Re: BARGAINS!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am

Right, this one comes with a warning to check prices even if they are 'on offer'

10% off Jadlam Racing Models
10% off EVERYTHING for 24hours! Get involved whilst stocks are good!! Use discount code FLASH at checkout.

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:30 pm

alex3410 wrote:Right, this one comes with a warning to check prices even if they are 'on offer'

10% off Jadlam Racing Models
10% off EVERYTHING for 24hours! Get involved whilst stocks are good!! Use discount code FLASH at checkout.

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com

I shall have to avoid that one, they are far too tempting at the best of times.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 am

This one from Lidl being advertised on the radio this morning, available form today. Hornby train set "The Urban Rambler", £49.99

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=17780

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:37 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:This one from Lidl being advertised on the radio this morning, available form today. Hornby train set "The Urban Rambler", £49.99

Blimey! I never thought I'd see brand names like Hornby, Airfix and Scalextric in Lidl's. :shock:
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl. ... leId=17777
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl. ... leId=17778
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl. ... leId=17779
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 pm

They have had Airfix kits in Aldi a few times over the last two years, normally the starter sets.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 am

Jadlam Toys & Models

10% OFF ALL SL HORNBY RAILWAY SETS!!

Enter the discount code: HLSETS at checkout for the discount to be applied!
https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/sear ... tegory=303

HORNBY Coach R4860 Pullman, 'J' Type 'Devon Belle' Observation Car, No. 13 Era 3 £54.95

Up to 755 off on other things
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 am

TimberSurf wrote:Jadlam Toys & Models

As with everything i guess - just check prices against others as even with sale it may be cheaper elsewhere! (recent amazon Hornby 'black friday' offers for example are more then Hattons etc)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 am

I admit to picking up two Bachmann ROD 30XX locomotives, one pristine and one weathered and both were mint and run perfectly, however, given the number of bargains in the famous "sale of the century" firesale, I simply cannot enthuse myself to purchase any more items. For a few weeks I mulled over five locomotives that were loaded in my cart, but seemingly have no "energy" to press the "Add to Cart" prompt. Just because it is a bargain is simply not enough of a dangling carrot to get my attention.

It does irk me though when I have seen many items on a firesale at the store suddenly increase in price when the stock level drops. A Bachmann Midland Compound once being flogged off at GBP79.00 now sells for around GBP109.00. Another item was the Hornby Western Pullman trainset with a TTS equipped Hall class locomotive. I purchased twelve of these trainsets for GBP125.00 each to strip out. Seemingly overnight the price increased to GBP199.00 at which it has remained for at least the last year and seemingly the same stock level as a year ago. The Heljan "Lion" was another example that for a long time was on firesale for GBP72.00 and then suddenly increased to over GBP100.00.

It does surprise me though that the class 128 from Heljan, other than the BR green version, has continued to plummet in price. It must surely be one of the best buys available, assuming that one does not mind reassembling all the detail parts that detach intransit.

One mystery though that escapes my sense of reality is how a Golden Valley/Oxford Rail Janus in BP livery is basically half the price of other releases. Does this reflect the true production cost of these models. I cannot see production numbers in this livery being any greater than other liveries, so why the massive discount???????

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 am

GWR_fan wrote:One mystery though that escapes my sense of reality is how a Golden Valley/Oxford Rail Janus in BP livery is basically half the price of other releases. Does this reflect the true production cost of these models. I cannot see production numbers in this livery being any greater than other liveries, so why the massive discount???????

As I tell the Mrs, you shouldn't buy things just because its on sale! Its only a deal if you actually want it. :D

I think the Janus may be a case of unpopular livery. If they have loads sat around its costing the company storage space they could use for turning over more profitable items. At that price its surely a loss for the company individually.

I got some coaches on half price but the basket had a lot of things removed before checkout as I decided I didn't genuinely need them!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I think I fell for it. I bought £350 worth of very heavily discounted locos, and they are sat in their boxes and I'm thinking why did I buy them....... I am going to have to look at it as a longish term investment because I don't think I'll ever really want to use them. Honestly I feel a bit of an idiot now. :?

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

GWR_fan wrote:One mystery though that escapes my sense of reality is how a Golden Valley/Oxford Rail Janus in BP livery is basically half the price of other releases. Does this reflect the true production cost of these models. I cannot see production numbers in this livery being any greater than other liveries, so why the massive discount???????

Various factors come into play - the stock of that model was no doubt paid for by Hattons on an invoice with a number of others. As far as they are concerned they have paid X for a proportion of their stock of which the BP Janus is only part. They can balance out how to get more than X back by dangling this one for example as a carrot. There is also the issue that they are filling up a section of the warehouse and that in itself has a cost involved that they will want to write off.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:

Various factors come into play - the stock of that model was no doubt paid for by Hattons on an invoice with a number of others. As far as they are concerned they have paid X for a proportion of their stock of which the BP Janus is only part. They can balance out how to get more than X back by dangling this one for example as a carrot. There is also the issue that they are filling up a section of the warehouse and that in itself has a cost involved that they will want to write off.

Yes, the BP livery may be a dangling carrot but as a very recent release, the model had hardly reached market saturation point and the price reduction was consistent with models from other manufacturers that have sat on shelves for a long time. I would assume that production numbers across the range of Janus liveries would be fairly consistent so believe other factors are at play considering the low sale price relative to other liveries which have been in the market for a longer time. I cannot see the commissioner over producing the model as sales of other liveries would have been a guide as to the production number for the BP livery.

Another possibility is that the commissioner "flogged off" the livery at a much reduced wholesale price resulting in the low sale price but that also would make one wonder why a new release would go straight to the bargain bin. More to this I believe.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 pm

D605Eagle wrote:I think I fell for it. I bought £350 worth of very heavily discounted locos, and they are sat in their boxes and I'm thinking why did I buy them....... I am going to have to look at it as a longish term investment because I don't think I'll ever really want to use them. Honestly I feel a bit of an idiot now. :?

Oh dear, happens to the best of us.

.... so what did you get? :D

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

BR liveried K1, BR Drummond 700 class, BP Janus shunter, ANOTHER class 16 (wheres the face palm emoji??) another LNER liveried J15, Falcon again.(at least it was a different livery!)
I've lost the plot!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm

So now we have Hattons 12 days of Christmas bargains. A different item offered at a 'bargain' price for just 24 hours. Yesterday it was a Bachmann OO Birdcage coach, today an O gauge GWR loco and tomorrow, who knows? Get your wallets out guys.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”