Best Track for Semi-permanent OO DCC layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Sjay

Best Track for Semi-permanent OO DCC layout

Postby Sjay » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best track to use on a semi-permanent layout. The track would be on laminate flooring, but would be frequently dismantled.

HO/OO version of Kato Unitrack would be ideal, but the Kato HO range seems rather limited.

It has to be OO and DCC as that is what my stock is, mostly Bachmann and Newer Hornby. Any suggestions? I'm happy for the track plan to be quite toy like.

Thanks in advance.

Mountain

Re: Best Track for Semi-permanent OO DCC layout

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

If it is to be regularly assembled and dissasembled, ordinary sectional track like Hornby, Bachmann or Peco Settrack will do fine. Buy spare railjoiners.
If you use a baseboard, just paint where the track goes grey. Job done.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 pm

My advice is to avoid anything that has to be frequently dismantled, any type of Settrack will work initially, but frequent assembly and dismantling will slacken off the rail joiners and you also have to think about a reliable power supply to the track, especially for DCC. Get a small board that will fit with your space available and fix the track down.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:45 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:My advice is to avoid anything that has to be frequently dismantled, any type of Settrack will work initially, but frequent assembly and dismantling will slacken off the rail joiners

Kato Unitrack is specifically designed to be used in this way. The joiners in particular are large pieces of spring steel.Image

Their N scale range is much bigger than the HO range though. I guess N scale is more popular in Japan.
Regards
Rob

Return to “Track/Layout Design”