Track Underlay

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
vangogh

Track Underlay

Postby vangogh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:16 pm

As my layout was purchased as an unfinished project, I have inherited the elevated section using Gaugemaster underlay. The track at this point is very undulating and can and does derail the locos. Short of pinning it down every inch or so, I am considering taking the whole lot up and re-laying the track direct on to the base board.
Has anybody had this problem? Has the track been laid, (pinned down) too tightly?

MickleoverTestTrack

Re: Track Underlay

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:41 am

It would seem likely that the track may have been pinned down too hard. Doing so causes the track to bend in the middle so the distance between the rails alters. If someone has done this, check any track you re-use as it may not return to flat when you unpin it.

Underlay is a compromise, it is only worthwhile for sound deadening in my opinion. If your layout is in a bedroom or loft and running it directly on the baseboard would cause a noise disturbance to others then it might be essential. I sometimes get tinnitus caused by congestion that causes noises like trains running directly on ply to echo in my head and make it worse so I use the Woodland Scenics trackbed which I quite like. If noise isn't an issue then probably best removing it and laying the track directly on the baseboard.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”