Industries along branch lines?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Industries along branch lines?

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:43 pm

So I suppose keeping within steam era. Im hoping as a collective we can list different industries that would have been placed near branch line through and terminus stations, allowing the drop off and collection of wagons/ goods.

Going through track plans beginning to plan my next project and not quite finding what Im looking for from a prototypical perspective I'm thinking if I'm to build a branch line terminus I want something more going on than just a goods shed and a cattle dock that seems to be the norm.

It will be a good list I would think for others planning similar ventures.

User avatar
ttreba
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby ttreba » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:56 pm

If you've not already seen it, http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/12-linind/012-index.htm has a lot of info along the lines you're looking for.
Chuffing along s l o w y

NickH
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby NickH » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 pm

You might find the branch line to Dursley in Gloucestershire of interest. Over time the very simple station became enveloped by the Lister factory.

mahoganydog
Posts: 766
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Sat looking at the computer screen

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 pm

What about something really out of the ordinary like a tweed mill?

There was one that had a siding but it was a long way from Scotland....
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

User avatar
End2end
Posts: 4461
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: At the end....... and sometimes at the other end

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby End2end » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 pm

@joshv8
If your modelling an actual place (however loosely) you should be able to find out the industries along the line.
Whenever "Cornwall" and "railway freight" is mentioned from the steam era it usually entails mostly china clay traffic (some tin and copper too) but there was also arsenic mined in Cornwall which is hardly ever mentioned. (I wonder why? :lol: )
Wether it got transport by rail I don't know but it had to be transported somehow and rail would be the obvious choice. Especially over longer distances.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 pm

ttreba wrote:If you've not already seen it, http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/12-linind/012-index.htm has a lot of info along the lines you're looking for.


Thanks for the link ttreba! Its a very interesting resource, I have managed to read some but still have much to go.

And thank you NickH, mahoganydog and End2end. Some interesting ideas there. I need to learn more about the industries and warehouses they used.

User avatar
ttreba
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby ttreba » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 pm

joshv8 wrote:
ttreba wrote:If you've not already seen it, http://www.igg.org.uk/rail/12-linind/012-index.htm has a lot of info along the lines you're looking for.


Thanks for the link ttreba! Its a very interesting resource, I have managed to read some but still have much to go.

And thank you NickH, mahoganydog and End2end. Some interesting ideas there. I need to learn more about the industries and warehouses they used.


Yes, it's not a quick read by any means! I'd had it bookmarked for ages but hadn't looked at it for quite some time, so your original post has been a welcome reminder of it for me.
Chuffing along s l o w y

Bigmet
Posts: 6892
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Some of the most useful operations that justify traffic that otherwise would not exist are those that were intentionally well distant from stations and human occupation. One is broadly 'defence': munitions works, military installations of army, boaty or fly boy persuasion, and of course 'the place of secrets' ; and then civil stuff like isolation hospitals, His Majesty's involuntary holiday camps, open cast quarrying, liquid and gas fuel storage, noxious/toxic industries.

All you need is a line heading away through a scenic break with the traffic in and out to be worked as required; including trains for the workforce in many cases. Or it can even be screened by a smaller business adjacent the branch with far more modest traffic.

Here's a goodun, which also allows an authentic roundy roundy layout if going the whole hog of modelling part or all of the operation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROF_Thorp_Arch

User avatar
joshv8
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia.

Re: Industries along branch lines?

Postby joshv8 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 pm

Bigmet wrote:Some of the most useful operations that justify traffic that otherwise would not exist are those that were intentionally well distant from stations and human occupation. One is broadly 'defence': munitions works, military installations of army, boaty or fly boy persuasion, and of course 'the place of secrets' ; and then civil stuff like isolation hospitals, His Majesty's involuntary holiday camps, open cast quarrying, liquid and gas fuel storage, noxious/toxic industries.

All you need is a line heading away through a scenic break with the traffic in and out to be worked as required; including trains for the workforce in many cases. Or it can even be screened by a smaller business adjacent the branch with far more modest traffic.

Here's a goodun, which also allows an authentic roundy roundy layout if going the whole hog of modelling part or all of the operation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROF_Thorp_Arch


Absolutely fascinating idea Bigmet.
Uk modelling in Australia tends to be difficult, why? Because we're simply not there. There's so much history but unless you know what to look for or what question to ask you dont find it.
Also just general geographical features even to the point of how weeds woukd grow around a station platform are different to here and you rely on poor photos of prototypes or look at what others have modelled to try get an idea. So the input of yourself and other forum members is such a great advantage and appreciated.

Ive been reading on thorpe arch and while I cant see myself building the entire thing, the main station and if excited perhaps a compressed version of the sidings could be interesting. Even without the sidings as you say it only needs to be a scene I suppose to work traffic through.
So where would I find a list of what goods would have travelled in and out by rail?


Return to “Track/Layout Design”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests