Santa Special

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
kebang

Santa Special

Postby kebang » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Trying to make a slight improvement on the Hornby 'Santa Special' track (which is a 1st rad oval) to make it more interesting as it circles the Christmas Tree. Is a loco & a couple trucks going to be able to cope with the gradients shown?
48x36.png
48x36.png (71.65 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Re: Santa Special

Postby 45655 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 am

It depends on the stock, the only way really to know is to set it up and see if it works.

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am

I was thinking that I need to 'suck it & see'. Unfortunately its not been delivered yet! Packed & dispatched by Hattons on 16th. November but no sign of it yet :(
I'm sure its not Hattons fault, Once the package arrives in Manila It takes at least another week for it to make its way to Bohol, plenty of chances for it to get mislaid by Philpost.......
I think this the reason a lot of suppliers won't post to the Philippines.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 pm

00 gauge or 0-16.5?

kebang

Postby kebang » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Its the OO gauge Hornby 'Santa Express'. Purchased for running around the base of the Christmas Tree. The good news is it has finally arrived here in the Philippines. Collected it from the post office this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'll see if it can manage the 'roller coaster' I've designed for it!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:07 pm

I have a little set though it wasn't thw Christmas set. I was using it to test trains but I have noticed the wire casing has come away near the transformer itself, so those who own Hornby controllers (Or actually any similar transformer) do a check that the wire casing has not come away bearing the internal wire. It is a good job I've noticed before the bare wires touched. I may be able to do something with it. If not, I have another little controller. I only used it as a convenient way to test trains.

It is a lovely plan Kebang. Being 00 gauge and just having short trains, I don't see an issue with the gradients. If you want to run longer trains then it won't work, but for just a few wagons it should work OK.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”