New layout - Staffordshire

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Stokestation12

New layout - Staffordshire

Postby Stokestation12 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 pm

So, I am venturing again I to the world of model railway building. I'm a 28 year old from North Staffordshire and I have had an interest in trains from as long as I can remember.
I remember my grandad having a large loft layout that ran 2 Blue Intercity HST's among other things. I also had a layout when I was little, although it was a basic loop on a board. I did expand on this when I was around 12, which was the time my grandad got me a hornby class 90 in railfreight livery.
When I was in uni, I went through a 3 year period of quite bad, introvert depression. During this time, I self remedied by spending my student loans on various things; one of which was on a load of 00 gauge locos from ebay. Once I got my degree, I started working a few years later landed my dream job. I got a house, got married and a few other "life things" happened, leading me to today.
A few weeks ago I was going through some old YouTube subscriptions; one of which was Intercity82. A few videos later, I was back on ebay, browsing. A few days later I recovered my collection from my parents loft. Today I have been cleaning and testing the locos, which too my surprise has been surprisingly successful. This leads me to this thread. I wanted to document my journey back into oo gauge modelling. I now have the space that I didnt as a child/teen and I have already acquired the locos and stock in my late teens. All I need to do now is imagine and plan.
Phase 1 - Planning era and rough layout
So I already know that I want to do a 1990's layout. I remember watching trains with grandparents; seeing swallow livery Intercitys and Regional railway sprinters.
My layout location will be a fictitious station that will be based somewhere between Stoke station and the Staffordshire Moorlands.
I was hoping to have enough lines to incorporate a Swallow intercity HST, my Grandads Blue Intercity HST, a class 47 (I think) swallow livery intercity with a DVT at the rear and my Class 90 pulling a rake of railfreight stock. I was also going to I corporate a small terminus, most likely attached to the main station and most likely coming off the most inner loop. This will e where I can put my sprinters. I'm not too interested in making all of the lines connect via points as I wont be doing much switching over. There will also be a loco shed on the outer loop for me to store my surplus locos that I dont want to sell. This will bring me to 4 line, plus the inner terminus.
At the moment, I am without a computer so I cant do any track plans. The best I can do is sketch on a pad. I am open to any suggestions re layout, designs etc
In terms of space; I havent measured up the exact area but my loft ins around 80% unused. I reckon I can have a good 12 foot in length, the width however is harder to judge due to the loft beams. I'd say I have at least 4 to 6 feet for width.
So I hope this post is interesting to some, will add some pictures soon of track ideas, locks and stock and possibly loft space.
As always, feedback is always welcome.
I look forward to hearing from you all.

Stokestation12

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: New layout - Staffordshire

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:45 am

Well it's well out of era for my taste but should I hold out any hope of some nice North Staffordshire Railway architecture making an appearance at some point? :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 am

Hi Stokestation. There's nothing wrong with planning on paper, that's how it was done for years. I used to sit for hours drawing out plans for layouts that I would never have the space or money for, just for the fun of it! Good luck with your layout, I look forward to seeing your progress.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 am

+1 for paper and pencils, however, beware the sketch that does not truly reflect track geometry, it is easy to think that more can be fitted in than in reality. It is worthwhile getting a good scale rule, set of compasses and protractor. Always overestimate track dimensions and underestimate your available space. If you are using set-track, this diagram is a good source of information. https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-track-planner

Best of luck with your project.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Stokestation12

Postby Stokestation12 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:23 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Well it's well out of era for my taste but should I hold out any hope of some nice North Staffordshire Railway architecture making an appearance at some point? :)

It's entirely possible! I dont have any specific buildings in mind at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks all for the interest so far.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. If along with the locos you kept some track there's something you should do. Get a small magnet (fridge magnet will do) and test the rails, if it sticks to the rails they are plated steel. It's no longer produced, modern track is nickle-silver. The old plated steel was always a pain to keep clean and gave poor running. Despite me being a retired computer networks engineer I prefer to do my planning on paper. Full sized using rolls of old wallpaper and Peco point templates, if you don't have a computer get someone to download them for you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Stokestation12

Postby Stokestation12 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:07 pm

So I'm in the process of cleaning and testing my locos.
One thing that I have found is that the loco for my Lima Intercity hst is screeching a lot. Will a good clean remedy this?
I have also noticed that another Lima loco is struggling to pull 2 or 3 intercity hst coaches. Is there any way to remedy low torque or any other troubleshooting ideas?

Return to “Track/Layout Design”