New starter Layout 00 Gauge

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
myth3_16

New starter Layout 00 Gauge

Postby myth3_16 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi All,

I haven't got a lot of room for a big layout. I've just acquired my Father-in-Law's train collection and I want something that I can run them on. For the time being it's just basically gonna be for running them round and keeping the running until I can find somewhere in my house for a more permanent round the room layout.

I have seen a few YouTube vids that use the Trakmat layout for this purpose and I very much like the look of them.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find the Trakmat in question as I believe it is an old design. Does anyone know if I may be able to find an anyrail plan for this layout (See pic). I'm thinking of changing the design slightly to accommodate 3rd and 4th radius curves. It may already use them but I've been unable to find a track list for this particular Trakmat design.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brett Rogers
Attachments
a-Hornby-00-gauge-Track-Mat-for-a.jpg
a-Hornby-00-gauge-Track-Mat-for-a.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 447 times

Chris57

Re: New starter Layout 00 Gauge

Postby Chris57 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:35 pm

Maybe the Hornby R771 track mat ? Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. :oops: Hope that helps.

R771 B.jpg

HORNBY R771 A.jpg

myth3_16

Postby myth3_16 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Chris57 wrote:Maybe the Hornby R771 track mat ? Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. :oops: Hope that helps.

R771 B.jpg

Hi Chris,

Yes that's the mat. Checked on eBay but can't find one anywhere. Apparently from what I've been reading it was from the very first generation of Trakmat produced by Hornby (probably around the 90's at some point, probably early 90's) so it's over 20 years old now. I just like the design of it. I've no idea of what Track I would need to build this layout without the Trakmat itself.

I guess I'm just gonna keep looking on eBay and keep an eye out for one.

Cheers,

Brett

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 pm

myth3_16 wrote:Does anyone know if I may be able to find an anyrail plan for this layout (See pic). I'm thinking of changing the design slightly to accommodate 3rd and 4th radius curves.

What size can you get away with?
Regards
Rob

myth3_16

Postby myth3_16 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:42 am

Ironduke wrote:
myth3_16 wrote:Does anyone know if I may be able to find an anyrail plan for this layout (See pic). I'm thinking of changing the design slightly to accommodate 3rd and 4th radius curves.

What size can you get away with?

Hi Rob,

I've seen the exact same one in a YouTube video and originally it was 6ft x 4ft but in the video the guy has extended it by 2ft so it's now 8ft x 4ft which is just about what I can fit in my spare room at the moment.

I'm assuming that as it was the first generation of Trakmats produced the radii used was 1st, 2nd and 3rd radius. Not sure if there is enough room on an 8ft x 4ft to adapt it for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Leaving off the 1st radius.

Cheers,

Brett

Chris57

Postby Chris57 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Just another photo:

HORNBY R771 C0.jpg

And a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfqWCWG9USc
Last edited by Chris57 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myth3_16

Postby myth3_16 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi All,

Here's the interpretation I got from the YouTube video I saw. 8ft x 4ft in size. Yes it's a roundy round sort of thing but for now this is all I'm looking for, just something I can use to keep my FIL trains running. Still using radii 1, 2 and 3.

I tried adapting it for 2, 3 and 4 however it didn't look right to me and I lost the siding on the right hand side. So this plan is best for me.

The roads in the middle will be used for a double engine shed and goods shed. The top of the layout will be used for the platform area. Most of the buildings will be metcalfe as these will also be in my possession too from my FIL as will all the track.

Thanks everyone, kindest Regards,

Brett
Attachments
Hornby Trakmat R771 ORIGINAL (8x4).jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:01 pm

I would not worry too much about using 1st radius curves on such a design because you already have 2nd and 3rd radius loops of track to run the locos and stock that don't run on 1st radius, so the innermost track will be used with your stock that will run on it.
So as long as you have something that runs on the first radius curves, which is about a third of modern locos and half the rolling stock, and nearly all of the older locos and rolling stock, so I do not see it as a problem as you have the best of both worlds.

Going with the design you have chosen, the one real aspect that I would avoid is using curved points. I, along with other modellers never have had much success using them, as if anything will come off the track it is usually on curved points.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:29 am

I'd consider moving the set of points (in red) over to the right (in blue) so rolling stock moving out of the engine shed sidings can enter / exit from / to the 2nd outer loop without having to go all the way around the innermost loop.

tp myth.jpg

Also, instead of using curved points you could add straight points at the top/back of the layout to do the same thing
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

myth3_16

Postby myth3_16 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 am

End2end wrote:I'd consider moving the set of points (in red) over to the right (in blue) so rolling stock moving out of the engine shed sidings can enter / exit from / to the 2nd outer loop without having to go all the way around the innermost loop.

tp myth.jpg
Also, instead of using curved points you could add straight points at the top/back of the layout to do the same thing
Thanks
End2end

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can move the set of points in the red position to the blue position.

The space in between the outer line at the top and the second line at the top will be filled with a long platform. The other platform will be just under the inner track at the top of the layout. So would be tricky to put some straight points there. But I do see where you're coming from.

Regards,

Brett

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:14 am

Though I would consider a headshunt and other safety features, just by altering your plans a little bit so as to avoid curved points and also make the lines a bit easier to use, how about something like this? (Sorry. I do not know how to get the train track software. I would love to use it and know how!)
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-03-29-01-13-03-1.png

myth3_16

Postby myth3_16 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 am

Mountain wrote:Though I would consider a headshunt and other safety features, just by altering your plans a little bit so as to avoid curved points and also make the lines a bit easier to use, how about something like this? (Sorry. I do not know how to get the train track software. I would love to use it and know how!)

Hi,

Yeah that would work! I like it. The software is AnyRail. You can download it for free and use it but you're limited to just 50 pieces I believe. If you want more you pay a one off fee.

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Brett

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks. I am downloading it but I do not know if it will work as it says it is for windows, and I do not know what system this tablet works on. I will see if it works when it finishes downloading. It is taking a while so far...

Ammended. It says "Can't open file". It was worth a try.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:40 am

Just mentally playing trains on Mountain's layout version, (I hope you don't mind the edits Mountain ;) ) there is one other thing I've noticed.
No opposing points.
Inner loop to 2nd ok and 2nd loop to outer loop ok but no way, unless you reverse, to go from outermost loop to inner loop.
I wonder if an opposing pair of points could fit at the bottom? (in red)

Also on the right hand side of the layout (in blue), I wonder if you could use 2 straight points instead of a curved point and, by placing the bottom point to the left slightly you might be able to have a longer run around loop? :)
Although this would need double checking with the software and maybe require a piece of flexi-track?

myth lp.png

Apologies for the rough picture. Freehand on a pc was never my strong suit. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Chris57

Postby Chris57 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:02 am

Return to “Track/Layout Design”