Replacement springs/control for peco points

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
pete12345

Replacement springs/control for peco points

Postby pete12345 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm

I need to sort out point control before I can proceed any further. Some of my peco points are missing their tiebar spring, which of course hinders my old go-to method of PL-10 motors directly under the track. I've tried contacting peco about spare parts but got no response :roll:

So, how to switch these points? If I can source some springs, peco motors are the simplest solution. Some form of pushrod arrangement under the board or wire in tube would work nicely, except for the need to have a means of holding the points at the end of their throw, which comes back to the springs again. I remember experimenting with 'memory wire' about 15 years ago which seems ideal if it can be made to work, but that seems to have disappeared from existence. :(
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Mountain

Re: Replacement springs/control for peco points

Postby Mountain » Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Peco used to sell (I think they still do) an adaptor base thing which was used for surface mounting Peco point solenoids before the smaller surface solenoids were made. This adaptor had the same spring in it as was used with Peco points so it was a perfect solution to use an old point behind the scenes (As the point solenoid was visible).

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Peco will supply the springs, but are currently closed as an inessential industry. I expect they will reopen fairly soon, given the current easing of lockdown and their export market, because in economic terms every little helps.

Alternatives, a push rod actuated by a small lever or slide switch which self locks - an omega spring at the tiebar means that provided the rod travel is greater than the tiebar movement the match need not be exact. And then there are the slow motion self latching motors, Conrad, Fulgurex, Tortoise, Cobalt for example. Kinder to your points and your ears than the happy whack! of solenoids...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Pete, Try Peco again in a week or so. According to the editorial in the Railway Modeller they haven't been able to go into the offices these past few weeks, but there was a comment on line that they were restarting operations, and a couple of retailers report getting delivery of orders placed just as they went into lockdown.
In the past when you enquired about these springs a little snap closure bag of them would arrive in the post. I think someone used to walk down the factory and scoop a few out of the machine that bends them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Track/Layout Design”