Point extension adaptors

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
hawkmoon269part2

Point extension adaptors

Postby hawkmoon269part2 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:05 pm

Due to the presence of a timber support beneath my baseboard, I am unable to fit a point motor to the underside of the board, and need to fit a surface mounted motor. I have a Gaugemaster GMC-PM20 point motor which would normally attach directly to the point itself, but this now needs to be fitted a short distance away from the point. Can anyone recommend a method of creating an appropriate extension adaptor in order to be able to do this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Mountain

Re: Point extension adaptors

Postby Mountain » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:04 pm

If using Peco or Hornby points, the normal way to do it is via a Peco or a Hornby adapter bases and surface mount the point solenoid.
Peco do small surface point solenoids designed to work by the side of the point. This could be an answer to the problem if using Peco points.
Failing this, the way forward is to make some adapter between your solenoid or motor and your point.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi
As you already have the GM - PM20 motor, then I would use a piece of steel wire or narrow plastic/brass strip to connect between the point motors drive and the points moving tie bars outer end. You will need a means of attaching the strip to the point motors drive bar, here possibly a small bolt and nut would work? The other end for a strip and Peco points means a small hole in the end of the strip and that slips over the "Pip" on the points tie bar. Otherwise a small hole may be needed to be drilled in the points tie bar outer end to allow attachment onto other makes of point or if using a wire. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

hawkmoon269part2

Postby hawkmoon269part2 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:19 am

Mountain wrote:If using Peco or Hornby points, the normal way to do it is via a Peco or a Hornby adapter bases and surface mount the point solenoid.
Peco do small surface point solenoids designed to work by the side of the point. This could be an answer to the problem if using Peco points.
Failing this, the way forward is to make some adapter between your solenoid or motor and your point.

Thanks - I'm assuming that neither the Peco nor Hornby bases would be compatible, so it's what material the adapter could be made from and how best to install it. Am hoping that someone may have resolved this issue previously. Regards.

hawkmoon269part2

Postby hawkmoon269part2 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:22 am

Flashbang wrote:Hi
As you already have the GM - PM20 motor, then I would use a piece of steel wire or narrow plastic/brass strip to connect between the point motors drive and the points moving tie bars outer end. You will need a means of attaching the strip to the point motors drive bar, here possibly a small bolt and nut would work? The other end for a strip and Peco points means a small hole in the end of the strip and that slips over the "Pip" on the points tie bar. Otherwise a small hole may be needed to be drilled in the points tie bar outer end to allow attachment onto other makes of point or if using a wire. :D

Thanks for your suggestions - I'll consider what practical options there are to attach at both ends. Piano wire has been suggested elsewhere, so that may be my first port of call. Regards.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:38 am

hawkmoon269part2 wrote:
Mountain wrote:If using Peco or Hornby points, the normal way to do it is via a Peco or a Hornby adapter bases and surface mount the point solenoid.

Thanks - I'm assuming that neither the Peco nor Hornby bases would be compatible, so it's what material the adapter could be made from and how best to install it. Am hoping that someone may have resolved this issue previously. Regards.

I have had a Peco one before and it is plastic. It is made to be used with the Peco solenoids. It even has a spring so if the point return spring is not working, one can use it instead.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”