Hornby featured on tv

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Hornby featured on tv

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am

b308 wrote:To a certain extent I'm with Flashbang and I have put the series on catch-up so will probably watch the rest... I was slightly annoyed that Triang didn't get a look-in when talking of their history even though many of the models they showed were either Triang originals or after the takeover and were Triang-Hornby, they completely ignored their history even though it was what Triang did that eventually put the kybosh on Hornby and lead to the takeover. And even that Margate which was mentioned so many times was actually the Triang factory! Perhaps being someone who was brought up on Triang and T-H and not Hornby Dublo I may be a bit bias, though!

AS one who was just getting started in model railways when Hornby Dublo went bust, I have nothing but disdain for all things that had the word Tri-Ang in the name, horrible chunky track that didn't connect with anything unless you bought the son called "adaptor track" poor models that were nothing like the quality of Hornby Dublo, they were simply toys. It took years for the propriatory scene to recover.
Tri-ang is best consigned to the dustbin of history.

The above is my opinion besed on personal experience of the era.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:43 am

Mod: Possible cause for concern over the written words. To protect the forum the text has been removed and E2E messaged
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:12 pm

Mod Quoted text removed to protect the forum from possible legal actions!

Not seen it yet so thanks for the warning.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm

There's something called "fast forward", use that instead of turning it off! ;)

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm

I did. I fast forwarded to do something else. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Intrigued by the steam generator to go beyond the sound. It's obviously in the experiment/early prototype phase. I initially thought showing it at this stage was a bit risky, but then second thought was rather crafty if they apply for patent or registered design everyone who's seen the programme is witness to what they were doing when...

It's not patentable, all based on 'prior art'. Hornby's problem is that they cannot do it effectively, because of the safety issue with what is sold as a child's toy.

We can do better though as modellers. The trick is to first heat the water to near boiling, then the ultrasonic generator puts in the extra energy to make it into steam, which condenses into visible water vapour as it exits the loco chimney: being hot it will keep going upwards in the colder air, rather than 'raining' all over the loco. Far less water required this way, and a much better effect, and if we lightly scald ourselves we will just 'suck it up'. Hornby cannot risk lawsuit from the parents of their precious parboiled Gawain...

This needs a good power supply; so DCC it is then, forget 'battery power is the future'...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Making steam ultrasonically seems so simple until it stops working. We are on our second "Optimyst" electric fire. They work for 18 months then simply stop working. We have a huge collection of transducers none of which work in the fire but will fill the room with mist if connected to a power supply and tossed in a bowl of water. I doubt we'll get the manufactures to swap the whole thing again. I think miniature versions are likely to run into similar problems.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Making steam ultrasonically seems so simple until it stops working. We are on our second "Optimyst" electric fire. They work for 18 months then simply stop working. We have a huge collection of transducers none of which work in the fire but will fill the room with mist if connected to a power supply and tossed in a bowl of water. I doubt we'll get the manufactures to swap the whole thing again. I think miniature versions are likely to run into similar problems.

Old story of needing to use a suitably specified device if longevity is required. If you want it to be good, expect to ask 'and how much?!'. I have specified a few such oltrasonic transducers in the long ago, and the price difference between the short lifespan and long term endurance types was 50x. (It was worth it, a couple of hours lost production on a 24/7 manufacturing plant at each unpredictable failure was a lot of money down the drain; while a reliable unit that could be replaced at a planned monthly interval meant no in service failures.) I might hope that price ratio has reduced by technology advances, but am long out of touch with this tech.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:37 pm

No comments for episode 3?

I was surprised at the mahoosive O gauge layout feature. Nothing to speak of directly commercially relevant to Hornby in this. (In fact I felt that of model railway manufacturers, Noch got the most product placement.) But it's about railway modelling; and specifically that a very ambitious model railway layout may come to a location somewhere near you, so look out for it. Credit where due here, that was significant promotion of the model railway hobby, so Hornby do 'get it': the hobby is more than just Hornby, and the more positive exposure the hobby gets the better; and yes, Hornby stands to benefit commercially if such exposure increases public interest.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Its Hornby in name in the same sense as Hornby magazine, admittaby with a bit more focus on them but really another media production using the Hornby name to self promote it. How many purchase Hornby magazine because of the name rather than if it had been a relaunced Model Railway Constructor?

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Mod. Quoted text removed to protect the forum from possible legal actions!

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? What program was that ??

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Why didn`t he say so then

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 pm

Flashbang wrote:...Part 3 IMO was very poor and almost rubbish ... Oh dear! The series so far in all three transmitted episodes is very poor IMO...

It's no masterpiece for sure. That's what the fast scan on hard disc is for. Whizz through the majority, look selectively at what's of interest :in the third episode, the big O gauge layout.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:22 pm

...and this most recent episode, Pete Waterman's WCML layout.

craziej2k

Postby craziej2k » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm watching the latest episode atm, what would be the purpose of having a motorised carridge like the one they showed being repaired?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”