The Great Model Railway Challenge

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mike Parkes

Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Think the issue with the scratchbuild challenge is too many modellers today expect everything to be ready made or neatly packed together as a kit. The obvious one to me was the spectacles - chop the frame up and use it as scrap metal seemed obvious but not to any of those taking part.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 am

Actually I came up with the same idea as one of the teams for the goggles, viewing holes! To be fair they have little or no time to come up with an idea and only an hour to do it, and under pressure so what many of them have done has been quite good in the circumstances...

The viewing figures rather proves the current set-up does actually work! Trouble with us is that we want to see more modelling and less faffing around, if they did what people on here and other forums are suggesting the viewing figures would drop off as the only people watching would be enthusiasts...

What we need to do is capitalise on it's popularity and when exhibitions are run advertise them accordingly and where possible get one of the layouts to the show. Several exhibitions have noticed an increase in attendance since it's started so it can work. One thing we won't do, though, is change the way it's set-up.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 am

Mike Parkes wrote:Think the issue with the scratchbuild challenge is too many modellers today expect everything to be ready made or neatly packed together as a kit. The obvious one to me was the spectacles - chop the frame up and use it as scrap metal seemed obvious but not to any of those taking part.

I think that the problem for most modelers is that we identify something that we want to build and then find an object that could be adapted to enable that building process, when you are presented with the object first it needs a different thought process to come up with something that it can be made into, and when you are under pressure in a competition scenario it can result in your mind going blank - think of the number of contestants that have given stupid answers to questions that seem obvious to the viewer, you are not on the spot having to answer under time constraint.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:30 am

Some of my thoughts...

After seeing mixed reviews on this (and the "other") forum, I decided to watch the whole series back to back yesterday (my partner had recorded the series for me).

I have to say that I actually enjoyed the series, however, there were several aspects that let it down:

- That bloody awful muzak.
- The two clowns that presented it. A narrator next time, please.
- That annoying nasal announcement informing the teams of their remaining time. An on-screen timer would have been better.
- The scratchbuilding challenge. Looked like the aforementioned clowns had raided the local recycling centre for random rubbish to use.

I was pretty impressed by several of the layouts (cue awkward questions from my grandchildren about why my project is taking so long), the WW1-themed one ("Go Forth") was particularly good.

Will I be watching the next series? Quite likely.
Last edited by DonB on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 pm

I thought it was just a bit of fun and a good laugh which is a far cry from the usual 'this goes with that attitude', some of us need to lighten up and put the fun back into our great hobby, I love my mates outlook on layout building which includes planting a few palm trees and grass huts and calling it Bongo Bongo Land, I wish them good luck for another great future series.
Regards
Nobby

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Saw the winners at Warley yesterday.
The layout looked good in the flesh. Very futuristic.
The guys also looked good in their newly acquired 'uniforms' LOL.

Pete

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 pm

The Blackadder layout is for sale on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Great-Mod ... 0009.m1982

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:21 pm

End2end wrote:The Blackadder layout is for sale on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Great-Mod ... 0009.m1982

Thanks
End2end

Didn't sell.
0 bids.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Aberdeen are taking their winning layout City of Tiers and also Clucas Bay which was their winner in the heats to Model Rail Scotland, looking forward to seeing them a week on Friday

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

If Warley was anything to go on, get there early. They had the biggest crowd. They seemed to be the ones everyone had to see. The City of Tiers was very much a bit of theatre but showed just what could be achieved if you were working to a set of goals.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”