Peco code 100 large right hand curved point

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
gwrsr00

Peco code 100 large right hand curved point

Postby gwrsr00 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Any advice appreciated. I have a China Hornby Brittania (Flying Dutchman) Tender driven. The front bogie derails when taking the right hand exit of the point. It appears not to like the check rail and the leading bogie wheel lifts. I have no problem with any other loco.

Mike Parkes

Re: Peco code 100 large right hand curved point

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Sounds like the back to back (the distance between the insides of the wheels on one axle) is wrong. You can get back to back gauges - you need a OO 14.5mm one such as this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Concepts-DCG-BB145-OO-Gauge-Back-to-Back-Gauge-14-5mm/133634790613

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Check the following.. Point is dead flat throughout its length, then check the locos Back to Back wheel distance. The Double O Gauge Association B 2 B gauge and their "Intermediate Standard" wheel spacing gauge is ideal to use. http://www.doubleogauge.com/shop.htm Far less then others offered for sale!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:53 pm

I'll echo Flashbang's comment on making sure that the point is dead flat. Lay a flat edge across it at various angles. You may find that the place where it needs to be held down is in the vicinity of the frog. In which case it will need a really thin pin. I use the Peco track pins creating a hole for them by pressing them down with a hot soldering iron, before pushing them into the base using fine tip pliers. Points not lying flat is down to the production method and Peco say it would be uneconomic to change the method to eliminate it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Track/Layout Design”