my layout and will my locos run

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
LukeTrainsPlanes

my layout and will my locos run

Postby LukeTrainsPlanes » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 am

Hi first time here and reasonably new to the hobby.
But about me/ my plan for layout etc
For xmas i gotthe hornby intericty high speed set also known as the blue rapier. Was purchased from aldi or lidl i believe.
i know its not the best set and wont run it that much will probably just stick in the sidings yard or something.

I have 3 class 43 locos and some carriages will be around 3 or 4 per set.
My layout came with the midi mat and although im not using that I have im basing my lay out partially on it (the outer loop and inner loop and the dead end bit into the station)
I have a 6x4 ft baseboard as this was all I could do with space and more importantly all I could get away with without being divorced before we even get married :lol: it fits under our bed and after a day of moving and shuffling in the room i have space to run it and get some space from the better half :) . Have used ballast mat as its convenient and easier for what i need. so have cut that around the track layout of the mat to size.

Im yet to purchase the inner circle etc (currently fishing around ebay etc to source it all cheaper than online shops)

My Q is will class 43s run on radius 1 curves ? I believe that the track needed uses a couple of them. on testing with just the outer loop that came with the set (track pack A ) it ran ok and class 43 ran with 1 coach all ok.
Sorry for the long yarn and waffle on, your help is appreciated

cheers
luke

Dad-1

Re: my layout and will my locos run

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 am

Hi LukeTrainsPlanes,

I don't have a HST so can't confirm.
All I can add is that it may have more difficulty on the points, but as you have
it just try. Many locomotives that are shown as Minimum 2nd radius will run O.K,
although they look a little odd on such tight turns.

As to layout designs and available space that's a never ending conundrum. It's
never big enough until one day you realise that it's become too big !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

LukeTrainsPlanes

Re: my layout and will my locos run

Postby LukeTrainsPlanes » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 am

cheers for the reply. on looking at the extension pack contents/ what track is needed it seems only pack D uses radius 1 double curve
Contents:-

1x R8072 L/H Standard Point
3x R605 Double Curve 1st Radius 371mm 45'
1x R608 Single Curve 3rd Radius 505mm Arc 22.5'
1x R636 Double Track Level Crossing 168mm
1x R083 Buffer Stop

Ill be buying all track individually as its cheaper looking on hattons plus have some extra bits etc.

Pack D goes into the termination station/ platform so id assume it will be ok as wont be running fast anyway...

Plan is one day when we move to build a shed for my train stuff. Its a plan that may happen :lol:

Return to “Track/Layout Design”