New starter Layout 00 Gauge

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Bufferstop

Re: New starter Layout 00 Gauge

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 am

A nice demonstration of crawling, but those drivers would be facing a "trip over the bridge" to explain to the superintendent why they weren't "making reasonable progress".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:00 pm

That Trackmat was the first layout I built, over 20 years ago! It's a fun train set plan but suffers from the usual 6x4/demo layout drawbacks such as short platforms and tight radii. But compared to later trackmats (which are effectively just attempting to advertise as much as the Hornby track and building range as possible) operationally it's not too bad. Trying to run more than a 2-coach train on it looks ridiculous and such a plan is far better sorted to smaller trains, particularly as the inner circuit and part of the long siding use 1st radius curves which a lot of later stuff won't run on. There is space to extend the platforms by one section, bringing them up to the level crossings.

That said, 6x4 or 8x4 plans aren't generally a good option for a layout, contrary to what Hornby would have you believe. Lots of people build this sort thing for their first layout, but very few build a second and there are good reasons why. They are an inefficient use of the space, given that you need access to at least one end and both long sides to be able to reach all of it, which rules out hinging one long side against the wall. Suitably braced underneath, a solid slab of this size is very heavy, unwieldy and generally terrible if you have ideas of moving it out of the way when you're finished. A fixed table dominates the room without actually giving you that much layout area. The origins of this basic design come from the days of putting together a train set on the kitchen table and packing it away again in time for dinner, but for a serious railway they're a poor choice.

Consider instead a design built on narrower shelves around the room. If this isn't possible, a semi-fixed design built into a corner (perhaps with folding or removeable sections to complete a circuit) can also work well. The operator stands in the middle, the majority of the floor area is clear, and the space underneath can be usefully filled with shelves for storage.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm

pete12345 wrote:...That said, 6x4 or 8x4 plans aren't generally a good option for a layout, contrary to what Hornby would have you believe. Lots of people build this sort thing for their first layout, but very few build a second and there are good reasons why...

It's a rite of passage, like your first car. Got to start somewhere. and if the bug really bites then move on to something better. I strongly support the 'operator hole in the middle' format as a winner, if an end to end set up doesn't appeal. Sell off the set track, and start with Peco Streamline or better, to take the step up to superior operation.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”