Southern loco suggestions needed (again)

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
muggins

Southern loco suggestions needed (again)

Postby muggins » Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Which steam-outline Southern loco would you go for given a need to reliably pull 5 or 6 Hornby Maunsell corridor coaches up a slow incline which has a curve on it?

To give you some idea of that gradient, a Bachman K3 will reliably manage 6 Bachmann Mk1s up it or 16 coal wagons plus brake van, but my Hornby Maunsells are nowhere near as free-running as the Bachmann Mk1s. Before my s/h Hornby S15 started acting up, it would just manage 4 of the Maunsells comfortably but struggled with 5, and barely coped with the 6 Mk1s. However, these tests were done before the S15 started acting up (see "S15 woes" in the Hornby sub-forum).

PS I've managed to get over my thoroughly-irrational aversion to 8-wheel tenders :)

muggins

Re: Southern loco suggestions needed (again)

Postby muggins » Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am

Thinking further about this, I need to do some more testing with my existing locos. I also need to think again about how realistic the plan is to run a 5/6 coach train on this raileway with these Hornby Maunsells that definitely aren't as free-running as the Bachmann Mk1s.

Another consideration is loco wheelbase, as the S15's was actually 5mm too long for my turntable. I thought that as the S15 was such a smashing locomotive I could live with the consequent operational issues, but no doubt it would have got to me in the end ...

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri May 07, 2021 9:02 am

I'm surprised the S15 struggled. One of mine visited a friend's figure-8 ;ayout and managed 29 4-wheel wagons up the gradient on what is approximately a 3rd radius curve - not all were free-running.

I would still go with an S15. Unfortunately, Hornby have not modelled one of the class that gained 6-wheel tenders, because that would solve the turntable problem. Is there nothing you can do to free up the running of your Maunsells? Mine are all quite free-running.

You could try a Hornby 700 or Q1, which did occasionally find themselves on local passenger duties. Hornby's Lord Nelson may fit the passenger duties better, but definitely won't fit your turntable. I don't have one, but reviews suggest it can haul a decent load. An N 2-6-0 would fit the bill perfectly, but I don't know if the Bachmann model would take the load up your gradients.

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri May 07, 2021 9:48 am

Oh happy day! :)

I've discovered that my N Class will just manage all five Maunsell corridors going one way round my "main line"! I hadn't realised that the gradient's very slightly easier at one end of the raised bit, but I can live with the long train only running in one direction if I have to.

Actually, having watched it again on several more circuits, I do believe that it would pull six if only I can get them running a bit better. I hear what you say about them being free-running: the bloke in the local model shop says the same. Ho hum ... new thread time!

PS I now assume that the S15 I had was under par even before it started slowing down.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 07, 2021 10:26 am

SRman wrote:...I would still go with an S15....

A second go at an S15 seems worthwhile to me too. It was clear that many purchasers got good ones, so they have been available, and such a handsome loco too. (I am very tempted but can find no evidence that one ever made it to the ECML; I have a Bulleid Q1 because one very definitely did.)

SRman wrote:...Unfortunately, Hornby have not modelled one of the class that gained 6-wheel tenders... Is there nothing you can do to free up the running of your Maunsells? Mine are all quite free-running...

I'd be putting a tiny puff of GT85 (plastic compatible PTFE spray) on the coach pinpoints, has worked very effectively for 20 years on both Bachmann (BR mk1)and Hornby (K type Pullman) coach bogies, so I am confident of no significant plastic degradation risk.

The tender now, how are the axles mounted? If there's one real deficit in Hornby's steam loco designs it is the tender's horrible 'axle in draggy plastic retainer', compounded with draggy pick up wipers which actually become draggier as running time extends. I have seen an 8F rendered immobile, driving wheels slipping, through this! The owner coudn't believe that the cure was as simple as dump the Hornby tender, hang an old Mainline (Jubilee) Stanier tender on the back.

RFS

Postby RFS » Fri May 07, 2021 11:21 am

I have two if the BR S15s and both work perfectly. I use DCC and the only problem I had with them is that the interference suppressor on the DCC socket was causing my class 71 to sometimes behave erratically. A quick snip on the C1 terminal sorted that. The S15s themselves never had a problem with DCC. Both locos will haul decent loads and are very smooth due to the twin flywheels.

Seems like you have the same problem with turntables as the SR did on the Central Section with the S15s, hence those posted there acquired 6-wheel tenders. Hornby haven't produced an S15 with one although they have done so for the N15s.

Surprised you find the Maunsell coaches not free-running? I have loads of these and they the most free running that I have. I can even use one to test my track is level!
Robert Smith

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri May 07, 2021 2:25 pm

RFS wrote:... Surprised you find the Maunsell coaches not free-running? I have loads of these and they the most free running that I have ...

That's what everybody seems to say. But alas, mine are simply not in the same league. Anyhow, all is not lost - I know I've got some GT85 in the shed somewhere ...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”