Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
deanno

Re: Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Post by deanno »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Just run the two tracks in parallel, gives you a longer loop line.

Jim
I didn't even think of that, It would flow so much better. Thanks
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Are you using Hornby set track? I see you have used a couple of flex tracks in there. I'm having a devil of a time to make it work in set track only.
Regards
Rob
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Here is how I would do it, it also removes the clearance issue pointed out by Mountain, the crossover is optional
modification.jpg
modification.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

With two tracks in parallel you can run two trains at the same time. Just a thought.
Back on the track !
Chris
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Montfort wrote:With two tracks in parallel you can run two trains at the same time. Just a thought.
The design has several places where two trains can pass each other. A single line layout with a few passing loops and sidings can provide more operational interest, as long as you're not an obsessive collector of new trains.
Regards
Rob
deanno

Post by deanno »

Ironduke wrote:Are you using Hornby set track? I see you have used a couple of flex tracks in there. I'm having a devil of a time to make it work in set track only.
Hi, yes it's Hornby set track with some flexi
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice.
deanno

Post by deanno »

Ok, i have tweaked the plan a bit. Are the reference numbers for the points old numbers, i have looked on Hattons and can't find them.Not sure whether to add a siding on the right side for an industry/factory etc.
track-b.png
End2end

Post by End2end »

If you replicated the inner loop on the right hand side as well you could have 2 trains running simultaneously. :idea:
Beware that curved points can be a real pain in the....tender-end.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

You have also re-introduced that clearance issue at the entrance to the yard - beware of this especially when using small radius curves. If you have something parked on the main line and then run a loco into the yard it will probably side swipe

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
deanno

Post by deanno »

luckymucklebackit wrote:You have also re-introduced that clearance issue at the entrance to the yard - beware of this especially when using small radius curves. If you have something parked on the main line and then run a loco into the yard it will probably side swipe

jim
What about this one,
peco track.png
luckymucklebackit

That's Better

jim
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Just another idea...
peco track.jpg
Back on the track !
Chris
Chops

Post by Chops »

The crossing adds operational interest as it will challenge the operator(s) to keep trains apart, and on schedule. Perhaps not prototypical in practice, but that is a choice. Surely, diamond crossing exist somewhere in the UK? As to running the two lines parallel, not sure which two, but in either event the present format allows for some interesting structures, or village, in the open area. I would consider adding a gentle curvature to the back line, as it adds a little drama of a train sweeping through a curve in the countryside.
Crash 001.JPG
Crash 001.JPG (126.54 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Now surely I do not deliberately crash my rail models deliberately, not too mention that after shipping I pay about double for any given item, but it certainly raises the stakes in a roundy-round. Fortunately, the rugged neoprene buffer bars prevent any damage, though I go to great lengths to not test them.

You might also wish to erect a little barrier tacked to the base board edges at the curves in the event something goes wonky and flies off the rails. Another thought is that the rear of the baseboard will be flush against the wall. Measure your arm. Two and a half feet is a comfortable reach to the back line, and I am 6 foot. Three feet is doable, but it will require a stretch. Anything beyond three feet will likely be out of reach.

I am arguing with myself whilst I layout some more replacement sections of excellent Hornby track (to replace American bits which are subsuitable) NOT to build this track plan. The expense, the time, the...the...
Nessie rocks!
End2end

Post by End2end »

This is what I mean by having 2 loops.
peco track.jpg
peco track.jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread