Another wild idea

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Another wild idea

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:55 am

I first thought of this some time ago, but the technology was too new/expensive to pursue at the time. Several iterations of equipment later I find myself looking for homes for various flat screens and the idea is reborn.
Tracks disappearing under a bridge is quite a common feature of the end of a layout. This was my idea:
take the video camera/mobile phone and find a location somewhere along the elevated section of the M6 where the camera could be at road level pointing directly at the motorway, or borrow the sons drone to put the camera at just the right height. Record a good length of passing traffic. Edit the footage on the PC to form a loop. Mount one of the surplus flat screens across the end of the layout, with a viaduct wall across the end of it so that the recorded images could be played back on a continuous loop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Re: Another wild idea

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm

Many possibilities, as it's 'scenery that moves'. The background from dawn to dusk, airport operation in the distance, ships moving on and off a dock, great smoking steelworks <substitute industry of choice> passengers arriving on a platform, train pulls in front and on departure there are the disembarked passengers walking away. This could fix forever the cliche of 'the immobile bus on the bridge'; though I think my favoured application would be a crossing rail route on an overbridge, as most layouts don't have the width to allow this to be 'operational'.

ChrisGreaves

Postby ChrisGreaves » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:28 pm

Bigmet wrote:Many possibilities, ...

Knock yersen out with the biggest flat-screen you can find, and use it as the "viewing window" to your instant-model-railway-layout.
"A new layout every week"
I would like 15% of the takings, please.
Cheers, Chris

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 pm

'Snot the same on a screen as compared to a real trainset. In my opinion at least...

Seen many good layouts on my big screen, watch it through the operating sequence once and I am done. Whereas the same good layout in reality will keep me happy operating it 'forever'.

ChrisGreaves

Postby ChrisGreaves » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:06 am

Bigmet wrote:'Snot the same on a screen as compared to a real trainset. In my opinion at least...

well ok, he responded, dragging himself somewhat reluctantly back on-topic ...
Mount one of the surplus flat screens across the end of the layout, with a viaduct wall across the end of it so that the recorded images could be played back on a continuous loop.

it seems to me that you are looking for real-action in the outside world (e.g. motorways) where that action can be played back on a small portion of a flat-screen.
Maybe the "mouth of a tunnel" threw me off, but I am thinking of small well-defined areas (or apertures) on a model layout where - tunnel or bridge-like - a scene would make sense.
An endless loop of grazing cows or sheep would look unrealistic after the 1,000th had gone by.
A view of the harbor with ships being tugged in/out would need to be lifeless most of the time.
A shopping street would work, the view being between two blocks of houses to the shopping street one short block further back.
A bus or two pulling up, seen through the arches of the staton entrance, and then pulling away in a circle and being seen leaving.

The surmountable hurdle seems to be a balance of the view between the low frequency of events in the outside world to the high level of activity of the model trains.

Perhaps distraction is the name of the game: a change of picture on the flat screen while the viewers attention is diverted elsewhere, by the arrival of a train?
Cheers, Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 pm

About the time I first had the idea I had some animation software that was an experiment in "object oriented programming". You could create scenes and actors then give the actors actions and get them to play them out driven by a script. It was all very noddy but the system worked. You could use a program to generate a script "on the fly" so that it wasn't just repetition. The people who wrote it sadly never developed it as they had to turn their attention to producing Windows compatible versions of a whole catalogue of innovative software.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:03 pm

It is a good idea.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”