

Many sellers do this, run out of stock and so increase the price, the fact it says he has more than 10 available is irrelevant, as that is set by the seller. It takes time to set up the adverts with all the photos, descriptions, key search words etc, so it's easier as a seller to simply increase the price to something no one will pay, than it is to remove the advert and re-list it when he gets more stock. Plus people will have that advert on watch. I used to do it with model boat hulls, I made them to order, if I got too many orders, I needed time to play catch-up, so the price went up. When I was all caught up, I'd reduce the price back down. Added bonus for sellers is that often eBay will send a message to people watching an item, telling them the price has been reduced, reminding them about the item and possibly getting them to buy it.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:35 am

Don't worry about it ,,forget it,it's old news,end of !! :) :)

Metr0Land

Postby Metr0Land » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:52 am

Rails of Sheffield deal of the day is Bachmann Mk1 FP Pullman 'Pearl' for £44.50 (Kernow curr £53.99)

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/3 ... nger-coach

Metr0Land

Postby Metr0Land » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:57 pm

eBay have extended their 20pct off offer for another month to end of July with selected businesss. Use the code PICKSMALLBIZ on checkout. This discount comes from eBay not the seller. These 2 places have model railway stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/modelrailmar ... pg=&_from=
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/southdevonra ... pg=&_from=

ikks

Postby ikks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:03 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
mjb1961 wrote:

Not at all.

Correct, profiteering can only be applied to excessive prices demanded for items essential to sustaining life. Otherwise it is a case of supply and demand, I would really like a Hornby Clan, but they are scarce so people are looking for mega bucks for one, so I dont pay it and life goes on. Similarly track is not an essential, but some folk think they can make a fast buck when supply is interrupted. You have two choices, pay the price or wait, you are unlikely to die waiting for the price to return to normal.

Jim

[quHi Jim, don't give give up, I got lucky in September last year when I picked one up on Ebay for GBP167.00 including postage to Oz and 10% GST,Got to admit I was a little nervous about what to expect but when it arrived it was perfect and had DCC Concepts decoder fitted........Well pleased.
Rgds......Mike[/quote]

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:17 pm

365Games have Hornby TTS decoders at a good price,with free delivery,from £30.99.

https://www.365games.co.uk/model-kits/s ... s+decoders

Hornchurch

Postby Hornchurch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:02 am

RailwayRobbo wrote:
Hattons have a few Easter bargains...

Heljan blue Parcels DMU @ £54 being the one that stands out.

mkrob wrote:
For anyone starting new in this hobby....

MkRob, et-al - It was only as late as summer 2016 that I got "back into" this wretched expensive hobby ! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That makes ME relevant to your comment.... "For anyone starting new in this hobby" - (As I started again, 'new', having left-off since 1971 !)

From summer 2016 onwards (till sometime last-year), I was ALWAYS able to pick-up some decent veritable "Bargains" (as per thread title)

Even a "late-comer" like me (2016-onward) has found the prices of brand-new engines & carriages getting increasingly "eyewatering"

( I view it as, say, £135.00-£150.00+ for the average "decent" engine, thesedays - BTW, I "do not" buy s/h, only Brand-New)

Let's take an example of a "Sale" in recent memory, which made my eyes light-up & made even me spend a whole GREAT chunk of cash...

IIRC, it was 'the box-shifter' near Merseyside (no names :wink: ) who named their "Sale" after a famous Anglia TV show, hosted by Nicholas Parsons

"SALE OF THE CENTURY" it was called, & basically it had a "returnee" like me (since 1971), foaming like a rabid-dog !

They were doing the Hornby 'Minoru' for about £79.00 - (I'd paid £99.00 for mine, during that summer, along w/'Woolwinder', LNER)

They were banging-out HELJAN class 58's for around £72.00 a shot - (I bought three !)

Loads of other obscene bargains, at arm-wrenching (for me), prices.

Another was the lovely Bachmann 'Colas-Railfreight' class 37's at around £90.00-£95.00 each (I bought two)

Now these prices MIGHT sound high, to those of you who've been involved in this hobby for years & years...

But I (alas), HAVEN'T - so by my "post-2016 just returned since 1971 eyes", the prices ("Bargains") seemed like a good-draw.

Fast-forward just two-years on & for me, "Bargain-wise", it all looks rather "flat as a pancake" & "dull as ditchwater".

The Merseysiders latest "Festive Sale" (to me, at least), looks as appealing as a Keg of Watney's Pale-Ale from 1971, served in 2020 (no-thanks !)

I spent a bloody-fortune (playing 'catch-up') during that (Nicholas Parsons) "SALE OF THE CENTURY"

Now, it's only two-years later, two years on & my wallet is clearly "staying closed"

Am typing this out, as it's now in the early hours of Pre-Dawn (27/11/20) & supposedly, it's "BLACK FRIDAY" today....

Haven't seen ANYTHING YET that is tempting me to part company with my (limited thesedays) "cash"

"BLACK FRIDAY" and I'm finding it all rather "underwhelming"

Anyone-else here feeling the same ?

P.S ; Mk.Rob -
IIRC, it was "BLACK FRIDAY" in 2018, that YOU put out a call, highlighting the L.T shop, selling Dapol's class 52 'Western'(s) at just £75.00 each

Am I wrong in just assuming that it (seems) flat as a pancake, model-railways-wise, on "BLACK FRIDAY" = 2020 style ?

P.P.S ; I know that Merseyside "fell-out" w/Bachmann & that Sheffield "fell-out" w/Hornby, which might explain "not much happening".

Even M.R.D (whom I've bought engines from during the last few years), seem "Flat as Ghandi's sandals"

Am I missing something here ?
(or, is it just that I've been spoiled in 2016-2018) - "Black Friday" & the sage-brush is rollin' across the plain !

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 am

Prefer Black Five Day to Black Friday! :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 am

Ahh the annual "Here's all the stock we couldn't sell all year..... but cheaper" day. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Hornchurch wrote:...Am I missing something here ?
... "Black Friday" & the sage-brush is rollin' across the plain !

All you are missing out on is being stampeded with the herd into a purchase on this curious 'Black Friday' prospect of price reductions which largely don't amount to much at all.

Better to lurk unmoving like a Crocodile until some worthwhile prey ventures too near the river bank.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”