Hornby featured on tv

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Flashbang

Re: Hornby featured on tv

Postby Flashbang » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Found the first one quite disappointing and a little boring! Seemed to me to all about the Hornby Dublo MN loco. :o
Nothing really mentioned about Hornby OO models or their general items! Far too much time spent on the limited edition and its costly sound fitted MN loco!
Next week is apparently mainly about Airfix!
I will watch the next episode and then decide if the rest is worthy of watching?
At this time the answer is possibly, No! :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am

To a certain extent I'm with Flashbang and I have put the series on catch-up so will probably watch the rest... I was slightly annoyed that Triang didn't get a look-in when talking of their history even though many of the models they showed were either Triang originals or after the takeover and were Triang-Hornby, they completely ignored their history even though it was what Triang did that eventually put the kybosh on Hornby and lead to the takeover. And even that Margate which was mentioned so many times was actually the Triang factory! Perhaps being someone who was brought up on Triang and T-H and not Hornby Dublo I may be a bit bias, though!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 am

The present Hornby business doesn't own the rights to the Triang name is my understanding, so no point in mentioning it, from a commercial perspective. The pile of second hand Triang is a competitor to the current business; last thing in the world Hornby now want to advertise!

As others above, it's on series record on my HDD; as in fact are all the television programmes I watch because:
you can skip through all advertising and programme promotions, and in the content, the endless repetition and padding;
you can preview whole programmes at high speed to see if there is anything of interest;
you can replay any interesting content at faster rates.

It takes about ten minutes total to watch the good content from an hour of the average TV programme.

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 pm

My wife used to work for hornby in margate kent spray painting Thomas the tank engine and friends she said it was hard.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:11 pm

I doubt if the " pile" of second hand Tri-ang would worry Hornby, as that market is mainly a nostalgic market. What does annoy me is the continual reference to Hornby being the original company. The present Hornby only came into existence when Tri-ang went bust in the 80s I think. The present Hornby is trading .on a name

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 pm

The Triang name was sold off in the early 70s, hence the name change around that time, Hornby was the original company, being taken over by Triang in the mid 60s but predating them by many years! The only reason I mentioned it was that I did feel they owed a lot to Triang and also that many of their products were shown in the programme, I would have just liked to see a small mention about them, but it seems not!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:17 pm

trainlover23 wrote:...What does annoy me is the continual reference to Hornby being the original company. The present Hornby only came into existence when Tri-ang went bust in the 80s I think. The present Hornby is trading on a name.

And why not? That company and its name is their property, they bought it, and it's a normal thing to do in business; and if it works with the actual and potential customers, then that's all the justification required commercially.

I felt that the present business was dangerously trading on 'that name' until about a dozen years ago, with their catalogue full of low grade lightly warmed over Margate/Triang product. But look at the range now, far more ambitious in orienting itself toward the adult modeller market with a growing number of models made to a higher standard. If there was one criticism I would make of their marketing it was that the present business hasn't clearly demarcated 'old legacy toys' (ideal for the Railroad' brand) from what might be termed 'standard' and 'higher specification' products, in particular forever blurring the lines around what Railroad might indicate. Will they retain the 'Hornby-Dublo' style exclusively for limited edition issues of premium product in future?

(Personally I don't care about the name. 'Diarrhea Unlimited' will get a sale from me if they produce a good RTR model of a subject I can use. A Gresley triplet dining car set perhaps?)

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:39 pm

A little single focused on the Dublo MN but being a part of a 10 part series I’m guessing they’ll be looking at other Hornby Railway stuff. Better than most of the rubbish on TV so I’ll continue to watch.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Postby 4472 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Did like Eddie Izzards snow covered layout !! Learned something about lighting buildings using straws to support the leds
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Intrigued by the steam generator to go beyond the sound. It's obviously in the experiment/early prototype phase. I initially thought showing it at this stage was a bit risky, but then second thought was rather crafty if they apply for patent or registered design everyone who's seen the programme is witness to what they were doing when. I can see it may have numerous side problems, like condensation on the layout to overcome before it can be called perfected. The die cast bi-plane seemed to be rather determined to overcome the limitations of a die cast wing rather than the obvious solution of a die cast body with flexible plastic wings and dare I suggest wire for the wires. it's called using the most suitable material for the job.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Intrigued by the steam generator to go beyond the sound. It's obviously in the experiment/early prototype phase.

There is a guy called TRS Trains who pioneered that technology, he has fitted my Hornby model of 4498 which an ultrasonic water vapour smoke unit. It’s very good and he does a commission service. Below is a link to the video he did for my loco, his YouTube channel worth a look.

YouTube link, click image.

I preferred this episode to the first I think. It was interesting to see some modelling done and the scanning process for that biplane. I was surprised at how sophisticated the Corgi range is!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 am

Bufferstop wrote: The die cast bi-plane seemed to be rather determined to overcome the limitations of a die cast wing rather than the obvious solution of a die cast body with flexible plastic wings and dare I suggest wire for the wires. it's called using the most suitable material for the job.

Longeveity and robustness I expect, even though they kept going on about making it as fine as possible the end result was still rather crude and heavy, though nowhere near as bad as the 1:72 version by someone else!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:37 am

I can imagine that it became a challenge which would gain kudos from the brotherhood of die-sinkers.

@PeterH, the sway induced by the steam synch mechanism looks very realistic, is there a tendency to de-rail?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 am

No, very good runner which doesn’t derail. The sway disappears when it’s running with a load behind it.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am

Bufferstop wrote:...@PeterH, the sway induced by the steam synch mechanism looks very realistic, is there a tendency to de-rail?

If I may butt in, the sway will be generated by interaction with the rolling road which introduces its own dynamic variances to those of the loco mechanism; so a worse case than the loco mechanism on the rails: and with all the damping that the rail/wheel interaction normally imparts to the complete vehicle when in motion along the track, completely absent.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”