Layout Help Please

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
daleks04

Layout Help Please

Postby daleks04 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I have an area just less than a 6x4ft space which I am looking to make a layout on. Saw this at the Hornby stand a few years ago and wanted to know your thoughts on it?

1. Any way this could be improved/modified to make the fiddle-yard more accessible?

2. Also there are 2 switches on the board - I believe these are isolating to the track sidings would power up/down when the engines are switching lines?

Any help on how these would be wired to a HM2000 or ant modifications that may be possible in the limited space available would be great!

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
DlSv-duVsAA49_b.jpeg
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...

Dublo

Re: Layout Help Please

Postby Dublo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello daleks
At first sight this looks really interesting, but I think you would actually struggle to use the sidings as the headshunt does not look very long particularly if you use a tender engine or a mainline diesel. Ultimately I think you will get frustrated with it.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:41 pm

I'd agree with Dublo. Those right hand sidings, especially the one coming off the oval itself is barely long enough for a coach without a loco.
How you'd move a coach AND loco into to left hand sidings from the right, only Hornby's mystery magic knows. :lol:
As for DC, I can only baulk at imagining the wiring. :shock:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

daleks04

Postby daleks04 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

That was my initial thought too! Perhaps it could work on a longer layout with a longer head-shunt as you say...But it's got an interesting part to the rest of the sidings.

Therefore wondering if it's possible to adapt in any way?
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Personally I think that the arrangement of the sidings although they look good are totally unuseable. If you wanted to get a wagon from the goods shed there would be a lot of zig - zagging to the mainline. You would also have to use one of the lower left sidings as another head shunt.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

It is rather telling that Hornby arent even displaying any stock in the centre.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:04 pm

My personal preference would be to keep things simple, and have a single loop staggered, but this may not address your layouts needs...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:22 pm

It's always a problem getting something useful into that space in the middle, made even harder by the Settrack geometry. If you use flexi track in the centre you could take a headshunt from where it leaves the inside loop more or less straight towards the point where the DMU is standing. Then take some curved kickback sidings from somewhere close to the centre line. A short Streamline point would be better as the angle of the headshunt would be about right. If you wanted to retain Settrack in the loops you need a short piece of flexi to match the point into the straights in the inner loop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:02 am

Looking at it I suspect it's been designed as a locomotive stabling point/loco shed in the middle. Most people have more locos than stock and therefore the priority is for somewhere to store all those locos when not in use. Although it's a faff to get them out it does maximise storage and you can see your engines even though it's not in any way realistic!

With only 6x4 you'll not get much in in OO scale, TBH you are better off considering N. CJ Freezer did a couple of plans for 6x4 which fitted more in using multi levels but they aren't for beginners and had some limitations such as 12" curves. He also did branch line layouts where train length was much shorter using 4 and 6 wheel coaches. If you want to model main line then forget 6x4 in OO scale.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 am

Tough advice to follow without upsetting the one who gave you the Flying Scotsman or Eurostar train pack.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 am

Hornby demo layouts like this are mostly little more than advertising material for their products. The only thought was given to putting something resembling a goods yard to show off scenic parts, plus two ovals so trains can be left running and draw attention. When it comes to actually operating them, usually they come up well short, such as the badly laid-out sidings in the middle in this case. Lots of people build something similar as a first layout, but very few build a second.

If you're contemplating a 6x4 board, you need a space of at least 8x8 to allow for access to both long sides and one end (unless you have 4' long arms!) Flip this space inside out and build a layout on shelves around the edges, with the operator in the middle. You get a lot more layout in the same space and can have something resembling a decent run rather than the train chasing its own tail.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am

Its not that bad. I have seen some lovely layouts in 6x4. The main difficulty is not to be tempted to cram too much in.
I say this because I would much rather a 6x4 then a 1x12. For me, just setting a train in motion without the need to stop it at the end of the track is luxury. Yes. I know. In DC I can use a diode... But even then, while running round a train can be interesting, to do it nearly every time is a bit of a pain. I once had a layout with track everywhere which was in effect an end to end (If unravelled) and it took about 45 seconds to go from one end to the other at higher speeds. But even then, the number of times the train would reach the terminus before I was ready! :mrgreen: And even with a trundle at about a minute and a half (I could not go too slow due to an uphill gradient as trains needed some speed to go round the curve and then hit the steeper gradient on the straight), it seemed like a very short space of time before it was "All hands on deck!"
No, give me a loop line any day as I can be as lazy as I like! Just set the trains to go and relax!!!
Last edited by Mountain on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am

Bufferstop wrote:Tough advice to follow without upsetting the one who gave you the Flying Scotsman or Eurostar train pack.

True! If you started with one of those 0-4-0T sets though... ;)

Mountain wrote:I have seen some lovely layouts in 6x4. The main difficulty is not to be tempted to cram too much in.

The point I was making is that mainline stuff doesn't really suit it... If you can add the extra 2ft and make it 8x4 it is much better! Your second point is key, though, unfortunately the trackplan books issued by the likes of Hornby don't do "uncluttered"!!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

Bufferstop wrote:
Mountain wrote:I have seen some lovely layouts in 6x4. The main difficulty is not to be tempted to cram too much in.

The point I was making is that mainline stuff doesn't really suit it... If you can add the extra 2ft and make it 8x4 it is much better! Your second point is key, though, unfortunately the trackplan books issued by the likes of Hornby don't do "uncluttered"!!

Exactly. If 6 or 8x4 it must be, the key is short trains and uncluttered trackwork. I remember a 6x4 dockside to quarry plan a while back which was a good example- small engines shuffling wagons about, lots of shunting in the dockside area, plus a hidden link line which would turn it from a spiralling end-to-end into a continuous run.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

heda

Postby heda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm

I you can stretch to an extra couple of inches my current layout is 78” x 34”, I've got a singlr loop and some sidings with a passing loop at the back. I'm intending to fit an SA4 from Heathcote Electronics so that trains will run alternatly in opposite directions around the loop while I shunt wagons in the sidings.So good playability without overloading the board with track.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54170&start=90

It might be a better starting point for you, draw up a rough plan and post it on the track/layout design forum, the more experienced members will come up with something.
Dave

Return to “Track/Layout Design”