Control of PCB points

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
pete12345

Control of PCB points

Post by pete12345 »

Planning to hand-build the points for my loft layout, which will run round the edges of the space. Obviously solenoid motors aren't very suitable, so what are my options? When I last built a layout it was wire in tube or tortoise so there may have been a few developments since then. :)
b308

Re: Control of PCB points

Post by b308 »

Not really, wire in the tube or a variant I use of cutting a slot in the top of the baseboard and running a piece of rail to the edge. Remember that whatever you use it has to "lock" the point when it is thrown. I use those cheap DPDT slider switches and they switch the frog polarity at the same time. There probably are other (more expensive) commercial versions out there but I take the view why try and fix an idea when it ain't broke!
Last edited by b308 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Yes, a few more options are available now. Look at DCC Concepts Cobalt, is one of several new stall motor types and RC servo's are very good.
Extensive list at Lumsdonia Points

There are some very nice lever racks available now, if you choose wire in tube
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

b308 wrote:Not really, wire in the tube or a variant I use of cutting a slot in the top of the baseboard and running a piece of rail to the edge. Remember that whatever you use it has to "lock" the point when it is thrown. I use those cheap DPDT slider switches and they switch the frog polarity at the same time. There probably are other (more expensive) commercial versions out there but I take the view why try and fix an idea when it ain't broke!
I would add to this that the larger toggle switches can have the lever drilled through and one can run a stiff wire to the point, so if the leverage is right, it can change frog polarity... You may need a separate lever if you don't want your switch to have a wire coming out the lever. Get the leverage right and the switch will also act to keep the blades in position at the point itself.
While I've not tried it myself, in theory it should work. Was just an idea I had but not yet tried. Not quite reached the wiring or control aspect of the hand made points on my layout yet. One step at a time... :D
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Wire in tube might still be the simplest way to go then, using switches of some sort as a lever. I guess I'd just have several lever frames adjacent to each major area of pointwork, though there's nothing stopping me having a complete track diagram at each point with indicator LEDs to check the complete route.
b308

Post by b308 »

Mountain wrote:While I've not tried it myself, in theory it should work. Was just an idea I had but not yet tried. Not quite reached the wiring or control aspect of the hand made points on my layout yet. One step at a time... :D
It does, Mountain, I know people who have done it that way, I just find the slider switches easier to drill!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Thanks. Yes, I've seen slide switches drilled. I initially drilled a large double pole changeover switch with the aim at fixing two switches together but the idea wasn't needed so only one was drilled. It was quite easy to drill as I remember.