New Layout Plan - any advice?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Andy1234

New Layout Plan - any advice?

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi everyone!! As I will still be working from home for the foreseeable, I have decided to build a "lockdown layout". I have experimented with n gauge layouts before and have recently tried an inglenook, however this had a few issues. I've found an old setrack plan (plan 10) and have changed this a bit to fit an inglenook within it. Idea is to have a train continuously looping around (with the ability to hold another in the loop and swap these whenever), and another working the yard inglenook style. Layout electronics have recently started to interest me so I wish to use point motors. All track will be code 80 setrack, apart from the straights which will be code 80 streamline Flexi track cut to length. The little siding at the bottom will have an engine shed on, and the point without anything attached to the one exit will just be to a long siding for holding another train/spare stock. I am also in the process at looking to extend the layout slightly so the loop is long enough to hold a 2-6-2 and three 57ft suburban coaches, although this is not essential.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on things to change? Or positioning of isolation sections to make some of the operation more interesting and automated (for instance, in the run around loop).

Thanks in advance guys!!

Andy1234

Re: New Layout Plan - any advice?

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:26 pm

This is the setrack plan it is based off
Attachments
AnyRail Forum Setrack Problem 1.jpg

Andy1234

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Sorry for the poor quality!

Also, any help on where to add track feeds would be appreciated. Initially it will be single controller operated so I can use a SPDT switch to switch between main line section and the inglenook, but anything else is appreciated!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200522-143254-01.jpeg

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm

I assume the inside loop is radius 1, so you are going to be restricted to smaller locos and stock. but as there's now a good choice of little beasties, it could be fun to operate.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Andy1234

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Aye the inside is first radius. The locos and stock I have are all fairly old so they can handle first radius. Should be a fun little layout to run I guess!

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Andy1234 wrote:Sorry for the poor quality!

If that's XtrkCad you can get a picture by clicking File > Export to bitmap. This saves the file as a bmp format which you then have to convert to jpg or png using software such as irfanview or some online conversion tool. See? Easy! :?
Regards
Rob

Andy1234

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:12 am

Right final plan is done!! Hoping it gives me enough operating potential to keep it interesting, and planning on picking up the wood and making the baseboards this weekend.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200529-090729.png

Return to “Track/Layout Design”