Figure eight layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Chilly

Figure eight layout

Post by Chilly »

Hi I am looking to build an squashed figure of 8 layout with an up and down track.

My idea is that on say the left hand side of the loop the outside loop becomes the inside loop on the right hand side and vice versa, my question is this possible using diamond crossovers for both up and down lines to avoid having to use a bridge?

The layout will be DC if possible.

Thanks Chilly
Bufferstop

Re: Figure eight layout

Post by Bufferstop »

Diamond crossovers are OK as long as you have a bit of straight track either side. Coming onto them from a sharp curve isn't a good idea.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Hi thanks for the reply.

My thinking was that I didn't want to have a two track bridge going over the two tracks underneath to get me to a squashed figure 8.

I was thinking of using Peco 75 flexi track all the way round so having a gently curving straight going into all the diamond crossings length likely to be 14ft and max width 4-5ft at ends going down to 2-3ft in middle ( kind of stretched egg timer shape which crosses over to create figure 8). I am assuming that Peco 75 electrofrogs will work I will try and sketch it out so it makes sense. I am sure that I will need a lot of help with the electric aspects !

Chilly
Sjay

Post by Sjay »

Are you talking about a folded figure of 8? (you basically folding the top of the 8 back on itself)

If so then below is a single line 8x4 Hornby plan? In a Peco code 75 14x6 should be plenty of time. Note: there is no crossovers used here.

ta
Attachments
e415c692c760d2938253530edd16e016.jpg
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Chilly wrote:Hi I am looking to build an squashed figure of 8 layout with an up and down track.

My idea is that on say the left hand side of the loop the outside loop becomes the inside loop on the right hand side and vice versa, my question is this possible using diamond crossovers for both up and down lines to avoid having to use a bridge?...
What's the purpose of this? With an up and down line crossing each other every half circuit, a train moving on each of the up and down lines will be conflicting with each other very frequently. Your choice to make, but I am curious about what's intended.
Mannick

Post by Mannick »

A few ideas:

loop8_zps1idwsmbj.jpg
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

By ‘Up and Down’ track I presumed the OP meant twin tracks with flat double diamond crossovers, rather than a bridged cross over as would normally be used with a folded eight.
Rightly or wrongly I also presumed his 8 would be L shaped not folded back in toto as drawn above.
I don’t have the ability to draw that up at present as an example for confirmation but I am sure that is what was meant.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester