Inspiration Required For 'O' Gauge Layout Please.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Spavo

Inspiration Required For 'O' Gauge Layout Please.

Postby Spavo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a space in the loft room, recently vacated, which I am claiming for my own!

The overall room size is a little over 12' x 10' with no obstructions such as doors etc.

After scouring the web for a day or 4, I am struggling to find the inspiration for a track plan in 'O' gauge so felt the need to come and ask!

Having been so terribly guilty in the past of filling baseboards with track in 'OO', and due to failing eyesight, I am seriously looking at moving into 'O' gauge territory which will be kinder to my eyes and also give me fresh impetus.

What I am looking for ideally, and I am aware this may be too much to ask for, is -

Single track mainline/branch with a corner station and passing loop and access for a loco shed or loading dock/goods siding.

Also on the other side of the layout access from the main line into some sort of small industry with facilities for preparing trains and small shunting operations.

I can comfortably manage 90cm deep baseboards although feel free to experiment with any shape and size baseboard within the area of the room.

The era will be mid/late BR steam.

Before making any further committment to coming out of my current garage layout and moving away from 'OO" I would love to be inspired enough to fully commit to that change.

I know it's a lot to ask but any help would be greatly appreciated!

With kind regards,

Gavin.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mahoganydog

Re: Inspiration Required For 'O' Gauge Layout Please.

Postby mahoganydog » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Gavin,

That is something I have been toying with for a long time. My idea was an industrial complex perhaps with some coaches used for worker transport and a pannier or Jinty occasionally appearing to collect/bring in wagons. On each side could be a different industry with one acting maybe as the transfer sidings. A canal dockside on one perhaps?

Some ideas anyway seeing as there are quite a few industrials made RTR in O gauge. Peco, Slaters and Parkside are your sources for wagon kits but there are others though you'll be really lucky to find some such as the old Coopercraft kits (do NOT try buying anything through their site, you will NEVER get it).

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Generally when I was modelling in 00 I would build a layout board (My dad did most of the woodwork as he was a carpenter) and I would then work out the track plan. Yes, the boards would be made wide enough to take curves etc.
I am a hands on sort of person so I will tend to buy a little track and something like a starter loco and coach to experiment with, and after experimenting, then I will start to plan. But for others (As we are all different) they will plan before they buy anything.

Now the only thing that concerns me is about the minimum curves available in 0 gauge. I am not sure what this is. An 0 gauge modeller will be able to advize here. Yes, I do model in 0 gauge but my 0 gauge is the narrow gauge version of 0 gauge so my curves are quite sharp!

I have had a thought. N gauge needs a 2ft wide board. 00 gauge needs a 4ft wide board as 00 gauge is around twice the size of N. Now 0 gauge is almost twice the size as 00 so in theory will it mean that it needs an 8ft wide board or wider? I am not sure, but for planning purposes this information will be needed.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 am

Thanks Both I really appreciate the input.

I am working things through in my head at the moment and your advice has certainly helped thank you.

Many thanks again,

Gavin.

NickH

Postby NickH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:53 am

Although I don't model in O Gauge, I have always found the book on small layouts published by the Gauge O Guild an interesting and inspirational read. http://www.gauge0guildarchive.com/gazet ... wnload.pdf for the download. The great thing is that most designs are backed up with photos of the actual layout, so an absence of the more impossible plans that some "experts" have published.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Mountain wrote:I have had a thought. N gauge needs a 2ft wide board. 00 gauge needs a 4ft wide board as 00 gauge is around twice the size of N. Now 0 gauge is almost twice the size as 00 so in theory will it mean that it needs an 8ft wide board or wider? I am not sure, but for planning purposes this information will be needed.

I think it would be easier to go around the outside of the room. There are an awful lot of layouts done like this many with a terminus of some kind in the middle though you could try a figure of eight, I'm sure a OO plan could be adjusted.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Keep it simple, over egging track in OO is even worse in O gauge. Just do a simple single track loop, you will need to keep the corners large to give a decent radius, a simple passing loop at the station and one or two sidings into a TMD with a couple of tracks/turntable.
Thats just my opinion.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:30 pm

mahoganydog wrote:
Mountain wrote:I have had a thought. N gauge needs a 2ft wide board. 00 gauge needs a 4ft wide board as 00 gauge is around twice the size of N. Now 0 gauge is almost twice the size as 00 so in theory will it mean that it needs an 8ft wide board or wider? I am not sure, but for planning purposes this information will be needed.

I think it would be easier to go around the outside of the room. There are an awful lot of layouts done like this many with a terminus of some kind in the middle though you could try a figure of eight, I'm sure a OO plan could be adjusted.

Jim

I think both are correct - 0 gauge is approx double the size of 00 gauge - so, if you go around the outside of the room, the space you have available to you in 0 gauge is about the same as a 6ft x 5ft 00 gauge layout with an operating well in the centre.

TimberSurf wrote:Keep it simple, over egging track in OO is even worse in O gauge. Just do a simple single track loop, you will need to keep the corners large to give a decent radius, a simple passing loop at the station and one or two sidings into a TMD with a couple of tracks/turntable.
Thats just my opinion.

In 0 gauge terms you do not have a huge area, so as TimberSurf says, keeping it simple is probably good advice :-)

As already mentioned, another option is to try 0-16.5 like Mountain and myself. This gives you the benefits of 'eyesight-friendly' 7mm:ft scale, but also allows you prototypical radius curves and room for stations/industry etc. in the space you have. That amount of space would be great for narrow gauge! It can also be a LOT cheaper than standard gauge 0 gauge!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm

For once I forgot to mention 0-16.5. Wow, PNP beat me to it! :D
I can vouch for it the potential of 0-16.5 being cheap. I find it overall cheaper then modelling in 00 and can even be squashed into a space smaller then 00 as being narrow gauge, it is in its element to fit in a small space. (Of corse, if you have more space then it is ideal. I have an oval of track with my layout in 0-16.5 in just 7ft x 2ft which includes two passing loops and a siding).
Its an exciting option though you will need to be inventive. :)
Mind you, 0 gauge in standard gauge form is fantastic. Its just so expensive, but a smaller layout with just one or two locos and a few wagons or a couple of coaches should be ok if one is selective. I believe 0 gauge locos start at around £225 and up? And up and up and up! :D
With 0-16.5, a loco can be built up from around £25 and up if scratchbuilding onto a Hornby 0-4-0 loco as a donor. With a kit from the likes of Smallbrook Studio you are looking at about £60 to £100 all in depending on which kit and how you build it and what donor loco is used. (Also some of us do love their little accessories and custom nameplates and why not? The locos deserve them!)
The large savings for me are when I scratchbuild waggons. I can easily build them for less then £2 each, prehaps on occasions less then £1 each, though the results my be a little compromisistic.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you all for the excellent advice and tips...I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Gav.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”