Cork and track laying OO gauge.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
OzzyOzborne

Cork and track laying OO gauge.

Postby OzzyOzborne » Sat May 09, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi

I just need some advice regarding a cork base I want to put under my track and raise the bed before applying ballast.

Do I need to glue the cork to the base or will pinning the track hold it? I’m not planning on having the whole board laid with cork just the track bed.
Also any tips on cutting the cork to the correct width on single and double tracks to get the correct dimensions and to scale?
I’m using PECO setback and flexi.

All help appreciated!

Mike

pete12345

Re: Cork and track laying OO gauge.

Postby pete12345 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 pm

I've always laid track directly on the baseboard. With peco track, the sleepers are thicker than scale anyway so it works out about right with no underlay, except perhaps for a modern high-speed line. Once you've glued the track and ballast down, the whole lot is set solid so any sound-deadening effect will be lessened. So a lot of extra work for not a lot of gain!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Funny, I'm also one of those who doesn't like cork underlays 'UNLESS' …..
The unless is if you decide to use C&L, or Marcway track with their very thin sleepers.
For most lines the Peco sleeper depth gives you a decent ballast shoulder. As to sound
deadening when ballasted it's all glued down & becomes a rather solid block and cancels
out the supposed sound deadening effect.

Yep Pete12345 we're on the same page !!

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

OzzyOzborne

Postby OzzyOzborne » Sun May 10, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for replies......it helps

I wasn’t putting cork down as a noise reduction just to raise the track for the ballast.......I didnt appreciate that the PECO sleepers were high enough anyway!
Solved......who wants to buy some cork!!!

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am

Don't forget that if you raise the track by whatever the thickness of the material is used - cork, foam etc then all items abutting the track will need raising by the same amount too. Platforms, good sheds where stock is shunted inside and engine sheds all are the first things that need raising and can look strange. Then Tunnel portals and over bridges may also need lifting, but these quite frequently have more clearance overhead.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:48 pm

I think it's one of those things which is perpetuated by layouts in the press where it's been done, and people copy it and assume that's how track should look. But in scale terms it's far too high, and as already said, means you have to raise everything else too.
Particularly bad is the foam underlay that is/was pushed by hornby and peco. This looks nothing like real ballast, raises the track by about a scale foot and makes it far more difficult to get the track level.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 pm

This looks nothing like real ballast, raises the track by about a scale foot and makes it far more difficult to get the track level.

and over time degrades into the plastic equivalent of sawdust!
If you make a baseboard out of rigid insulation blocks, a layer of cork or just strips of artist mounting board gives track pins a bit more purchase, similarly if you use poly foam blocks as supports for an incline.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 11, 2020 12:19 pm

pete12345 wrote:I think it's one of those things which is perpetuated by layouts in the press where it's been done, and people copy it and assume that's how track should look. But in scale terms it's far too high, and as already said, means you have to raise everything else too...

It was 'the way' when finescale OO meant handmade track, rails soldered to thin 'copperclad' sheet sleepers: you needed something under the sleepers to provide the vertical relief for the ballast shoulders to the cess, and thin cork sheet was the available material. Handily, it could be readily sanded to provide very smooth transitions on and off gradients, and if board joints had slight steps despite the painstaking work with dowels for alignment. All very helpful getting the trains to stay on the track with flanges profiled to whatever depth the local custom required. (Some of us loonies were already turning OO 'Romford' wheel flanges down to 0.7mm depth to make sure that the wheels cleared under all metal bodies, to reduce the chance of short circuits.)

Return to “Track/Layout Design”