New lockdown layout, 190 x 120 cm

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kebang

New lockdown layout, 190 x 120 cm

Post by kebang »

Here in the Philippines we have been subject to stringent lockdown conditions, particularly if you are over 65. My wife & I are renting a bungalow in a sparsely populated rural area. My large loft layout in Tagbilaran City is inaccessible so I've decided to build a smaller layout in the garage here. (Just hoping Hattons stock level for peco track improves and they can fill my trunk & dispatch the order)

This is the plan I've come up with. My rolling stock will be 0-4-0 & 0-6-0 tank locos together with 4 wheeled coaches. Also some 4 wheeled goods vans & open wagons so I've been able to use 1st rad curves to keep the layout size down to 190 x 120 cm (75 x 47.3 in)

Please take a look at my design, any comments and suggestions for improvements are welcome!
DEFINITE LAYA 190 x120 WIP.png
The slope gradient from the station to the upper level is less than 3% (according to anyrail)
kebang

Re: New lockdown layout, 190 x 120 cm

Post by kebang »

Sorry, this should have been posted in 'Personal Layouts - Planning'. Perhaps a Mod could move it for me?
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

As always, time to mention that a central table is generally a poor use of space. You need access to both long sides and one end, so it requires a large footprint for the size of layout. A central hole helps, but a layout built on a series of narrower shelves around the wall is usually more efficient in terms of space. The centre of the room is clear, and the space under the layout can be used for storage. If the table layout is intended to be portable, a single sheet like this is unwieldy and very heavy when sufficiently braced. Collapsible legs and a pulley system to raise it up to the ceiling is probably better.

That said, it's not a bad plan for a 6x4. You have a reasonable terminus station for short trains (small locos and 4-wheel coaches are the way to go) and and out-and-back with a continuous run in between. A second station could be located on the inside of the green reverse loop if you wanted, and it gives a reason to stop and reverse the track polarity here.

This sort of layout lends itself well to modelling a 'light railway'- smaller independent lines which often used second-hand older stock. You'd have scope to invent your own company and livery, which is done a lot more frequently in narrow gauge modelling but rare in standard gauge.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Clever use of the return loop.
Nessie rocks!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I like it. It is a good design as it gives both continous run and end to end running all in one. The reverse loop will need a switch to change polarity which one will be changing points at the same time, so it is hardly going to be a problem to remember to throw it. Just mount the polarity switch next to the point control levers or switches (Whatever method of point control you happen to use) so you will change them all at the same time as if they were one unit.
Yes. It is great.
kebang

Post by kebang »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I was aiming at an 'out & back', together with a loop and rev loop, so my train(s) appears to go somewhere then return. At the terminus the tank loco(s) can then do a runaround & the train will be ready to depart again.
The theme will be 4 wheeled coaches plus a few 4 wheeled coaches & vans. Very much a light railway in the theme of the 'Titfield Thunderbolt'.
Here's a simpler version with no gradients, the theme is the same though.
191x120 Simple Laya.png
Altho 3 stations are shown this might be a bit of an overkill!
As previously suggested a station on the revloop is useful as a justification for stopping the train whilst throwing the DPDT switch