Feedback on my layout please?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Woody1969

Feedback on my layout please?

Postby Woody1969 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:20 pm

All,

So i have designed a layout based on the boards i have installed and i think i have come up with hopefully a fairly decent layout for my son.

As you can see the fiddle yards / turntable (He wants a turntable!) are on left hand end where he will sit.

This will be DCC BUT i may have signal levers (like Cobalt levers) for the bottom fiddle yard and have stud and probe for the other (thoughts)

So layout wise the trains can go round the loops on the right side of board happily with slow / fast passes etc.

thoughts VERY welcome (I didnt want to put in reverse loops etc. as that sounds very complicated and i have noticed that the top siding element cant come out to the clockwise line easily)
Loft v2.jpg

End2end

Re: Feedback on my layout please?

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Wow that's large. :shock:
Only one comment from me. The upper station looks a bit too close to it's neighbour station on it's left. Can this whole upper station track arrangement be moved more to the right to give more space between the stations?
Don't forget the length of your proposed stopping trains need to have the same minimum length platforms at each station.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Woody1969

Postby Woody1969 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:19 pm

good point. i will move further down and extend the passing loops.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Ahh I just noticed something else.
The bottom dead end sidings (right of the lower station) if extended could also double up as a DCC programming track if your controller can utilise it. :idea:
The siding would be best if it was longer than your longest loco, which could mean longer then a tender-ed steam loco.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01 pm

I would add a trailing crossover between the two main running lines of the upper station just to the right of the existing crossover where the platform loop starts, also the single platform on the far right hand side looks out of place, it probably would be better against the loop you have there. Have you tried running the layout "in your head", does each movement of stock go what you expect? Looks very passenger train oriented (says the man who hardly ever ran a goods train :D ), might be worthwhile trying to fit in a small inglenook goods yard.

I take it you will sit in the main operating well?

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Woody1969

Postby Woody1969 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:05 pm

so my son will be sat in the left hand side area (where the image of operator is). I will add a trailing crossover so he can then come out of upper sidings. It is passenger operated as he likes that for some reason.

I have no idea where i am going to put a programming track as i thought they were just a straight on its own basically not connected to the main layout?

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Woody1969 wrote:I have no idea where i am going to put a programming track as i thought they were just a straight on its own basically not connected to the main layout?

It can be or you can use a switch to change a siding from full DCC track power to lower programming track power.
That's why I mentioned the dead end straights. It can be BOTH but only 1 at a time.

Drive loco into siding (full power), switch the switch (into programming mode - lower voltage), programme the DCC loco, switch the switch back to full DCC power and drive back out of the siding.
Something like that anyway.

I've just laid my programming track today and isolated it by simply cutting the tracks but I need to work out the simple electronics for it. It should be just a simple switch from one input to the other but I need to work out the wiring and what type of switch.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:02 pm

That is the largest layout built entirely of set-track that I have ever seen.

I haven't even tried to count them, but the cost of hundreds of pieces of set-track will soon mount up quite alarmingly. Even if you don't wish to get into cutting and bending it, it must be worth considering flexi-track for those long straights. It comes in lengths of a yard at a time, and will work out much cheaper than all those set-track straights.

This may be of no. or little, concern to you, but bear in mind that every rail joint is potentially a source of electrical problems. By using flexi-track and cutting out dozens of joints you'd get more reliable running.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Sjay

Postby Sjay » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:56 am

What space do you have? It seem a real waste of an opportunity.

So a couple of points
1. Your stations are very short 3-4 coaches maximum and your fiddle yard is very small. you are limiting yourself to very small trains
2. As someone else said you flexi-track for the long runs so much cheaper than set track and given the space you can introduce gentle cures instead of lots of straight track
3. It's very trainset like the trains go round and round. I would suggest a station on one wall and a fiddle yard on the other with a high-level station at one end.
4. At the bottom right the mainline carries goes over the curved section of a Hornby point. This is a very bad idea and will lead to derailments.

what is the size you have?

HOWEVER

This for you and your son to enjoy together. On the plus side if you use set track and providing the boards are nice and level, don't tac it down, and assume it is semi-perminant. If I know anything about kids after 5 mins of playing they will want to change it up and set track will allow you to do this.

:) ta

Return to “Track/Layout Design”