Brakeman Controller modification

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
meehow

Brakeman Controller modification

Postby meehow » Sun May 09, 2021 10:41 am

Managed to get the Brakeman Controller.
It feels so good to operate the levers :-)
It appears that the main power pack contains the transformer and rectifier. By means of copper prongs, the 12V DC goes to controllers.
They are modular and theoretically could connect any number of them. Power of the transformer is the limit.
Am I right?

What I am thinking is a 12V battery (unlimited amps) or a 12V laptop charger (8amps) as a power source.

7Ah battery would give me 3+ hours of running 4 locomotives before recharging (assuming 0.5A per loco).

Will it work?

Ironduke

Re: Brakeman Controller modification

Postby Ironduke » Sun May 09, 2021 11:30 am

MODEL RAILWAY CONTROLLER
For those of our readers who are keen model railway enthusiasts, Routier (Electronic Engineers) Ltd., are producing a new power unit and controllers for gauge 00 and gauge N tracks. Called the Brakeman Power-Pak and Brakeman Controllers, the units are of modular design, the controllers plugging in to the sides of the power units. A power unit can be used alone, with one or two controllers for gauge 00 or with up to six controllers for N gauge tracks. Each controller has a forward, reverse and central off slide-lever control which governs the motion of one locomotive.
The Power-Pak is fitted with a double insulated transformer (no earth lead required) and an automatic resetting cut-out gives overload protection for all outputs. Two independent isolated output windings of 12V d.c. provide 1A on either side in addition to which a 16V a.c. output with two wander plugs is located at the front panel to provide power for points, motors, signals, etc.
Further information and prices for the Power-Pak and Controller can be obtained from Routier (Electronic Engineers) Ltd., Ion House, Sheep Lane, London, E8 4QS.

You should get 1 amp from either side of the power-pak.
Regards
Rob

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 09, 2021 4:14 pm

meehow wrote:...What I am thinking is a 12V battery (unlimited amps) or a 12V laptop charger (8amps) as a power source...

THERE WILL BE NO OVERCURRENT PROTECTION IN THE EVENT OF A SHORT CIRCUIT, AND AS YOU SEEM AWARE A 12v BATTERY CAN PUSH OUT ENOUGH CURRENT TO START A FIRE VERY RAPIDLY, AND THE 8A SUPPLY WON'T BE FAR BEHIND.

There's a big difference between 'Works' and 'Works safely'.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri May 21, 2021 8:15 pm

I've got some of these controllers and I'll say this; on the old Hornby Dublo models the start voltage was so high they took off like a rocket. This isn't me pushing the lever wide open, it was at the first "notch". If you are going to run these with far more modern motors I think you might have problems getting low speed control.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”