Re: BARGAINS!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Its not one of the first batches of Chinese made models when Hornby first moved production? These would have the finer scale blackened wheels but have kept the tender drives. I had a 9F like this and a 4F. (Or was it 3F :D ). The tender drives were identical to Margate examples but the armatures were 5 pole instead of the usual 3 pole.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2600
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby D605Eagle » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

The first Chinese made ringfields were 3 pole, but with a better quality made armature. It wasn't until about 2003 that they changed them to 5 pole. They also altered the diameter of the armature and also the gears were finer on the drive train IIRC. However that model was never released as a tender drive made in China, so as Tim says, its a railroad loco drive (albeit with traction tyre), and at the price is a bargain.

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 7:56 pm

I have to agree with you there. It is a very good price.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

GWR_fan
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Antipodes

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby GWR_fan » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

At the price I am surprised it has not sold. The model is R3061

http://www.hattons.co.uk/35998/Hornby_R ... etail.aspx

User avatar
PanzerJohn
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby PanzerJohn » Thu May 31, 2018 1:26 pm

It has now.

GWR_fan
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Antipodes

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby GWR_fan » Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 pm

I am glad some one purchased it. I was sorely tempted a couple of times seeing it just sitting there. At the price it was too good to ignore. Several times I have seen items with the wrong part number knowing them to be later models and the prices reduced accordingly. I have said a few times the store really needs an expert to appraise the models to ensure what they are listing and pricing are accurate. However, given the thousands of pre-owned items listed mistakes are inevitable.

Last year I picked up a limited release "Silver Jubilee" Bachmann black 5 listed as an earlier split-chassis model for a song (around GBP35.00). Also received a Hornby Castle class listed as a ringfield drive. When received it was the latest loco drive model with an ESU sound decoder and everything functioned perfectly. Cost me just over GBP 45.00. I regularly scour the site for bargains, particularly supposed non-runners, as true bargains are there.

User avatar
PanzerJohn
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby PanzerJohn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

More likely they have used the wrong photo by mistake, I've seen them do that before.

trainlover23
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby trainlover23 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:44 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I am glad some one purchased it. I was sorely tempted a couple of times seeing it just sitting there. At the price it was too good to ignore. Several times I have seen items with the wrong part number knowing them to be later models and the prices reduced accordingly. I have said a few times the store really needs an expert to appraise the models to ensure what they are listing and pricing are accurate. However, given the thousands of pre-owned items listed mistakes are inevitable.

Last year I picked up a limited release "Silver Jubilee" Bachmann black 5 listed as an earlier split-chassis model for a song (around GBP35.00). Also received a Hornby Castle class listed as a ringfield drive. When received it was the latest loco drive model with an ESU sound decoder and everything functioned perfectly. Cost me just over GBP 45.00. I regularly scour the site for bargains, particularly supposed non-runners, as true bargains are there.


Bachmann do not make a Black 5 so it must have been Bachmann Jubilee class

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Hornby made an excellent black 5 just before DCC sockets became popular.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

GWR_fan
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Antipodes

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:00 am

trainlover23 wrote:.....................................Bachmann do not make a Black 5 so it must have been Bachmann Jubilee class


Correct, many thanks.

windcutter9f
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby windcutter9f » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:29 pm



I bought a Heljan EM1 from Olivias trains about two years ago when they were full price,however the pantographs are useless,i replaced them with Trix pantos from the TTRCA which do work under my Trix catenary.Following on from that success,I`ve just bought an EM2 Minerva at a bargain price.

A pic of the EM1 with Trix pantographs whichwill be made operational in the near future.

20180525_205436 copy hrca.jpg


Ray.

User avatar
TimberSurf
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 pm
Location: N.Wales
Contact:

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm

You will never see a PTC 60W variable Temperature iron with work station at this price ever again!

promotions @ pcb-soldering.co.uk

and UK supplier!
Image
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Buggleskelly
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm
Location: Basildon, Essex

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby Buggleskelly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm

This must come a close second though via Amazon :0)
Attachments
58w iron.png

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 am
Location: Stoke on Trent
Contact:

Re: BARGAINS!

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 am

Buggleskelly wrote:This must come a close second though via Amazon :0)


I've just bought one of these off eBay (new, with two spare tips, total £12.40), so I'll let you all know if it's any good shortly.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

User avatar
End2end
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: At the end....... and sometimes at the other end

Scalecast (Linka) Summer Sale 20% off everything.

Postby End2end » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Scalecast summer 20% off sale.
https://www.scalecast.co.uk/store/c1/Fe ... 75b690c258

Enter the code SUMMER1 @ the checkout
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests