Rolling stock

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
8vchris

Rolling stock

Postby 8vchris » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Forgive me but I can't seem to find an answer to this, it's more a curiosity than anything really. I recently bought an S&DJR liveried 0-6-0 that I'm rather happy with.

I have it pulling mk2 rolling stock, the first of the mk2s in BR blue and grey. I realise that they are from two different periods but for the purposes of a heritage line I thought it would be fine. Is this, or was this ever actually possible for a steam era loco to pull newer diesel era stock? Was there not a difference with brakes etc?

Please forgive my ignorance! :D

luckymucklebackit

Re: Rolling stock

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 pm

The first Mk2 coaches were released in 1965 and were vacuum braked so were perfectly compatible with steam locomotives, there are some photographs from 1967-68 with steam locos hauling blue/grey Mk2s. In modern terms we have had "Tornado" hauling Mk3 coaches, but it is air brake fitted.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 pm

The mainline diesel era in the UK started in the mid 50s so it was quite usual to see steam and diesel hauling the same stock. There was a thread on RMWeb of blue/grey coaches being hauled by steam locos so it could have happened.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -modelled/

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Here's a list of BR coaches that have been preserved, Mk2s are just over half way down!

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/preser ... 202013.pdf

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129814-50-years-since-the-end-of-br-steam/page-1

2nd photo down, the first coach behind the Britannia is a Mk2 in blue/Grey.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I've not seen a photo of it but it was feasible to run mk1 and mk2 coaching stock with 1st generation DMUs. The GWR used to marshal a non corridor 3rd between the cars of their two two car sets, and WR tried it out for a short while with a pair of first gen. units. Don't ask what class, I only saw it once from a train going into New Street across the roof tops to the WR line out of Snow Hill.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

8vchris

Postby 8vchris » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:18 pm

excellent result, thanks very much gentlemen. I don't need to buy some new rolling stock now :P

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I've not seen a photo of it but it was feasible to run mk1 and mk2 coaching stock with 1st generation DMUs. The GWR used to marshal a non corridor 3rd between the cars of their two two car sets, and WR tried it out for a short while with a pair of first gen. units. Don't ask what class, I only saw it once from a train going into New Street across the roof tops to the WR line out of Snow Hill.

Full story here Bufferstop - http://www.railcar.co.uk/topic/hawksworth-coaches/

That page would suggest that it was not feasible to run mk1 and mk2 coaching stock with 1st generation DMUs without modification as an intermediate coach, additional vacuum pipe and jumpers were required. It was possible to have a coach as a trailing load, but that was usually a BG, GUV or CCT.

Jim

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 pm

8vchris wrote:I don't need to buy some new rolling stock now :P

Well lets not get carried away :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:16 pm

@ luckymucklebackit
Thanks Jim, I wonder if that was not the first attempt, as the combination I saw, and had been described to me by a couple of other people had a centre coach in maroon! Could it possibly be the coach which had formerly been used between the GWR pair. The first gen multiple unit system was derived from the GWR one and might have required no more than changing the connectors. No one knew anything about it and sightings were few. I suspect it disappeared once a few more trailer cars were available. Compared to the Derby units operating on the MR the WR DMU fleet seemed a very mixed bag, the only thing in their favour, (for me at that time) was that they were fitted with the GWR ATC system which meant they could keep going in the pea soupers we used to get, got me home a few times when almost everything else was at a standstill.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”