New layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
heda

New layout

Postby heda » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Having sold all my N gauge I've started planning the new OO layout. I have a track plan sketched out,just a basic oval with a couple of passing loops and some sidings, The track size is 74” x 32”, the actual board will be 2” bigger, length and width, this about as big as I can go for easy storage and handling.
The curves are set track using R2 at the outsides and R1 in the middle, I'm hoping this will smooth the curve out a little, I'll only be running small trains so the R1 shouldn't be a problem.
The scenic break will probably be houses but although I have a theme in mind I haven't started planning the scenics in any great detail yet.
I'm hoping to have the wood delivered next week so I can make up the baseboard, I plan to lay th track out on the board before actually cutting it to size.

In the meantime I have been buying some rolling stock which I've been stripping down with a view to repainting it adding metal wheels and replacing the couplings with Kadee's.

Dave

Dragonfly

Re: New layout

Postby Dragonfly » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 pm

I've had a bit of a play in Anyrail to see if this is even possible, and it just works ...ish.

The outer loop, fine, as long as, as you said, you use 1st radius curves in the middle 90° of the 180° turns.

The goods yard, however, doesn't really fit. You won't be able to get 3 sidings in, only 2. And they'll be curved so uncoupling and coupling will be an utter pain.

heda_01.jpg

So I'd suggest instead having one siding on each side. These can then be straight enough to allow easier uncoupling, and still have a goods shed on one side and a loading platform on the other.

heda_02.jpg

Bear in mind that your station is going to be very short, so hopefully you're only planning on a couple of short coaches?
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 pm

I like that second plan Dragonfly.
Is a nice plan Heda.

heda

Postby heda » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks for that, I do know it is a tight fit, I was planning to lay the oval then play around with the sidings. I could move a set of points to the right which would give me more room for the curve. I was planning to use R1 coming off the points into the siding and hoped to have enough room for a short straight (9" - 12" ) in the yard.
The station is only really going to be a small halt just enough for one full length or two short coaches.
As size is the deciding factor ( the board needs to be easily manageable for moving round the house and storing ) I'll have to play around and see what I can do. Once the wood arrives I can cut it to 34”, loose lay the track and see what minimum length I can get away with. As always it is a compromise.
Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Further to Dragonfly's plan, although I am not sure it would fit exactly so you may need to use lengths of track (in the sidings) that you can cut down to size, here's 4 sidings at the rear.
heda_02E2E.jpg
heda_02E2E.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 563 times

This also manages to give you sidings in both directions as does the original front plan.
One of my bug bears on a layout is only having sidings in one direction so at some point you'll need to reverse onto a main line. :evil:
Space usually being the suspect.

Apologies for butchering your plan Dragonfly. :oops: :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 pm

heda wrote:[...]I do know it is a tight fit, I was planning to lay the oval then play around with the sidings. I could move a set of points to the right which would give me more room for the curve. I was planning to use R1 coming off the points into the siding and hoped to have enough room for a short straight (9" - 12" ) in the yard.[...]

You are exceptionally tight for space, an extra couple of inches for the width would really help. Either that or have a separate detachable fiddle yard.

I thought I would have a little play, it's not a complete track plan, just a few ideas to see if they fit in, this is what I have come up with:
snapshot.png

The left half is your plan. The right half is me playing about with a few different point layouts.

At the top right I was seeing if you could fit an oval and two passing places in using curved points. Without increasing the size you can't.
But by only using R1 curves you could increase the length of your hidden storage with only a small increase of baseboard width.

The bottom right shows where you can gain some space by using Y-points.

You could save yourself even more space by using a three-way point.
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

heda

Postby heda » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks all for the input it is appreciated. I may try to extend the board by a couple of inches. space / size is always the problem.
I want to have R1 & R2 curves to smooth it out a bit so the 32" should be OK which is good,
Dave

heda

Postby heda » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm

A slight alteration, tried laying some track loosely and it looks like if I add a Peco ST202 section which is 3” long it will give me a bit more leeway for the sidings without adding to much width to the baseboard, it will also give me a slightly longer run around at the back.
I can't really go much wider so I've ordered a couple, once the board arrives I'll lay the oval and see what options I have with the goods yard sidings.
Dave

heda

Postby heda » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 pm

The board has been cut to size, I laid the track loosely to see how the siding would work out and by laying them into the deepest part of the curve I can get around 9” straight sections which is what I had planned.
Once I've made up the baseboard frame I'll pin the oval in place with drawing pins and mark out where the points motors are going then I can lay the track properly.
Dave

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 pm

It would appear you are working with a 3x5 base. From this side of the pond, your American Cousin's would be most at a loss. Not only have you
worked in a track plan that gives the viewer a narrative- a country station stop- you've managed to conceal off the back portion and have a
small staging area for something else to appear and continuation the narration. And a couple of stubs to mix up the commodity to be run. If you will accept my compliment, this is really quite clever.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am

Thank you Chops, compliments are always welcome :)
The board size ended up at 34” x 78”, I had the idea in my mind but it was thanks to the input on here that I managed to get it right.
The layout is well under way now – A 1944 themed layout. It's pretty much turning out how I hoped, being a pretty small board for OO gauge I'm trying to make the track appear longer than it actually is by using the scenic break and tunnels.
Dave

Return to “Track/Layout Design”