Complete New Layout -Advice

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
OzzyOzborne

Complete New Layout -Advice

Postby OzzyOzborne » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi
I’ve had a couple of layouts over the years,the last was probably 40 years ago with Triang.
I’ve now got more time on my hands and want to start off the hobby again. I’m having the garage loft converted into a hobby room to give me space for a layout. I have my old board which is 8x4 ready and ideally want to make it bigger,but all depends on what space I end up with.
I just need some help in planning my layout and would ideally like to use a plan pre tried and tested. This is where I’m struggling to try and find some layouts to view and they also include what track is required.
I would like tunnels,viaducts and stations with a continuous loop/s so fairly simple. Also plan to start with DCC.
I have been buying a fair amount of Skaledale buildings , and some locos which are not DCC but would like them converting.
Any help and advice would be great!
Thanks
Mike

Mountain

Re: Complete New Layout -Advice

Postby Mountain » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm

It all depends on the available space. Usually most of us make our plans to suit the location. There are ways via online programs to plan a layout, but I tend to try things and see if they fit. Is different foe me as I am now into 7mm narrow gauge.
When I was into 00 gauge more, I would use Hornby track planning stensils, or quarter scale Hornby track planning symbols... There are plastic jigsaw type planning pieces which slot into each other. I bought two packs. I may sell them as I tend to use flexible track. The symbols are better for those who use rigid track pieces.

OzzyOzborne

Postby OzzyOzborne » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks.....
Can you explain more about flexitrack and how it can be used against ie Hornby layout plans?
How do you know what and how much to buy?
Thanks

heda

Postby heda » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Flexi track, is as the name suggests, flexible track rather than pre shaped sections (straight or curved) so it can be used to make curves to suit your plan. It comes in three foot lengths so has less joins than ordinary track.
Regarding a layout plan, I would suggest you sketch something out roughly and post it on here, give people something to work on, whether you just want an oval and a siding, two or three ovals, lots of sidings.
planning tunnels and bridges etc can be done once you have a basic track plan in place.
Dave

Return to “Track/Layout Design”