Some NRM Xtrkcad threads condensed into one

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Dead Man's Handle

Re: Xtrkcad and vista

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

It's only confusing because DPI is an 'output' type rating (that's probably not the correct term, but what I mean is for printers and screens) and what XTrkCad actually means (when exporting to bitmap) when it says 'DPI' is really pixels per inch.

A 100 x 100 pixel bitmap (or jpeg) that represents one square inch is 100 PPI. A 200 x 200 bitmap that represents the same space is 200 PPI, and hence has more 'detail'. The image exists independently of what it will eventually be outputted (displayed on the screen or printed) at. You can then print at whatever DPI you want, or display on screen at whatever DPI you want (according to screen resolution and zoom control within a program).

There is no need to even think about DPI in this case. Just realise what XTrkCad actually means.
deltatango wrote:How do I import a train to run on the track ?
You've got me there... that's one bit of XTrkCad I've never got working. I'd be interested too if anyone has managed it :)

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Good Question. HAven't done it for so long. It's complicated.

anyway:
  • go to File, Parameter files and browse/load br.xtp - that's the parameter file containing British rail stock
  • Click the Run Trains button (looks like a loco) - The program will say "No Cars are defined for the current scale. Do you want to use the Car inventory dialog?"
  • Click Yes - The Car Inventory Dialog will open
  • Click Add - the Add New XX scale car dialog will open
  • Click New and choose Car Part
  • In Manufacturer enter the name of the manufacturer (Hornby, Bachmann, Grafa, whatever). - This will stay in the drop down list for future reference.
  • Choose the Prototype, Diesel Steam Electric, Freight or Passenger. Then choose the model (the list is not big).
  • Fill in the rest
Do that for all the stock you want to run on the layout plan. You should end up with a list of stock for each manufacturer.
Click the Add button to add them to the Car Inventory and close.
Now when you click the train button you should have your stock on the hot bar list at the top.
You should be able to drag them off the hot bar and onto your layout and then run them using the throttle.
Change Points by clicking on them.
Last edited by Ironduke on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Rob
Dead Man's Handle

Cool thanks for that Ironduke :) I can't seem to make the points change though :(

Ade
My bits and pieces

Raider

Re: Some NRM Xtrkcad threads condensed into one

Post by Raider »

I have merged the Vista thread into the sticky on Xtrkcad.
deltatango

Post by deltatango »

I have got the train on the layout but cannot make it move whatever I do ? cannot change points ?
Dead Man's Handle

deltatango wrote:I have got the train on the layout but cannot make it move whatever I do ? cannot change points ?
You should have a 'Pause/ Resume Trains' icon which should currently be a big red circle. Click that so it turns green and then control the speed of the train using the vertical bar in the 'Train Control' window.

I still haven't worked out point changing though :(

Ade
My bits and pieces

Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Got it! I had to search the help file and it wasn't easy to find.
Shift+ Left Click changes points.
Regards
Rob
deltatango

Post by deltatango »

Still not going, got the green light but says the train is paused, I can change turnouts OK, nearly there.

got it working i was pressing the wrong button :?

Now its stopping on the layout, that must be because the track is not right, out of line etc ?
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

The track must be perfectly alligned, otherwise it doesn't work, you'll probably need to zoom right in to check
Dead Man's Handle

Well it's not just aligned that it needs to be, but actually connected. You should be able to use the 'connect two tracks' tool for this (if you can't, then your tracks aren't aligned within the tolerances set by XTrkCad. You can change the tolerences, but it's better to modify the track so it fits properly).

One method to check without zooming in and scrolling around is to use the 'connect two tracks' tool - select it and go around the layout clicking each track piece (except those with an open end): If the track is connected properly it will say (in the box right at the bottom) 'there are no unconnected endpoints for this track'. If there are unconnected endpoints, then it will either connect them, or say 'the tracks cannot be connected together....' if they aren't properly aligned (see above).

Ade
My bits and pieces

CraigB192

Post by CraigB192 »

It's probably really simple, but how do you change the colour of individual track pieces?
Ironduke

Re: Some NRM Xtrkcad threads condensed into one - colour layers

Post by Ironduke »

well... not really simple but
  • Click "Options" - "Display"
  • Next to "Color Layers" tick "Tracks"
    this draws tracks in the colour of the layer set in "Manage" - "Layers" If all tracks are on layer 1 they'll go blue unless you've changed the layer 1 colour already.
To change tracks already on layer 1 to layer 2,
  • Choose layer 2 in the drop down menu
  • Select the tracks (so they go red)
  • Click "Edit" - "Move to current layer"
Regards
Rob
live-frog

Xtrkcad latest download ?

Post by live-frog »

Hi folks ,had a rest from model railways for a good while (playing silly online obsessive footy games) :D .
I've just started to look again at an extension to my Llandublo layout but I lost most of the contents of my old PC with all the designs and the Xtrkcad software on about a year ago.

Can anyone give me a link to the latest available Xtrkcad download please as I've tried Sillub and their last update was 2005 with version 3.1.4 . I'm convinced I had version 4.something , could be wrong .
Any help much appreciated.

Ron

EDIT : I've now found version 4.0.2 , anyone know if this is the latest ?
pointstaken

Post by pointstaken »

Thanks, Ron - I'm still using 4.0.1, didn't know there was a 4.0.2.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe
traincrazy1

Post by traincrazy1 »

does anyone know where i can get the parameter files for peco HO/OO points, as for some reason they didnt download.
(\__/)
(o.o) (")
|><| / / This is tiny Bunny mk2. Copy him into you
signature [including this text apparently] and help him in his mission of
world domination.