Re: BARGAINS!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Great stuff! As the front cover shows the area I am modelling.
Great find Alex. Thanks :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Hattons have Hornby Railroad Box Vans for £5 (rrp £10.99).They are Ex-Airfix tooling with what looks like plastic wheels,so not that up to date if you are a rivet counter.Good for beginners!
Hattons also have DCC Concepts DP4SAP 8Pin 4-function decoders £10 (rrp £23.95)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/23158/Hornby_R ... etail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/59382/DCC_Conc ... etail.aspx

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 pm

The Box Vans are a good price, i need to unpack everything i already have and make a note of it because while i do fancy some i have a feeling i already have somewhere :lol:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Shame those box vans don't have metal wheels, I'd hoover them up for the chassis otherwise. Ah well, those decoders are good value, I suppose I ought to get a couple really...
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote: Ah well, those decoders are good value, I suppose I ought to get a couple really...

They are direct fit in the 8 pin socket and at 25mm long it can be difficult to find a loco they fit okay in - I ended up using one as a hard wired decoder :!:

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 pm

YouChoos have Zimo MX634D 21Pin decoders for £20 which are being sold elsewhere for £34.
http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Decoders

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Just had my monthly newsletter form Hattons, some good bargains on it, ex-ROD GWR 30xx locomotives from just £69 in BR black with early emblem

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=284&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=header&utm_campaign=Newsletter01051830xxBargains

And cut price 67s

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=286&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=header&utm_campaign=Newsletter010518Class67Bargains

Hope these links work

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue May 01, 2018 5:05 pm

I was just going to post that Jim LOL I'm £69 quid lighter :lol:

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 pm

I've just bought one of the Heljan Class 128 parcel DMUs from Hattons, a well made smooth running bit of kit.
Very happy with it and the price.
Tim
aka Forfarian

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 am

I know these Hornby 'starter sets' are always on offer but this one seemed a good price:
R1126 Mixed Freight 00 Gauge DCC Electric Train Set £114.98

£114.98 @ Asda

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 am

I picked up two mint Dapol GWR shirtbutton fruit vans for less than GBP 7.00 each from that store. Next day the same items were over GBP14.00 each. I have given up trying to make sense of their prices as there is no consistency.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm

alex3410 wrote:I know these Hornby 'starter sets' are always on offer but this one seemed a good price:
R1126 Mixed Freight 00 Gauge DCC Electric Train Set £114.98

£114.98 @ Asda

Didn't last long - now out of stock, they also have the single engine Somerset Belle set for £100

https://direct.asda.com/george/toys-character/cars-trains-planes/hornby-somerset-belle-digital-train-set/050255714,default,pd.html#choice:brand
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 12, 2018 9:45 am

Forfarian wrote:I've just bought one of the Heljan Class 128 parcel DMUs from Hattons, a well made smooth running bit of kit.

A giveaway for the money, I have one under adaption to power a Hornby Gresley full brake body shell. (This is going to be used as a 'booster' to enable a couple of very small locos to pull large ECS formations as they did in reality.)

Same comment applies to the class 26/0 (BRCW type 2) which Hattons have in the condition this class entered service, all over green with a white stripe at £61. Sweet running, pulls like a hero, looks right.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat May 12, 2018 10:27 am

Bigmet wrote:
Forfarian wrote:I've just bought one of the Heljan Class 128 parcel DMUs from Hattons, a well made smooth running bit of kit.

A giveaway for the money, I have one under adaption to power a Hornby Gresley full brake body shell. (This is going to be used as a 'booster' to enable a couple of very small locos to pull large ECS formations as they did in reality.)

Same comment applies to the class 26/0 (BRCW type 2) which Hattons have in the condition this class entered service, all over green with a white stripe at £61. Sweet running, pulls like a hero, looks right.

Both of these have found their way onto Gateside and Northbridge, as I wrote on my layout thread, despite not being regionally correct (rule 1 applies), the DPU makes a great propulsion unit for a Lima DMU with the usual suspect motor and pickup, and you can never have too many class 26s on a Scottish Layout, that is now 8 Sulzers on mine. I am very tempted with the Heljan Class 16 North British Type 1 D8409 in BR green with grey roof - at £72, after all they were made in Glasgow, could I get away with one returning to the NBL for extended trials????? :D

Jim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 pm

I should say yes to the class 16! Could even be on acceptance trial after construction before going away down South?

I had a pair of Heljan's class 15s already, which are entirely appropriate for my KX area steam to diesel transition modelling and both look well (just a little adjustment to the cab fit to improve them) and operate as beautifully as the prototypes so signally failed to do.

And then the class 16 appeared, much less common on my modelling patch but when Hattons had them at bargain price I relented, and am glad I did. This may well be one of the best models in Heljan's range, runs sweetly and has the characterful appearance very well. Clearly someone at NBL thought that louvres were the thing, and the end result having been so well captured makes it distinctively different to all the other pilot scheme diesel traction. The only thing I have done to it is to saw out the raised cover inside the cab that links the control desks and conceals the mechanism; replaced in black paper the cab interior's false floor is made lower and is simply dark, instead of the very visible pale grey of the original moulding. The result of this modification is 'nothing to see' when in normal operation.

This model also keeps reminding me that I should obtain spoked wheelsets for my class 21 'Hornbach' lash up. I will wait until the Dapol model comes out before making the decision: buy new or continue to improve existing? Will Dapol match the standard of my grand collection of the three KX area 'diesel disaster' classes Heljan have successfully provided, 15, 16 and 23?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”